Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Hamilton's form has been pretty good this year but the same can be said about all seasons he's been in F1 so far.... the difference is this time he actually managed to stay in the title fight with a car that wasn't a match for the RBRs. I think it's a good thing he's old man's gone too. For some reasons I find him almost not annoying by himself.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Unfortunately Hamilton still has the same chink in the armour in the second half of a season. Petulance cost him Japan, Korea and Italy but to be fair I thought he was unfortunate in Singapore which in my mind was a simple racing incident.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Unfortunately Hamilton still has the same chink in the armour in the second half of a season. Petulance cost him Japan, Korea and Italy but to be fair I thought he was unfortunate in Singapore which in my mind was a simple racing incident.
    Japan? Firstly he had a grid penalty for gearbox change and after having fought his way up to 4th from P8, he started suffering from the same issue in the race too.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Japan? Firstly he had a grid penalty for gearbox change and after having fought his way up to 4th from P8, he started suffering from the same issue in the race too.
    Collision with Webber in Singapore did damage to the first gearbox in Japan.

Went off in FP which was unforgivable because this was in the dry compared to wet FP in Germany and lost vital FP time.

Despite his talents on Saturday and Sunday I still find it somewhat unforgivable because there will come a time when such an error will compromise the rest of his weekend.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamy
    F1 needs to quit the BS and let cars draft and the best driver will win.
    F1 cars don't draft very well.

Because the car in front disturbs the air that it passes through, cars which follow pass through disturbed air which totally mucks up the effectiveness of their front and rear wings.
    Formula One cars tend to follow each other at a few car lengths for this reason.

If you really want proper drafting in F1, then the best suggestion would be to remove the front and rear wings entirely. This would result in the cars themselves probably looking more like Formula Fords, and without the downforce, the cars wouldn't be able to corner as quickly and we'd see an increase in lap times.
    Somehow I just don't think that the establishment would let that fly.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    1 WDC in 4 years is not looking good for all the records he he was tipped to brake certainly not the next schumacherthe way he is going
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt
    1 WDC in 4 years is not looking good for all the records he he was tipped to brake certainly not the next schumacherthe way he is going
    That's the thing about Schumacher's numbers though. Any driver will sit in the shadow of that level of dominance which we are unlikely to see again. MS has as many WDCs as Prost & Senna combined. Does that mean, by itself, that he's that much of a better driver than either of them? IMHO no.

The likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel (generally considered to be the best of the current crop) are unlikely to approach 7 WDC's in their careers, partly because they are competing against each other. That doesn't diminish their ability or achievements.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    That's the thing about Schumacher's numbers though. Any driver will sit in the shadow of that level of dominance which we are unlikely to see again. MS has as many WDCs as Prost & Senna combined. Does that mean, by itself, that he's that much of a better driver than either of them? IMHO no.

The likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel (generally considered to be the best of the current crop) are unlikely to approach 7 WDC's in their careers, partly because they are competing against each other. That doesn't diminish their ability or achievements.
    and yet MS went 4 years before getting title #3 when many folks back then were saying he made the biggest mistake going to ferrari or that he will never win titles again.

Only time will tell how Hamilton fairs amongst the greatest. but currently amongst his contemporaries, he is tops along with Alonso, maybe even passing him this year.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think it will take a looooooooooooooong time before anyone comes close to 7 WDC's. To put into perspective how amazing MS's record is...if a driver races for 21 years, they would have to win the WDC every 3 attempts. If they race for 14 years, they would have to win the WDC every second attempt. Thats pretty daunting for anyone to try and match.

I doublt that Alonso will achieve that, but Vettel and Hamilton are still pretty young and have at least another 15 years in them if they keep fit.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Some great points by all regarding titles, statistics, etc and how they don't always reflect on the overall talent of a driver. I've said in another thread how I doubt any driver in the current field can match the records of Schumacher.... there are far too many very talented drivers in the current field. Assuming silly season doesn't remove any of them the 2011 grid will have 5 WDCs on it, and all but one of them still young and very much in the hunt for another title.

I think Lewis will be among the top few drivers for years to come. He is improving overall IMHO, and being a more calculating driver. His speed has never been questionable and his overtaking skills can't be touched by the current top drivers.

And at a fairly young age, Lewis does have a claim which most can't make. In equal machinery, he has now proven that he has outscored 2 other WDC title holders.