Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBC and Versus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NBC and Versus

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/66584

^any speculation on potential impact for the IRL...

there has been saome serios WAG's about Indycar ending up on NBC.....I for one dont see that happening.....Im wondering if Versus gets killed off does the league still have a contract.....and is that a good or bad thing..

thoughts? comments?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Indycar ratings are too low for anyone to start caring about. The more sports properties NBC/Versus will own, the lower Indycar comes in the pecking order.
    Versus won't break the contract because it's still a whopping 7 more years, but they simply stop making an effort. And then they will start bullying like ESPN did by pre-empting races for womens rugby or whatever.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is comforting to seethe IRL featured so prominently in the article. Glad to know they care (or matter)....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kind of misleading. Versus does't get "killed off", it's simply renamed. Big difference. A channel named "NBC Sports" would have a bigger pull than "VS" I would imagine.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykiki
    Kind of misleading. Versus does't get "killed off", it's simply renamed. Big difference. A channel named "NBC Sports" would have a bigger pull than "VS" I would imagine.
    That's exactly what I have been toldcandhave been saying since the Comcast NBC deal was announced. Comcast wants more than just the over the air channel. They want the NBC name. An NBC sports network is an immediate challenge to ABC /ESPN. Combine all of Comcast 's regional sports networks, all of the mi.or league sports franchises they control or outright own, the golf channel, and a re-named (thank Gawd) versus with NBC sports name and there is one he!! Of a dominant presence in sports entertainment. Comcast signed the IRL deal and they already have experience with NASCAR and ALMS.

I think the renamed versus will end up on most networks and the TV deal will end up just fine.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    NBC Sports is a stronger brand than Versus, which is why Comcast, in the first couple of months after regulatory approval, will rename Versus to something like the NBC Sports Channel or NBC Sports Network.
    If it comes to pass it is Very Good News for the IRL.

A Notre Dame Football game is a better lead in than the Collegiate Bass Championships (I kid you not. That will be on Vs. this Saturday at 12:30 pm Saturday)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hopefully if it comes about they will get on the basic cable/satellite networks up here. Then TSN will be shut out and Cdns. can see the races without having to purchase an expensive package to get TSN2 where most of the races are shown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    The Collegiate Bass Championships
    Nothing wrong with a little collegiate bass.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Nothing wrong with a little collegiate bass.
    Lol true, and Anthony must not watch VS that much because the lead-ins have been WAY worse than collegiate bass. At least it's a sport. Lately I've seen lead-ins from infomercials and how-to fishing shows.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    It is comforting to seethe IRL featured so prominently in the article. Glad to know they care (or matter)....
    Lol, for a second there I thought you were serious, and I was surprised because they NEVER include IndyCar in these business articles. IndyCar must be making some progress.. Then I saw the 2-page article and not a single reference to the IRL. Yes, I should have known better.