Page 55 of 222 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Maybe check out this great piece on TMG headquarters and the wealth of facilities they have. Say what you want about TMG's projects, but there is no chance that Tommi will be able to put together a factory which comes in any way close to this.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/...torsport-tour/

Have to admit I hadn't seen any reports of TMG looking to sell the Yaris WRC to privateers. Surely the window for that happening is closing fast.
    I sure agree with you. I was a bit provocative with my comment. However fancy facilities can also be very misleading. Not so many success stories start inside big corporate buildings. Too much moving parts and processes to be agile. Usually what is needed is a quite small but exceptional team with all the decision power and enough resources (support personnel, facilities, machines etc). By building a new team of 100+ members Toyota is trying to do just that.
    Last edited by vkangas; 19th July 2015 at 18:23.

2. Likes: Simmi (19th July 2015)
    Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
    Petter we want u back in WRC

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Would bet quit a lot on it being Tommi himself driving the GT86, very Tommi and very Nose End First. Looks "slow", but very effective. Cool that they still work with the GT86
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vkangas View Post
    For me it seems pretty obvious (based on public info) that the performance of TMG's WRC Yaris has been carefully evaluated and Toyota is not happy with it. It might be ok but their target in the future is of course to beat VW.

As Mirek pointed out TMG's recent projects have not been huge successes so perfectly right thing to do is to try something completely new. I have no contacts to TMG but for me it seems that it's a little bit old-school R&D unit full of middle-aged men (after F1 project was ended). Why else would they say publicly that now they want to buid a young team and attract new talents etc.

The one thing I fear is that Tommi sets up Toyota's operations to Finland even if it's not an optimal solution. The whole thing is perfectly doable from Finland but it's really a serious effort (+money) that is needed to attract the best engineering talents from other WRC (+F1 etc) teams from Central Europe.
    Back in the days I interviewed Flavio Briattore, also on his view of Toyota not winning in F1. He laughed a bit and said that they gathered way to much data, and prioritized all data equal. This was at the time i believe Renault F1 was experimenting with weight distribution on the Santa Pod dragstrip etc. TMG is a very impressive outfit, but they have less success to show for than the facilities conveys. In every corporation it is important to have a very clear picture of where You are going, who is in charge of what, etc (communication I think its called), and the bigger the organisation the more important the clarity is.
    In VW this works very well with a triangle of Jost Capito, FX and Ogier.
    I hope Tommi Mäkinen can lead the way in the same manor.

One thing that will be beneficial is that he "grew up" in a very family-like team with Mitsubishi.
    One thing that can be a challenge is Tommi being Finnish, and Finnish people doesn't have the reputation to be to outspoken, and especially when there is problems/challenges they often tend to step back in silent contemplation in stead of team communication.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Tommi, I even got to passanger him in the Evo 8 I had brought to Finland (which was a bit special since he was long in to his Subaru contract), and he is more outspoken than the typical Finn, but leading a big corporation with a Toyota WRC effort will be, will be a challenge.

I think he will do very well. The question will be if he can get the right drivers. A driver that would be very good for him is actually Neuville, all be it that he is in a slump. Neuville cand drive very effectively (Nose End First) when he has the right set up, is in the right mood, is not stressed etc, but he seems to have no clue how to get back in "the zone." Tommi could fix that. But that would mean that Neuville has to be open for input, and humble.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Back in the days I interviewed Flavio Briattore, also on his view of Toyota not winning in F1. He laughed a bit and said that they gathered way to much data, and prioritized all data equal. This was at the time i believe Renault F1 was experimenting with weight distribution on the Santa Pod dragstrip etc. TMG is a very impressive outfit, but they have less success to show for than the facilities conveys. In every corporation it is important to have a very clear picture of where You are going, who is in charge of what, etc (communication I think its called), and the bigger the organisation the more important the clarity is.
    In VW this works very well with a triangle of Jost Capito, FX and Ogier.
    I hope Tommi Mäkinen can lead the way in the same manor.

One thing that will be beneficial is that he "grew up" in a very family-like team with Mitsubishi.
    One thing that can be a challenge is Tommi being Finnish, and Finnish people doesn't have the reputation to be to outspoken, and especially when there is problems/challenges they often tend to step back in silent contemplation in stead of team communication.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Tommi, I even got to passanger him in the Evo 8 I had brought to Finland (which was a bit special since he was long in to his Subaru contract), and he is more outspoken than the typical Finn, but leading a big corporation with a Toyota WRC effort will be, will be a challenge.

I think he will do very well. The question will be if he can get the right drivers. A driver that would be very good for him is actually Neuville, all be it that he is in a slump. Neuville cand drive very effectively (Nose End First) when he has the right set up, is in the right mood, is not stressed etc, but he seems to have no clue how to get back in "the zone." Tommi could fix that. But that would mean that Neuville has to be open for input, and humble.
    what do You think of the challenge in terms of logistics and international team based in Finland? we all know Makkinen is excellent driver, and probably will be good as wrc team manager, but it'll work more "globally"?
    Last edited by stefanvv; 20th July 2015 at 20:53.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    it would be nice GT86 for a wrc car
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
    is tommi in yaris???? :/
    Petter we want u back in WRC

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaggelis27 View Post
    is tommi in yaris???? :/
    NO
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Last edited by Barreis; 21st July 2015 at 16:26.

Liked 82 Times in 58 Posts
    seems he has still the rhythm