Page 125 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2215
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Sounds like a Mini WRC with a sore throat.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Tommi is one of, if not the, best test driver(s) in WRC history. He has a very clear vision of how a WRC car should perform, some of it is very easily visible in the videos and pictures that have surfaced so far.
    I think it would be a great mistake if he didnt take on an active roll on the testing and developing of the car.
    I see it the other way around, when things start moving in 2017, with all the rallies and logistics etc, they Toyota Gazoo will have a "problem" in that Tommi cant be as active as he is now.
    Lunde, you're on the money here. Makinen is uniquely placed as a team principle to understand and guide technical development and it would be a waste of such a resource if he were not involved in testing.
    Anyone who thinks this project will be undercooked or anything other than a full on effort doesn't know Toyota, Makinen, or rally history at all.

Rallyper, you've never been thought of in this forum as a bastion of rationality but nevertheless please refrain from putting the Greek twat on a pedestal. He may from time to time bring an element of childish humor however his propensity for insult surpasses any good and he is undeserving of your adulation.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

4. Likes: janvanvurpa (18th May 2016),RAS007 (17th May 2016),skarderud (17th May 2016)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    Lunde, you're on the money here. Makinen is uniquely placed as a team principle to understand and guide technical development and it would be a waste of such a resource if he were not involved in testing.
    Anyone who thinks this project will be undercooked or anything other than a full on effort doesn't know Toyota, Makinen, or rally history at all.
    Again, it's not about Toyota WANTING to win. It's whether this team environment is the right one. People do know history, they know that Tommi had a car designed around him - great for him but Mitsubishi never won a championship and Toyota won last time with TMG.

Name the last successful team principal who was a great driver themselves, any motorsport team? (I don't count MW in this as list).

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    Again, it's not about Toyota WANTING to win. It's whether this team environment is the right one. People do know history, they know that Tommi had a car designed around him - great for him but Mitsubishi never won a championship and Toyota won last time with TMG.

Name the last successful team principal who was a great driver themselves, any motorsport team? (I don't count MW in this as list).
    Citroën, Guy Frequelin. Most successful team in WRC history.

Ove "Påven" Andersson. Toyota TTE (the company that became TMG.)

(To name two)

That the team principal is a former driver doesnt need to be an advantage, and can also be a disadvantage. But in Tommis case, in regards to developing the car, I personally believe its a big advantage. Toyota Gazoo doesnt have the budget of VW, that means they have to try to outsmart them. Mäkinens abilities as a test driver are unique, so this is something that can help in that matter. How Mäkinen will be as a team principal, I dont know. But from looking at the car from the current videos, its clear to see they have a certain plan. Looking forward to seeing it on the rough stuff too.

(This thing about Mäkinen having the Mitsubishi built "around him" is just as misunderstood as Loeb having the Citroën built "around him".)
    Last edited by Lundefaret; 17th May 2016 at 06:54.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

7. Likes: Jeppe (17th May 2016),OldF (17th May 2016),pantealex (17th May 2016),TWRC (17th May 2016)
    Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post

Mitsubishi won the championship 1998

http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php?s=1998&nat=0

http://www.juwra.com/season_1998_points.html
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    What was Lasse Lampi job at ralliart during Makinen era?

Liked 86 Times in 23 Posts
    I also see Makinen's direct involvement in testing as a positive thing, remember Sainz's involvement in polo's early development.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    Rallyper, you've never been thought of in this forum as a bastion of rationality but nevertheless please refrain from putting the Greek twat on a pedestal. He may from time to time bring an element of childish humor however his propensity for insult surpasses any good and he is undeserving of your adulation.
    Would never claim I am, neither should anyone else. I´m not putting NOT on a piedestal, only saying (like others) that he brings some salt and pepper to this forum.

Ignore him if you don´t like him.

I´m rational and make my comments after more than 50 years experience as a rallydriver/organizer/freak. Sometimes my swedish pedigree makes me a bit angry to all quotes about worthless drivers from other parts of the world. But that´s what we all do now and then.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

12. Likes: spark13 (2nd August 2016)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Citroën, Guy Frequelin. Most successful team in WRC history.

Ove "Påven" Andersson. Toyota TTE (the company that became TMG.)

(To name two)

That the team principal is a former driver doesnt need to be an advantage, and can also be a disadvantage. But in Tommis case, in regards to developing the car, I personally believe its a big advantage. Toyota Gazoo doesnt have the budget of VW, that means they have to try to outsmart them. Mäkinens abilities as a test driver are unique, so this is something that can help in that matter. How Mäkinen will be as a team principal, I dont know. But from looking at the car from the current videos, its clear to see they have a certain plan. Looking forward to seeing it on the rough stuff too.

(This thing about Mäkinen having the Mitsubishi built "around him" is just as misunderstood as Loeb having the Citroën built "around him".)
    Cool, thanks for that. Didn't know about those guys.