Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Bones..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Broken Bones..

Why are broken bones soooo annoying?! I mean.. yes, they are painful, but once you get past the pain part and you just get a slight ache in the broken area it's really annoying!

For example, i broke my Upper Radial Head three weeks ago now. (for those who dont know what that is, it's the end of the forearm bone near the elbow, snapped it clean off!!) The surgery went well, the scar is healing niceley, but dammit! i still cant move my arm past 90 degrees inwards! It's so annoying! Like when i go to tie up my hair, that's a no go. need to twist my arm to grab something? uh uh. not happening. I mean, it's all fixed now! there is more metal in there than in a metallic thing! so why cant i move it yet?!

Conversely in the other direction, my arm almost straightens, but not enough to stop me looking like a cowboy at sundown with a pistol at the ready waitin' for some shootin'.

Another annoying thing? the pain that radiates from other areas in my arm when they're feeling sorry for my elbow. Like my wrist. My wrist is very sympathetic to the pains in my elbow, so it likes to hurt too, and send shooting pains like some weird game of pain ping pong.

And finally, my last whinge about my stupid broken arm. Why do people always doubt the fact that you have a broken arm just because you dont have a cast on? Therefore giving them the need to pull on the arm "just to make sure" Or when i'm walking around in public areas with my lovely blue surgical sling on, why do people always find a way to walk into me?

Sincerely,

"grumpy broken girl"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've broken a couple things in my body. I first broke my collar bone and I also rolled my ankle twice. The good thing about physical injuries as opposed to diseases like chicken pox or the flu is that you only have to deal with the pain when you injure yourself. Look on the bright side, at least you don't have to be stuck on your bed the entire day because you are too weak to move anywhere or because you feel like crap. The only part of your body that is disabled is your arm, the rest of you can carry on with your life as normal. Another great thing about physical injury is the ability to get other people to do stuff for you. You can really spoil yourself when you're injured

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina
    For example, i broke my Upper Radial Head three weeks ago now. (for those who dont know what that is, it's the end of the forearm bone near the elbow, snapped it clean off!!)
    Good that you explained what it is, or I'd thought you have more than one head.

Get well and less grumpy soon!
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They tell people who've had total hip or knee joint replacements not to bend the joint to an angle less than 90 degrees. It's just one of those things. Are you having the plates removed?

Sorry, I know very little about orthopaedics...
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Liked 676 Times in 473 Posts
    If injuries weren't annoying or painful in some way, a lot of us would just go right back out and do whatever caused the injury in the first place.

It's natures way of reminding us to take it easy just in case it didn't register the first time.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Don't tell me about broken bones being annoying. I broke (well fractured) my little finger once and I hd to have it taped up for TWO WEEKS. I couldn't write properly and changing the TV channel was difficult :

Seriously though that sounds pretty nasty. Sometimes when I overdo it riding my bike and don't warm down I get severe aches the next day and find it difficult to bend most of my limbs. Every now and then it's so bad that I have to go down stairs on my backside or it actually hurts to breath. All that is nasty enough but at least it only lasts for a couple of days tops so I can't even imagine what it would be like to not properly move something for several weeks.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    When I was little I had a cast on all the time. I wasn't too fancy of milk or other dairy products and maybe that's why my boned were like bird's. Nothing too serious though, just wrists and hands.

I feel for you Christina, especially because you won't be able to come Finland this year.

Get well soon
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Have you got to the part where the inside of the muscles begin to itch? Sure it's fine with a regular itch but when it happens so far down you literally can't scratch it, that's when I get the irrits.

The best cure however is brandy... err
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, grump away

Broken bones are utter pants. Even with a cast people will walk into you. Then you have the itchy skin and that weak feeling when the cast comes off. Cast-free is worse though, I bet. Wouldn't fancy that at all!

You have my sympathy and get better soon
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    If injuries weren't annoying or painful in some way, a lot of us would just go right back out and do whatever caused the injury in the first place.

It's natures way of reminding us to take it easy just in case it didn't register the first time.
    You mean this is supposed to tell me that i shouldnt be hanggliding? dont be stupid! the only thing that's stopping me from flying right now is the whole "not bending arm" thing.

Oh, and Leon. no the plates will not be removed. they're not restricting anything and surgery hurt enough the first time. i think my words before they gave me the morphine were "did they hit my arm with, like, a hammer or something? repeatedly?"

Another thing that's making me grumpy is that the scar is all little and neat and pathetic. If i have a cool accident (hangglider crash) that causes a cool injury (snapped bone) i want at least a decent scar to show for it, but nooo, they had to cut it all cleanly and suture so neatly that nobody can tell.