Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts

Rallye Sunseeker joins the BRC

After my moaning about a lack of BRC rounds in the South there will again be one and it will be Rallye Sunseeker

Will be brilliant to see some of the countries best up and coming talents and not have to travel half way around the country to do so

http://handbrakeshairpins.wordpress....oins-2011-brc/

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    There's a reason why there has been only a token BRC round in the south since the days when road events were included.

The over-hyped, over-priced event that is now the Sunseeker was refused application to be part of the BRC the year the Jim Clark Memorial Rally was first accepted into it. No one has planted any new forests in the area since and it would be (it's inclusion is not approved yet) a poor advert for a series that is in desperate straits compared to its golden days. Last time I was anywhere near Ringwood (not so long ago) I stood in one rut and could hardly see over the top.

Does anyone actually follow the BRC anyway these days? Where it is double-headed with the BHRC it seems to be seen as an irritating adjunct to the historic events!

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    You can find some decent spots on the Sunseeker but it's not great, especially since they stopped using St Leonards/Avon Park. However it's nice that one of the rallies that I usually try to attend will have something added to it, even if the BRC is a shadow of its former self.

Sadly I won't be there this year as Exeter have got Hartlepool at home.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I know some people don’t like the hype of the Sunseeker, but in this day and age, and the lack of decent Rally coverage – every BRC round should be promoted like the Sunseeker – it’s meant to be our Premier Rally series!!
    The lack of mileage for the opening round is forgiveable – my slight gripe is the lack of mileage of other rounds, surely it should over 2 days and 120-150 miles.
    I always enjoy my trip to the Sunseeker, and will hopefully continue to do so.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One thing you can say about the Sunseeker is that Rick Smith and team promote the back side off the event regardless of it's shortcomings on the durability of the stage surfaces etc.

The issue we should be talking about is not really with the events in the series and the format of those events but the ongoing problems with the BRC itself. Yes I've heard it from many a good source that there is a major problem with the way the events view the championship in return,however under the current regime there have been more "new dawns/eras" than the WRC!

Banning WRC cars was supposed to open up the series to "young guns" and increase competitor number significantly. On the first point we've had in the last couple of years a few younger crews mainly competing in the attached Mitsubishi Challenge and yes Mark Higgins was finally beaten last year by Cronin. However where are the increased number of competitors especially from overseas that had been mooted at the start of each year? Despite at least two high flying UK crews now competing in the IRC neither of these teams has made even a "guest appearence" on a BRC round, surely a major missed opportunity? It appears to the more cynical that the BRC is being propped up by the Historics and ANCRO/Gravel series and associated clubmens events so it looks to the casual obsever that everything is rosy in the garden with combined entries of 150+.

Good luck to the Sunseeker, the BRC likes hype and razamataz and making something out of not very much so it couldnt have found a better starting round!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Banning WRC cars was supposed to open up the series to "young guns" and increase competitor number significantly.
    I cannot think of an example of a domestic championship in any formula being successful when there is also a world championship for that same formula, yet the two are run to completely different technical regulations. In my view, there absolutely has to be parity between domestic and world series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rallye Sunseeker & Brc

May I correct the totally erroneous post of FAL?

Rallye Sunseeker has NEVER been refused entry into the BRC. A few years ago the event was observed for upgrading to International from National by the MSA; subsequent to that it was given the opportunity to either utilise its National permit ( correct if it was to stay in the National Series) or to be granted an International permit if it was to be in BRC.

Between that time and now, the organisers of Sunseeker and the Organisers of BRC (in their many guises) have continued to discuss and negotiate to ensure that both parties would benefit from a close association. Both Southern Car Club and Rally UK Ltd now judge that the time is appropriate, hence our pleasure in accepting an invitation to be the opening round in 2011.

While commenting, it does disappoint me that some members of this forum choose to denigrate the sterling efforts of others who seek to organise and promote rallies in the UK; no championship will ever be perfect but the sheer fact that clubs and promoters are willing to risk their money to put on events for competitors and spectators alike, should bring acclaim not trite unfounded criticism.

Rick Smith
    Event Director
    Rallye Sunseeker 2011

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Well said Rick. I've been to Sunseeker for many, many years now and every year its great to watch. Living in Kent its hard to get to many rallies, meaning its often only Rally GB and The Sunseeker for me per year, and I have to say I enjoy the Sunseeker every bit as much as Rally GB. For spectators its great, and you can see 4 stages in a day for a pretty reasonable price in my opinion.

Lets hope being part of the BRC pushes it from strength to strength in the future.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pettersolberg29
    For spectators its great, and you can see 4 stages in a day for a pretty reasonable price in my opinion.
    Wydean walks all over it when it comes to VFM, IMO. Although I'd imagine that a lot of this is to do with restrictions on how the forest is used and how much it costs (possibly differenet set ups with insurances etc. too). FWIW I rate the Sunseeker quite highly, it usually attracts a good entry and brings a forestry event to a region that is barren when it comes to rallying.

The three main issues that people seem to have with the event are, a)Stage miles/spectating areas are limited (constricted by location more than anything), b)the cost (they have to cover insurances/fees somehow) and c) (this is the most important one), it's not Exeter City v Hartlepool
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    I think the viewing is good at Sunseeker if you can be bothered to walk a bit. I often get there 30 mins before first car and just wander along behind the tree line, and in no time at all you get a really good viewing spot.

The cost is no issue to me as my travelling costs are quite low, but even so, its hardly bank-breaking is it? How much is the Wydean just to compare, as my only point of comparison is Rally GB which is pretty extortionate.