Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts

Help! I need advice abiut US dollars

Well guys I have a cousin in Greece who used to be so nice to send me every year with the traditional Christmas greetings card a banknote of 5, 10, 20 or 50 dollars. There are about 300 dollars in all and I didn't spend them, just kept them for black days.
    These days a friend is going abroad and bought some dollars. I was surprised to see that the usual " greens" ( as we used to call them when it was illegal to own foreign currency ) have a new design and have different colours.

My question is if the old money I got ( series before 1999 ) are still in use. Otherwise I must exchange them to a bank but it means I may lose a part of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Well guys I have a cousin in Greece who used to be so nice to send me every year with the traditional Christmas greetings card a banknote of 5, 10, 20 or 50 dollars. There are about 300 dollars in all and I didn't spend them, just kept them for black days.
    These days a friend is going abroad and bought some dollars. I was surprised to see that the usual " greens" ( as we used to call them when it was illegal to own foreign currency ) have a new design and have different colours.

My question is if the old money I got ( series before 1999 ) are still in use. Otherwise I must exchange them to a bank but it means I may lose a part of them.
    Old money is still very spendable here in the US...

Enjoy spending it
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Thanks, that's what I've also heard but I also heard that out exchange houses refuse them.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Thanks, that's what I've also heard but I also heard that out exchange houses refuse them.
    All US currency is good no matter what the age. If an exchange house doesn't accept the then go to another one or try a bank.

So they look different but they're all good. I guess I'd have trouble to handle them if I live there. Or maybe you pay mainly by card....

I remember that some years ago I've read that the banknote of 20 changed the design and I was desperate to change them. I finally made it but paid 10%. Now they've changed again....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    In the UK when a note changes the old ones are spendable for a while but then cease to be legal tender. Just like the twenty recently. You can get them changed at banks however.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    In the UK when a note changes the old ones are spendable for a while but then cease to be legal tender. Just like the twenty recently. You can get them changed at banks however.
    I've got images in my head from Peep Show now. Thanks.

Ewww, Elgar.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Heck...if she had Canadian dollars...she really would be asking questions. They have changed a few of our bills a few times in the last 2 decades adding new anti counterfeiting countermeasures...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    And what were our $1 and $2 dollar bills are now coins.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    All US currency is good no matter what the age. If an exchange house doesn't accept the then go to another one or try a bank.
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... &TYPE=TEXT
    United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes
    and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are
    legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign
    gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.

Not only is all US Currency legal under the Coinage Act of 1965 but (and I forget where it is in the Act) that Demonitization is also illegal under the Act.
    Even in my short time in the US, I've seen Lincoln Wheat cents which stopped production in 1958.

I bet that if you tried to use a 3c coin or even a gold $20 coin, people would look at you funny. As it was I had difficulty getting a shop to accept a $2 bill when I wanted to pay for a candy bar once.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!