Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ant West

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    That's exactly what Kawasaki needs, they haven't got the bike to win on a dry track..
    I think they do, just not riders good enough to do it. Put a top, fast rider on the ZX-RR and it would be very competitive I reckon.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    I think they do, just not riders good enough to do it. Put a top, fast rider on the ZX-RR and it would be very competitive I reckon.
    But do you see them beating a Casey Stoner or Valentino Rossi, on a dry track?
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    But do you see them beating a Casey Stoner or Valentino Rossi, on a dry track?
    It's hard to say because the current guys are so far from being able to do it but the bike is clearly very fast in a straight line and appears to handle very well. Perhaps with a Melandri or Hopkins it is possible? It would certainly finish better than it currently does.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wonder how Max Biaggi would be doing on the Kawasaki if he had got the ride, rather than Jacque?
    As for Ant West, he has always been a great rain rider, but as for implying that winning the WSS world title will springboard his career, are you kidding? Apart from Chris Vermeulen, how has any previous winner done? Andrew Pitt? Karl Muggeridge? Fabian Foret, Pere Riba, even Seb Charpentier, not many have set the world on fire, have they? Other winners are Paulo Casoli, Fabrizio Pirovano, Stephene Chambon and Jorge Teuchert.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No doubt Max would be faster than Jacque on the Kwak but his days as a MotoGP title contender are over in my opinion.

I'm not kidding about a WSS title springboarding Wests career. If a title led to a top superbike ride like Vermeulen and Muggeridge got I can see him being very competitive. A lot of the blokes you mentioned also made poor choices on follow-up rides after their title. Pitt went to the uncompetitive Kwak MotoGP project, Riba tried 500GP with D'Antin, Foret rode an uncompetitive Kwak Supersport, etc. The other thing West has over them is age. They won their titles (I don't think Riba actually won a title did he?) at around 30 years of age, West is currently only 25. And I rate him more highly than most of those blokes. I guess time will tell if I'm right or not.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    I'm not kidding about a WSS title springboarding Wests career.
    I agree with you Ninj, I think Ant has wasted the early part of his career with 250's. Sure had he found and been successful with the 'right' team/manufacturer this conversation would not be taking place.

Ant has been holding out for the 'right' team for years now. Cut your losses son and get outta there!

Even a competitive season in Supersport (assuming Foggy does not pick him up at MV) would set him on an upward path (Aprilia 2009).

i think a wss title would definately get wests career moving.surely teams are already looking.i would like to see ant ride the yamaha for the rest of the year even if it means leaving 250gp(that ride is going nowhere and really is harming his career and profile due to the frustation he openly vents).he is already in a better points position than the other riders in the team and going on what he has shown will keep moving up .a good year on that bike maybe straight to a top superbike next year and then who knows.i would like to see him in motogp and he already has that 250 experience they want but i believe that door has closed(on anything competetive).what he should do is move to the wsbk paddock and take the best team/bike package that is avaliable to him wether that be wss or wsbk and with his talent,determination and belief in himself he will be a star i dont think anyone could argue against that.
    (a foggy mv or aprilia is not a good option)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kymando
    (a foggy mv or aprilia is not a good option)
    Who knows Rolfo and Lanzi may well be out of a ride next year, perhaps Ant might have an option or two?

Ant and Troy B at Ducati with one year left on Troy's contract, now that sounds tasty.

I think the Aprilia option would be strong, but a year too late for Ant?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think you all (minus kiwigav) make legitimate and positive points. For 2008 Ant will have a few WSS/WSBK options IMO, good performances in either of these classes could be just what he needs to show the big manufacturers he's made of the right stuff to compete in MotoGP. Even if it takes until hes 27 - 28. I HIGHLY doubt that Ant will go back into an association with Aprilia after he leaves them in 2008, they have been nothing but disrespectful and damaging to his career by never acknowledging and nurturing his true potential (not going to go into detail.)

I also doubt Ant will really want to develop a bike again, so MV may not be his wisest choice. I think he just needs to get on an established bike, with an established team and run at the front from there. Weather thats with Ten Kate SS, Yamaha Germany SS or even Ten Kate WSBK. (Toseland to GP, Rolfo is kinda average.) Ant will have to knuckle down next year and make some career changing decisions, i hope he makes the right one. I also think that Ant will continue to ride for Yamaha WSS this year (as so far i cant see to many clashes with GP's, he'll be a busy boy) and Spyke have made up a pair of factory yamaha leathers for him.

Goooo Ant!
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To be perfectly honest, I would rather Ant carry out his obligation and finish with his 250 team (unless it's their decision to cut him loose). Let Kev Curtain (hopefully he can get healthy) finish his international career with Yamaha like he deserves, no-one is going to beat Kenan to the title anyway. Kawasaki WSS would be another good destination for Ant in 08.
    Get off my lawn