Page 41 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Ant West

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    24 Mar 2008
    EUROPE CALLING

MotoGP is heading to Jerez this weekend for the first European round of this year's world championship. After the historic opening race at Qatar, held at night earlier this month, the premier class teams return to Spain for what is always one of the most popular events of the calendar.
    The Kawasaki Racing Team, fielding riders John Hopkins and Anthony West, is looking forward to getting stuck in to another round and, having recently visited the circuit for the official IRTA test in February, where it ran the latest incarnation of the remarkable Ninja ZX-RR, hopes are high for some good results.
    Hopkins, while still not completely recovered from a muscular injury sustained in a crash in Australia in January, nonetheless feels more than ready for another race, having had some time since Qatar to concentrate on his rehabilitation.
    West remains disheartened by a disappointing opening round but will not allow that to affect him as the practice sessions begin at the end of this week. The Queenslander is more determined than ever to make his mark.
    The Jerez circuit first hosted MotoGP in 1987, a year after its construction, and the championship has made an annual pilgrimage to the track (it is always the venue for the first European round of the year) since 1989.
    Situated in south west Spain, not far from the coastal city of Cadiz and on the outskirts of Jerez de la Frontera, it is a popular venue for both motorcycle and Formula 1 testing during the winter months.
    It has a complex layout, offering riders a real challenge. It boasts 13 turns over its 4.42km distance, so teams will be looking to set the bikes up for some hard braking with shorter, sharper bursts of power out of the corners. Given the circuit's curvaceous nature, the machines spend much of their time at an angle, so the Kawasaki squad, along with their tyre partners Bridgestone, will aim for good stability and drive.
    As the 18 riders who make up the 2008 grid take their places for Sunday's 27 lap race, there will no doubt be a very substantial crowd there to watch them. Last year, Jerez saw 132,168 spectators visit the circuit on race day with a staggering 244,461 fans attending during the whole of the weekend.
    Practice sessions begin on Friday and continue, along with qualifying, on Saturday, with the race itself starting on Sunday afternoon at 2pm local time.
    John Hopkins: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #21
    'The abductor muscle I tore at Phillip Island in January still isn't completely fixed but everything's going okay and I've been training hard. I've been in Miami, the sun's been out and I've been taking care of myself before Jerez. We've had some more MRI scans done, which show the injury is still definitely there, unfortunately, but it's not been keeping me from working on my fitness. Despite the muscle problem, I really feel 100% ready for the race and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm definitely going to improve on the position I got at Qatar. We'll work on tyre choice and a good set up and it'll be great to head back to Europe to race.'

Anthony West: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #13
    'I really wasn't happy with my performance at Qatar. Riding around at the back isn't why I'm here and I need to get it together. My confidence was shot when I crashed a couple of times and, after that, I never really found my pace. My main aim is essentially to raise my game. I need to have more faith in the bike and the set up, especially when it comes to turning it in to the corners. This is a weak spot for me, of sorts. Still, I'm really looking forward to the Jerez race. I really want to prove myself and I'm hoping this is where I can start doing that.'

Ant West certainly generates a lot of interest and the support he gets from forum members is great, but if it is because of any hopes that he will ever be better than just an averagely good rider, sorry but I just can't see it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's a tricky one this year so far - several things come into it.

The green machine does look to be the weakest bike so far, although three of the four Italian machines have struggled for now with new riders aboard too. Qatar often isn't a full yardstick by which to measure the whole season, so on more 'regular' tracks things may be different. Westy has said he's struggling for confidence, and when you're not quite on top form confidence-wise [or your machine's not 100% on the pace] you'll rapidly find that there's a thin line between 'respectable' and 'last'. Someone has to be last of course, and even though it's a slightly small grid this year there's a lot of talent in there.

If I'm being honest...I think last season Honda's early-season problems flattered Suzuki and Kawasaki a bit and gave them chances to be at the front that in many seasons they wouldn't get as much of. Likewise, Tech 3 are competitive this year and last year they weren't over race distance. Everything's always relative to the other teams.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chac47
    Ant West certainly generates a lot of interest and the support he gets from forum members is great, but if it is because of any hopes that he will ever be better than just an averagely good rider, sorry but I just can't see it.
    Put him on a better than 'average' ride!!! er maybe the factory Honda or Yamaha and you will...Hes in the same boat as Webber is in F1. Sux not being a marketable commodity for the sponsers eh! mabe they both should take out Spanish or UK citizenship?

Iam guessing some around here did not see some of Ants performances in the 250 GP class or SS or potential skills when the rain falls. Sometimes the equipment "IS" actually to blame believe it or not!
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX...
    Put him on a better than 'average' ride!!! er maybe the factory Honda or Yamaha and you will...Hes in the same boat as Webber is in F1. Sux not being a marketable commodity for the sponsers eh! mabe they both should take out Spanish or UK citizenship?
    Maybe teams would consider it if West put in better than average performances

Relatively speaking, Webber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> West.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX...

Iam guessing some around here did not see some of Ants performances in the 250 GP class or SS or potential skills when the rain falls. Sometimes the equipment "IS" actually to blame believe it or not!
    I did and he was great.

Sometimes Ant says what he thinks out loud and that doesn't go down too well with some owners. He's not the sort of fellow to "brown nose" either so..

He tells it like it is..Which I admire him for...

I'm a fan!! Go Westy!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    26 Mar 2008
    WINTER WARRIOR WEST

Living in Austria during the winter has it's advantages if you happen to be a keen skier or snowboarder, but it's not such a great place to live if, like Kawasaki's Ant West, you need to get out running as part of your fitness regime.
    The 26-year-old Australian bases himself out of Fuschl, Austria during the European MotoGP season, and that's where he returned to after the opening race of the season in Qatar.
    With his pre-season training hit hard by the surgery on his previously injured wrist, Westy was determined to use the gap between the Qatar and Jerez races to get his fitness back up to the level required to wrestle Kawasaki's Ninja ZX-RR round the 20 odd laps of a MotoGP race.
    Unfortunately for the Australian, his arrival back in Austria coincided with some unseasonably cold weather that would have deterred many from sticking to their training schedule, but not Ant. Always one for the simple solution the Kawasaki pilot, together with training partner Ben Skepper, simply put on every item of clothing he owns and headed out into the wind and snow to put in the miles.
    'It was very tempting to use the weather as an excuse and just stay home with the heating cranked right up,' declared West. 'But I need to get back to full fitness, so me and Ben just put on every piece of clothing we have and went for it. I know I ride a Ninja ZX-RR, but I don't remember there being anything in my contract that said I had to dress as a Ninja between races, but that's what the two of us looked like by the time we actually made it outside and started running!'
    Having survived his training programme without going down with hypothermia, West was pleased to discover sunny weather and warm temperatures when he arrived in Jerez for the second race of the 2008 season.
    'Hopefully all the cold weather training will pay dividends this weekend in Jerez, where it's at least a bit warmer than Northern Europe. I wasn't happy with my performance in Qatar but, hopefully, I'll be able to put that well and truly behind me with a better result here in Jerez come race day,' concluded West.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    26 Mar 2008
    RIDER DIARY: ANTHONY WEST

Hmmm... Well, the season's finally started but I can't say I'm exactly happy with what went on in Qatar. Riding around at the back isn't why I'm here.
    From start to finish, it was a bit of a nightmare for me. We were at Losail for testing a week before the race and, although we were making progress with the bike, I just couldn't seem to get it together.
    Then, when the race weekend itself came around, I was still real uneasy about things. Grip was the main problem. The whole night race thing was awesome: something really different and great for the sport in terms of publicity; but when it came to traction, it was a bit of an issue.
    The place got so cold at night that the track temperature dropped to around 14˚C and the tyres we were using didn't cope too well with that. John had similar problems. Every time we opened the throttle, the back would step out and threaten to throw us off, so it wasn't exactly fun. I came off a couple of times and that shot my confidence even more so, by the time the race started, I wasn't feeling good, even though Bridgestone had been working like hell and had really helped us with the tyre problem.
    We've been sorting out so much on the ZX-RR and it's such an amazing bike but I'm just not managing to get the best out of it at the moment; or it out of me. I know I can do a hell of a lot better than that; it's just going to take more work.
    Still, on the positive side, I learned a lot and now I'm in between races I'm spending the time figuring out what issues I have to iron out.
    The next race, at Jerez, will hopefully not be so hard. For a start, it should be warmer and maybe then I'll have some more confidence in the rubber.
    Sometimes I really let this stuff get to me but having my mate, Ben, around helps to keep me fairly upbeat. When we're not on the road with the team, he's hanging out with me at my apartment in Austria which only serves to make it seem even smaller; if that's possible. He's sleeping on the floor at the moment, which isn't ideal.
    Still, I guess there's more room than there used to be. Ninja, my iguana, isn't around anymore. That's what comes of leaving a girl in charge of him. He got so fat. God knows what she was feeding him. I buried him in the forest. I couldn't just flush him down the toilet, after all! Anyway, he wouldn't fit.
    Oh yeah, and Sniffles, my snake… He went missing for ages. Climbed out of his cage and disappeared for about three months. Then suddenly he just turned up again the other day and he was fine. I gave him a couple of mice, which he gulped down straight away, and it was like nothing had happened. It was good to see him again. I put him back in his cage and reinforced the door to stop him escaping. Still, it would be quite funny if he did, what with Ben on the floor and stuff.
    Anyway, yeah: it's cramped.
    After the race at Qatar I went straight to Jerez for a tyre launch. There were millions of journos over there, all trying out the new Bridgestones. All I had to do was ride around on a ZX-10R, sliding around and stuff; it was a laugh. Best of all though, by the time I got back here, Ben had done a whole load of cleaning.
    Awesome! He's a great PA, this guy.
    We had a good time in Qatar between the IRTA test and the race. My Kawasaki boss had organised for us to go to watch some powerboat racing one day. I got to go out in the pace boat and to wave the flag to start the race, which was a great experience. Those things go so fast on water, you wouldn't believe it. I want to get one now, ha ha!
    Then we had a day out in the desert, riding quads, motocross bikes and stuff. That really was fantastic. There were dunes as far as the eye could see. I spent a lot of time on a Kawasaki KX450F and riding it up and down on the sand was just the best.
    There were a couple of camels knocking about but I didn't fancy having a go on one of those. They're really ugly and make a load of weird noises. And anyway, I like bikes; they don't think for you. I don't want to ride anything with its own brain!
    Anyway, so we're nearly on to Jerez. I don't know if I have a plan as such. Maybe I should close my eyes when a corner's coming, not brake and just go for it! But I'm really glad the season's started. I just need to raise my game and give it my best shot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sniffles................The snake!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Maybe teams would consider it if West put in better than average performances

Relatively speaking, Webber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> West.
    OK but if you dont want to use any logic then please explain how Ant could do that riding a turd? So give Westy a proven race winner then. Put Webber in a silver car and watch him hose Hamilton, he proved that point in Malaysia. Give Ant the same chance on a factory Honda or Yamaha
    #1 #7 #13