Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

German Grand Prix

I remember the disdain that this circuit attracted when it replaced the Nordschleife back in 1977. It was not only one of those "stadiums" but also the place that claimed the life of the greatest driver ever, the generous and sublime Scottish driver Jim Clark. It was also where Patrick Depailler was killed in 1980.

But we got used to it and eventually looked forward to those magnificent HIGH SPEED processions with the f1 cars at full bore into the Ostkurve.

Today we have a different track with a Parabolica and while the Hockenheimring as we knew it with the Ostkurve is no more, the current track like Silverstone has retained its essential identification.

I think it will be an RB06 race to lose and surely the heightened tensions in the camp of Red Bull will be the focus of this weekend. Webber has to do it all again and Vettel has to show that he can do it without Daddy Warbucks protecting him.

Mclaren will be their usual quick selves and I am hoping that Jense will find that quircky set-up he requires and outqualifies Lewis.

Alonso has not yet shown us what the Ferrari can do. There have been problems since the new package was introduced at Valencia and could be the sirprise of the weekend along with Brittney.

Mercedes home track will want to make at least its best showing here and Rosberg at this stage is the only one that can do it.

Wouldnt it be great to see a first Nico victory - he can do it.

The last three races were won by Hamilton, Schumacher and Alonso.

If the Ferrari works well then an Alonso victory? It is certainly time for the Scuderia to show that they have not lost their edge.

Ithiink the surprise of the qeekend will be an Alonso or Rosberg victoru AND perhaps a Schumi podium - there would not be a dry eye in the house
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I never understood what the appeal in Hockenheim without the forest is. The stadium was always the Yin to the forest's Yang.

Have the crowds at Tilkenheim been comparable to the old Hockenheim, for those that watched before it was cut up?

Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I never understood what the appeal in Hockenheim without the forest is. The stadium was always the Yin to the forest's Yang.

Have the crowds at Tilkenheim been comparable to the old Hockenheim, for those that watched before it was cut up?
    The corwds were definitely down in 2008 when Lewis won but I think we could see a rise because Schumi is back - viewership in Germany has increased a whopping 50% this season.

I agree with you but they have trued to maintain its speed characteristics with that parabolica sweep.

I like Hockeheim better than the sad new Nurburgring layout.

If you read the July edition of Motorsport magazine, Andrew Marriot went on a homage tour in memory of Jim CLark and in order to FIND the actual place where the Scot crashed you get to see what is left of the the great sweep into the Ostkurve - made me feel sad. Ak well - regress and all that!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it is hardly a buzz in Germany anymore.

for example the viewers used to be up in 10 Mio back in Schus heydays.
    RTL cracked the 10 mio for the season opener but now is back at 5 mio where they where in the past few years.

Major newspapers are writing Schu down, if at all. Just today I read an article "another record - never was a racing icon crushed so fast"

I hear they sold some 60.000 tickets and if you saw how RTL was advertising the tickets... you where basically flushed away by these silly and cheep looking comercials trying to sell you the "mega event of teh century" I started to believe that they have issues getting the house full!

I miss the old Hockers!
    Too many historic battles there in the woods... man, when I remember Rindt vs. Ickx back in 70 it sends shivers down my spine... what is left ot the track today does not deserve to carry on this name.

nonetheless I look forward to the race. racefan. can't help it.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think your wrong on the charecteristics of the new Hockenheim St. D, its no longer the flat out blast that it once was and is now just another Tilkedrome, though it can produce better racing than most of his other tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by electron
    it is hardly a buzz in Germany anymore.

for example the viewers used to be up in 10 Mio back in Schus heydays.
    RTL cracked the 10 mio for the season opener but now is back at 5 mio where they where in the past few years.

Major newspapers are writing Schu down, if at all. Just today I read an article "another record - never was a racing icon crushed so fast"

I hear they sold some 60.000 tickets and if you saw how RTL was advertising the tickets... you where basically flushed away by these silly and cheep looking comercials trying to sell you the "mega event of teh century" I started to believe that they have issues getting the house full!

I miss the old Hockers!
    Too many historic battles there in the woods... man, when I remember Rindt vs. Ickx back in 70 it sends shivers down my spine... what is left ot the track today does not deserve to carry on this name.

nonetheless I look forward to the race. racefan. can't help it.
    I would personally punch the mouth of ANY journalist that wrote such a comment about Schumi.

Where did you get that information on tv viewing? The RISE in viewership is avaliable in F1 Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    I think your wrong on the charecteristics of the new Hockenheim St. D, its no longer the flat out blast that it once was and is now just another Tilkedrome, though it can produce better racing than most of his other tracks.
    I agree its not as exciting - but I also do like that stadium section

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    I would personally punch the mouth of ANY journalist that wrote such a comment about Schumi.

Well, i am no journalist but you "sir" can feel invited to kiss my butt for such a stupid childish comment

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    Where did you get that information on tv viewing? The RISE in viewership is avaliable in F1 Racing.
    as for the original article, which hits the feeling that I have (living in this country, watching this TV and reading these newspapers I may add)
    http://www.welt.de/sport/formel1/art...ntzaubert.html

so again, you can feel free to think what you may... come to Hockenheim to see for youself.
    bubble... meet burst.

one more thing, a quote from Willi Weber: "it may be easier to find a 50 year old virgin than sponsors for F1 these days"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the article actually is no Schu bashing, just to calrify that (which makes the premature comment even more childish to me) but an article about the effect Schus return had on German audience/publicity figures related to F1.
    A short Buzz which has pretty much cooled down to not much anymore.

it is not about bashing because the Valencia race (Vettel wins) is specifically marked a s low in viewership (only about half the numbers of the season opener).

The German GP (to get back to topic) seems to have expected more from teh "Schu Buzz" which isn't around as expected and ad sales and audience suffer.
    All there is to it.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    The new Hok is a bit dull but the racing has often been interesting and exciting. I can't see it being a Red Bull walk over as its a bit more of a point and squirt circuit not really giving the RBR anywhere to stretch its legs.

For the sake of the championship i 'd like a McLaren win as I expect the Bulls to be all but unbeatable on the aero tracks to come.

It would also be nice to see another strong performance from Williams who (against recent history) seem to be developing their car the most quickly of the chasing pack, and perhaps another Podium for Nico.
    All other opinions are wrong....