Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will the new car mean new teams?

I was going to add this to another thread, but I didn't want to hi-jack or bury the notion that 2012 would be the logical time for us to see new teams join the sport since the playing field will be closer to level than it has been in a long, long time.

The obvious new teams are Sam Schmidt Motorsports, AFS, and Bryan Herta Autosport. I can't see any of them moving up before 2012 because it doesn't make sense to invest in the current Dallara with a new formula coming. Herta has been more up front about his desire to build an ICS team, he's starting to build a sponsor base (William Rast), I expect both Sebastien Saavedra him in 2011 with another Indy effort, and should be ICS ready in 2012. SSM has probably relied too much on pay drivers to have an base to move up. AFS is probably only a serious sponsor away from being a satilite team for Andretti Autosport.

The most intriguing prospect for me though is Forsythe Racing. There has been increasing speculation about Gerry for the better part of a year now, and now that the announcement is made I have to believe we'll quietly see a move from Forysthe if he's serious about returning, and there a number of signs that he's been laying in wait for everything to line up.

He not gone from the sport as a lot of people think. Indeck has been sponsoring Conor Daly since 2007, and the two have a solid relationship. While Forsythe Championship Racing has been dissolved, Forsythe Racing Performance has been steadily working with ICS teams since 2008. They have a full shop with the massively expensive seven-post shaker rig, still have Neil Michelwright, Tom Brown and others on the payroll and have been working with a number of Star Mazda, FIL and IRL teams for the past three years, so they could gear up for racing in short order.

The theory is that if they put Conor in Indy Lights next year with either their team or someone else they could put massive amounts of R&D into developing their 2012 car, because they're all going to be made available to all of the teams in 2011, and without having the time requirements of running full time in 2011 could come out of the box in 2012 with two drivers that have more time in their seats than any other driver and crews that have more experience with the chassis under more conditions that any other crew. Also, since they wouldn't be current team they wouldn't be subject to testing caps and could run as many laps as they wanted wherever they want and they have books full of notes on all the ICS tracks from working with SFR and Conquest.

Also consider this, Gerry is a part owner in Cosworth, so he has the inside track on whatever engine manufacture is considering badging their engines, so he could insure that FCR and KVRT are the two primary teams for Lotus, or whoever comes into the sport, and that means free testing miles and other corporate benefits.

He had his guys put together a DP-01 this year for a "Demo" of some kind. Rumor has it that Conor logged some test miles in secret at a track somewhere in the midwest. If I were pursuing a big sponsor to enter the sport in 2012 I'd certainly fly them into a remote location, have a car painted up in their livery, have my driver there and turn some fast laps for them at a secret test session.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    To be economically competitive a new team would have to relocate to Indy. That can be a deal breaker for some teams.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gerry Forsythe can rot in hell after the BS he pulled on Paul Tracy. His actions in refusing to free up Paul all the while knowing he was not going to run a car in the IRL are unforgivable. Actually I hope he does run a car, just so I can have the opportunity to see him at MidOhio and unload a tirade in his direction.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    To be economically competitive a new team would have to relocate to Indy. That can be a deal breaker for some teams.
    I don't really think that's the case, the the $125,000 discount is only to first 28 chassis ordered, and that means that not even all of the existing Indiana based teams will benefit.

Think about, of the teams based in Indy that would place orders now, Andretti, Ganassi and KVRT, de Ferran Dragon, Pather, DR&R would account for at least 26 cars between those six teams, if not more, that discount won't go far, and I'd be that preference would be given to teams already running the series before new teams, so I don't think the discount will ever reach new teams. Yeah Indiana based teams would save on shipping, but I don't think the savings would justify the cost of relocating.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    I don't really think that's the case, the the $125,000 discount is only to first 28 chassis ordered, and that means that not even all of the existing Indiana based teams will benefit.

Think about, of the teams based in Indy that would place orders now, Andretti, Ganassi and KVRT, de Ferran Dragon, Pather, DR&R would account for at least 26 cars between those six teams, if not more, that discount won't go far, and I'd be that preference would be given to teams already running the series before new teams, so I don't think the discount will ever reach new teams. Yeah Indiana based teams would save on shipping, but I don't think the savings would justify the cost of relocating.
    Relocating would help attract team members from current teams. No need for a engineer from Andretti to pack up and move to L.A. or Charlotte or wherever the team is located. Would open up the number of people willing to take the job at a new team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Gerry Forsythe can rot in hell after the BS he pulled on Paul Tracy. His actions in refusing to free up Paul all the while knowing he was not going to run a car in the IRL are unforgivable.
    Gary
    I'd forgotten about that but Forsythe is an honorary Canadian to a lot of us race fans in the Great White North. He brought a lot of happiness to us and I wish he was back in the series.

I'd also like see Walker back in the series as well . Maybe he can glue on some of those left over Reynard parts on the new car.

Barry Green would also be a nice addition. He certainly knows how to run a successful team.
    Who, What, When, Where, Why -- http://champcarstats.com/

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBriscoe#6
    Relocating would help attract team members from current teams. No need for a engineer from Andretti to pack up and move to L.A. or Charlotte or wherever the team is located. Would open up the number of people willing to take the job at a new team.
    But how many very capable potential team members would take a pass because they don't want to move to Indy?

How many Indy based mechanics would jump at a chance to get out of Indy?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    There are still a lot of good experienced past CCWS people in Indy without jobs, in jobs that are no longer racing related or are in a different series. That alone could help a new team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Locating in Indy is a mixed blessing. Yes there is a bigger talent pool to choose from but that comes with less loyalty and a higher labor cost. During good times if an experienced engineer in Indy quits on Monday they'll be working somewhere else by Friday. Indy based teams are more prone to arms race style prices for trained crew.

If you're based in Columbus, Chicago or California you have a better chance of keeping your crew together for a longer period of time at a lower cost. Also, an individual team in Indy isn't likely to be able to work local tax breaks, but if you're in a place like Columbus you may be swing tax breaks you won't get in Indy.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think having Indy be the foci for the teams is a good one in the end. NASCAR didn't always have the teams based in and around Charlotte, it is just the way the business evolved, and when you saw the Petty's move to the Charlotte area, you knew that was the end of the era where teams were successful based outside of that area.

For Indy car, having all the teams in close to the vest like this will drive up their skilled labor costs a bit, but c'est la vie, that is is counterbalanced by the ability to get guys easier that are already in the area. Not to mention suppliers catering to all the shops are already there. A Critical mass of race car engineering concerns in the area will help the sport keep costs lower too.

On this, I don't really see a down side for the IRL or the teams at all.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".