Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Pre-qualifying was ridiculous. A team spends millions preparing a car, testing, and traveling to races--and then they don't get to race. A sponsor's nightmare.

The 107% rule should take care of the no-hopers, but to be reasonably quick and denied to race?

I've always loved F1 the way it is . . . so I miss everything that has passed (except pre-qualifying).

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Pre-qualifying was ridiculous. A team spends millions preparing a car, testing, and traveling to races--and then they don't get to race. A sponsor's nightmare.
    Did they spend millions though? Did they even test?

Pre-Qualification was a necessity to sort the chaff from the wheat....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    In-season testing, & open testing for 3 cars on Friday.
    amen Brother !!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I miss the early 90's. There was engine variety in manufacturers and layouts (V8, V10, V12, W12, Flat-12, the lot) and the 30+ cars that used to battle so they could even make it to the race, let alone win it; and with that, the environment then which was a lot more relaxed than nowadays. I'm glad I got a live glimpse of it all as a baby

But I think from now on I will miss the Renault works team as well, always my favourite team.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze

The 107% rule should take care of the no-hopers, but to be reasonably quick and denied to race?

I've always loved F1 the way it is . . . so I miss everything that has passed (except pre-qualifying).
    But it's better, when it's over-subscribed, to let competition on the track weed out those who aren't good enough, than the alternative.

"The alternative" being, of course, the un-transparent FIA selection process that decides who's allowed in and not. Pre-qualifying sorted out the chancers (e.g. Life) yet allowed those worthy (e.g. Jordan) the chance to compete their way into the regular order.

If a Life-like outfit want to spunk large money on failing, that's their problem. What is OUR problem is a modern-day Jordan being denied entry behind a Life/US F1 type outfit.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V12
    But it's better, when it's over-subscribed, to let competition on the track weed out those who aren't good enough, than the alternative.

"The alternative" being, of course, the un-transparent FIA selection process that decides who's allowed in and not. Pre-qualifying sorted out the chancers (e.g. Life) yet allowed those worthy (e.g. Jordan) the chance to compete their way into the regular order.

If a Life-like outfit want to spunk large money on failing, that's their problem. What is OUR problem is a modern-day Jordan being denied entry behind a Life/US F1 type outfit.
    Amen to that! If there were no specificific entry requirements (other than a car that passed the crash tests and conformed to the rulebook) but pre-qualifying was a pre-requisite - if you were serious - you'd make sure you built a car, and had the staff/drivers to succeed.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 1,090 Times in 607 Posts
    Even though I never got to see him race live, whether at the track or on TV, I miss Ayrton Senna.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Mechanical failures - remember those?

Also, when a driver spun off, it was onto grass or gravel so he was usually out. Back then, mistakes were actually punished!!!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I miss Tyrrell. Every year, launch season was a blast because you never knew what you'd get. From six wheels, to raised noses, to the x-wing. Some of it was as ugly as a mother-in-law with an avocado facial, but at least they were willing to innovate.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ykiki
    I miss Tyrrell. Every year, launch season was a blast because you never knew what you'd get. From six wheels, to raised noses, to the x-wing. Some of it was as ugly as a mother-in-law with an avocado facial, but at least they were willing to innovate.
    Me too. Just a great little team.
    All other opinions are wrong....