Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    I can't find prices for land line phones. Maybe they don't sell them anymore? I don't have a land line neither at work nor at home, just cell phones.
    Quite honestly I would quite happily get rid of my land line and the £10 per month charge that goes with it (i.e. £120 per year), as I hardly ever use it and it's rare that we get a call on it. Mobiles do the job.

However digital TV providers such as Virgin and Sky create their packages in such a way that you basically have to have a land line phone! With cable, you have to have one, and that's pretty much that. With Sky if you don't have a phone they basically charge more for their other services to make it pretty much the same price!

PS. I just did a speed test on my phone and got a result of 1.62Mbps, which isn't bad for a 3G network I think, but it was noticeable during that the transfer rate dropped off quickly the longer the test ran, unlike through wifi where I got a speed of 10Mbps which suggests the wifi here is old as I get 60mbps when connected through a cable.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Of course it isn't.

How is an internet connection a right?
    Don't forget that some people use the internet for more than just a bit of fun. Or nekkid women

As I see things, it's possible to save a vast amount of money by managing your finances online, and the convenience of internet banking and shopping should not be underestimated - especially if you're housebound or have impairments which hinder you from wandering down the bank or the shops at will.

Not everybody would want to avail themselves of those options - my dad for example rejects the entire notion of internet shopping and as a result wastes a fortune on certain items - but he should have the right to internet access if he so wishes.

For may of us it's not a concern, but imagine you're a househound pensioner in the middle of nowhere who finds it impossible to get to the bank. It's only right and proper that they have the means to access their account online.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Our connection is only 6.7 Mbps
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman

For may of us it's not a concern, but imagine you're a househound pensioner in the middle of nowhere who finds it impossible to get to the bank. It's only right and proper that they have the means to access their account online.
    So is a cell phone a right as well? Cable TV? How about a chauffeured Limo?

BTW You can still bank by mail is you are a housebound pensioner in the middle of nowhere.

Then again if you are a housebound pensioner why are you living in the middle of nowhere?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    So is a cell phone a right as well? Cable TV? How about a chauffeured Limo?

BTW You can still bank by mail is you are a housebound pensioner in the middle of nowhere.

Then again if you are a housebound pensioner why are you living in the middle of nowhere?
    How about the freedom of speech and the freedom to choose where you live? If Castro restricts the use of internet in Cuba and emigration from Cuba, it's OK and not violating their rights?
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    . . . this answer is worth waiting for . . . . .
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Sounds fairly reasonable then. But I'm not sure that enshrining something like this as a "Human Right" is a good thing. It should be just like water and swage connections, needs to be done, but not a "Human Right".
    http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a25
    Article 25 - Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    1. Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

It might be covered in here, but then again as an American you don't actually have this right at law, and by the sounds of things probably don't want it either.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a25
    Article 25 - Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    1. Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

It might be covered in here, but then again as an American you don't actually have this right at law, and by the sounds of things probably don't want it either.
    Painting.... Broad..brush ......U.S. Citizens......All.......
    or was that directed only at vop
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here more and more public and other services can be done using internet, like for instance extend book loans from the library, so it's very much like Dave said earlier.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    Here more and more public and other services can be done using internet, like for instance extend book loans from the library, so it's very much like Dave said earlier.
    Or booking a dentist.
    I could really use a fish right now