Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I noted this in the IndyCar nation email I received announcing next year's race at New Hampshire: ""The Indy Racing League's IZOD IndyCar Series marks its 200th race Sept. 4 at Kentucky Speedway. In 2011, it returns to one of its original venues."

Apparently nobody told the PR team that the ICS is only the latest iteration of AOWR and they should stop ignoring its rich history, whether it was sanctioned by AAA, USAC, CART, CCWS, etc. Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Randy is going to be wasting time herding cats....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    The difference level of noise is very debatable. Plus, a "Redskins Game" only happened on one day, and the game only lasts a few hours. This race weekend went on for three days, and with several racing series (ALMS, The SCCA Speed Channel Sponsored Series, Trans Am, and Formula Mazda I believe) to be run, the engine noise (some of it quite loud) went on nearly incessantly the whole time. The Trans-Am and Panoz LMP were particularly loud.

Thanks, glad you admit it was in a residential area. And there was one block of houses right across the street from the track, with block after block of houses right behind that.

Maybe they didn't want to go to a hotel, maybe they just wanted to stay in their homes.

Face it, you can put all of the "racing fan spin" all you want to on this, but holding a three day race event in a residential area is a DUMB idea. Hey, I was there on the Friday and Sunday and loved it, but even before the event happened I knew that it was sheer idiocy holding a race there.
    [img] http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...tadium%2C%20DC[\img]

Still there . That paving job they did made for one hell of a parking lot for soccer matches.

The Panoz and the Corvettes were extremely loud. OTOH, you could barely hear the Audi R8's coming around the track. y sunday they did have some temporary walls trying to lessen the noise, but the houses closest to the track were in a particularly bad location in that corner of the track.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champcarray
    I noted this in the IndyCar nation email I received announcing next year's race at New Hampshire: ""The Indy Racing League's IZOD IndyCar Series marks its 200th race Sept. 4 at Kentucky Speedway. In 2011, it returns to one of its original venues."

Apparently nobody told the PR team that the ICS is only the latest iteration of AOWR and they should stop ignoring its rich history, whether it was sanctioned by AAA, USAC, CART, CCWS, etc. Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Randy is going to be wasting time herding cats....
    I just think the number 200 sounds more significant than 6,431.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Still there . That paving job they did made for one hell of a parking lot for soccer matches.
    I went to a Cirque du Soleil performance there about 5 years ago where the tent was in that parking lot. I remember driving on the asphalt they had laid for the track. Smoothest thing I'd ever driven on.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I went to a Cirque du Soleil performance there about 5 years ago where the tent was in that parking lot. I remember driving on the asphalt they had laid for the track. Smoothest thing I'd ever driven on.
    It was. I actually rode in on the metro with the president of the company that laid the asphalt. He was telling me it was the highest polimer content asphalt they had ever handled, and had a very precise specification for the aggregate that was different than anything used on a highway.

They were doing it right, just in the wrong place. It's too bad they didn't do it around Redskins stadium instead of RFK, but then it would still be just another parking lot course.

I'm sure I can only dream of a comparable surface going down on Russell, Pratt, Conway and Light streets.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think there is a big difference in holding a street race in a commerical area where there are restaurants, bars, and hotels which benefit from the holding event, and holding it in a residential area where none of those things exist, but where there are people who will get tired of hearing the loud sound of racing engines continuosly for three days.

I'm sorry, but I went to many Redskins games at RFK and the sound of the cheers wasn't anywhere close to the sound of those racing engine. (Of course, in my humble opinion.)

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a track here in the DC area where ALMS could have an annual event.
    Funny, the sound of gunfire in DC didn't keep anyone awake?? lol....

I think the people near the track likely didn't complain NEARLY as much as the city council members with their own agenda's. DC is one of the most corrupt muncipal governments on earth....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".