Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Interesting thread...
    In my opinion today it is impossible to come into this sport as a "new" team and expect to win in a short to medium term unless you have serious backers.

FORD and CITROEN have such a huge "know how" about building and running competitive rally cars. A new team would need full manu. back up and enough finances for 3 years in the order of 20 million Euro per year to even think about beating these guys.

After that, you need to get your hands on a proper driver, which seems to be a died out species nowadays, thanks to the FORD pay and drive philosophy.

If you want newcomers to even think about coming in, they need to have a chance.

First thing FIA needs to do is standardise parts that FORD and CITROEN spend millions on in development, ie : GEARBOX, DIFFS, ENGINE, TURBO, CPU, BRAKES, SHOCKS.

Then they have to BAN all exotic materials, ie: Titanium, beryllium, Carbon fibre, Magnesium alloys, etc..
    These materials cost fortunes.
    The richest teams want to use these as much as possible so as to have such a light car that, they actually add weight in specific areas of the car to make the equilibrium right and lower the center of gravity.

I believe the 03 Focus had a rear differential guard which had a weight of 80 kilos (just the metal part to protect it from stones). They needed two guys to remove it at service.
    This is an example of how they managed to have 50/50 weight distribution and it is how they can get cars which have such unbelievable handling.

Small past teams like SUZUKI and SKODA had no chance against this.

just my 2 cents..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffi
    Interesting thread...
    In my opinion today it is impossible to come into this sport as a "new" team and expect to win in a short to medium term unless you have serious backers.

FORD and CITROEN have such a huge "know how" about building and running competitive rally cars. A new team would need full manu. back up and enough finances for 3 years in the order of 20 million Euro per year to even think about beating these guys.

After that, you need to get your hands on a proper driver, which seems to be a died out species nowadays, thanks to the FORD pay and drive philosophy.

If you want newcomers to even think about coming in, they need to have a chance.

First thing FIA needs to do is standardise parts that FORD and CITROEN spend millions on in development, ie : GEARBOX, DIFFS, ENGINE, TURBO, CPU, BRAKES, SHOCKS.

Then they have to BAN all exotic materials, ie: Titanium, beryllium, Carbon fibre, Magnesium alloys, etc..
    The richest teams want to use these as much as possible so as to have such a light car that, they actually add weight in specific areas of the car to make the equilibrium right and lower the center of gravity.

I believe the 03 Focus had a rear differential guard which had a weight of 80 kilos (just the metal part to protect it from stones). They needed two guys to remove it at service.
    This is an example of how they managed to have 50/50 weight distribution and it is how they can get cars which have such unbelievable handling.

Small past teams like SUZUKI and SKODA had no chance against this.

just my 2 cents..

If everything is standardised then why not just have one car?
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...

Quote Originally Posted by Macd
    If everything is standardised then why not just have one car?
    You have a point. The same question is always asked when we speak of this. We are only talking about internal car parts, not visible from outside. So to the naked eye they still look different.

Undoubtedly I agree with you that cars should keep their features distinct. The problem here is that we have 2 teams who are lightyears ahead in terms of technology and development, and it just costs too much for anyone to catch up to them.

FORD and CITROEN know that they have this advantage, and they don't want to lose the millions they have put in the technology for their cars.

So I guess unless something drastic happens, the sport is doomed to remain this little circus where only two teams of cars can fight for podium.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Titanium parts have not been allowed, for most of the parts it was allowed earlier, for many years. I don’t remember what year it was, but it was in NORF when Petter crashed and lost a wheel and it was amazing how thin the wishbone or lower arm (whatever the official name of that suspension part is) was compared what I’ve seen on the WRC cars today.

With the Fiesta S2000 this is made possible with under floor protections. The Fiesta’s weight is little below the allowed 1200 kg without the under floor protections and the difference between the weight distribution between the front and rear axels are only 2,7% which means about 30 kg. With the driver, co-driver and the under floor protections, they can have a perfect balance between the front and rear. Depending on the weight of the under floor protections, the balance can be transformed either to the front or rear.

Not only for Ford and Citroen but also for all. As I said in another thread, I think the engine rules will be quite simple and moving parts in the engine will be “standardized”. I agree with you that some kind of standardisation for parts like gearbox, diffs, brakes and dampers should be made like in S2000. There should be 2-3 manufacturers to choose from, or how many as ever, if they’ve sell the parts for a certain max price and these parts should be available for everyone.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/q...ew_car_delays/

Quesnel is worried that a delay could cause them to miss Rally Sweden. Malcolm Wilson says that he is used to tight schedules. Citroen likes to take their time in developing a car, but this could cause them to mess up. It would be interesting to see Ford being the only make during Rally Sweden.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    With Citroen delayed:

So how many new cars will we see in Sweden in 13 Feb 2011 ?

Will we see more than manufacturers in Sweden, and how many will we see at the final in GB in November ?

How many 2011 WRCars will we see in total in GB ?

MJW
    Hope the FIA dont fall for this trick by Citroen to get the extension for the current cars. Anyone remember that in 2010 we were due to have S2000 with a bodykit, including a Fiat, Proton and VW Sciricco joining wrc. The current two have managed to keep newcomers away quite succesfully.

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Read Martin Holmes article in GPWEEK! Have to agree with his view that Ford and Citroen have rejected proposals to reduce development costs and attract new entries. Quesnel quoted as saying Citroen dont mind spending as long as they "get value for money" and that the FIA "have lost control of their premier rally championship". Doesnt make appealing reading when a comparison with the IRC and this weekends event in Ypres is made...
    It is a great article. Just what I have been saying here for a year now...

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    There are rumours that Toyota are interested in returning with Prodrive. So what happened to BMW-Mini, VW?? Any series with them 2 manufacturers is stronger. So why have they been put off?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    There are rumours that Toyota are interested in returning with Prodrive. So what happened to BMW-Mini, VW?? Any series with them 2 manufacturers is stronger. So why have they been put off?
    Saw something on some website yesterday that VW unconvinced by the current TV package for WRC, article goes on to compare Eurosports coverage of Dakar, (VW's current motorsport activity). Only downside from VW's point of view with Dakar was the rally last 3 weeks and then nothing to keep their name up there.