Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree mostly on the standardisation of parts.
    Even if complete standardisation only lasts for a season or 2 and then is amended later to suit, at least that would encourage manufactures and teams to contemplate entering the WRC.

Personally I think the best idea is to actually only allow parts that are available 'off the shelf' as opposed to self manufactured or modified components.
    This could be fine for things like brake rotors, ECU, struts and other suspension components, but things like turbo, diffs and gearbox are something that need to be selected to work best with the car they are used with.

As far as gearboxes go ill use a Subaru as an example.
    You can buy a 6 Speed box from a STi for AU$15,000 new from Subaru (retail). Hugely over priced for what it is, but its a strong H pattern box in stock form and comes with a Helical front differential and an active centre differential.
    You can buy a kit that you bolt on which converts the box to a sequential shift. This costs about AU$2500 from memory.
    Then you can change the gears to stronger straight cut ones and switch to dog engagement. This is about the AU$10,000 mark.
    End result is a sequential 6 speed box thats tough as nails (proven to handle 350kw atw easily), will shift as quick as you can move your hands and costs less than AU$30,000 even after you add a front clutch pack differential (~AU$1500) and its far less expensive than a current WRC Subaru gearbox costs.

Apply the same ideas and practices to other manufacture components and if your smart the WRC can maintain the same basic idea of what components are used now in current WRCars but will be a little slower.

If it were my decision, that is how thigns would run.
    the public wouldnt know the difference between an 2010 car and a new car and the teams would save a packet of cash.

Im absolutely SERIOUS when I say I, just your regular backyard car enthusiast, could build a car that would be close if not out perform a current WRCar on a budget of about AU$250,000.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grugsticles
    Personally I think the best idea is to actually only allow parts that are available 'off the shelf' as opposed to self manufactured or modified components.
    That’s what was trying to say in my earlier post. It will always cheaper with some kind of mass production compared to in house design and built parts. Even if for example the gearbox isn’t built in house, it’s designed and is made for a particular make and that’s what makes the WRC parts expensive.

This could be fine for things like brake rotors, ECU, struts and other suspension components, but things like turbo, diffs and gearbox are something that need to be selected to work best with the car they are used with.
    IMO also the turbo and gearbox should be some kind of “off the shelf” parts as in S2000 as it’s defined in the Xtrac brochure.
    The gearbox specification meets all of the requirements of the FIA S2000 homologation regulations and has been approved for use in S2000 championships by the FIA.”

http://www.xtrac.com/pdfs/532%20SUPE...%20GEARBOX.pdf

Even in WRC there are maximum dimensions for the turbo’s impeller and turbine wheels with no variable pitch and geometry and any turning or coating parts made of ceramics.

Parts that of course are specific for a certain make are parts like wishbone / lower arms of the suspension.

As far as gearboxes go ill use a Subaru as an example.
    You can buy a 6 Speed box from a STi for AU$15,000 new from Subaru (retail). Hugely over priced for what it is, but its a strong H pattern box in stock form and comes with a Helical front differential and an active centre differential.
    You can buy a kit that you bolt on which converts the box to a sequential shift. This costs about AU$2500 from memory.
    Then you can change the gears to stronger straight cut ones and switch to dog engagement. This is about the AU$10,000 mark.
    End result is a sequential 6 speed box thats tough as nails (proven to handle 350kw atw easily), will shift as quick as you can move your hands and costs less than AU$30,000 even after you add a front clutch pack differential (~AU$1500) and its far less expensive than a current WRC Subaru gearbox costs.
    AU$30,000 = 21183.00 €, not a bad price for sequential gearbox.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Well, I suppose that if you have intimate knowledge and can handle with expertise the following domains:

electronics, engineering, aerodynamics, thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, mechanics, carbon fibre work, car mass transfer dynamics, welding, machining, designing, applied mathematics, materials and their resistance to stress, heat and vibrations, computers and autocad, etc..

access to supply of raw exotic materials such as titanium, berrylium, magnesium alloys, carbon fibre for machining ultra light weight parts.
    access to the machines required to fabricate those parts.
    access to a wind tunnel

Then, maybe, you can be serious about building something that will get within viewing distance of the dust lifted by the likes of FORD and CITROEN.

Todays WRC cars are as close as it gets to FORMULA ONE on gravel. They are on another planet as far as building rally car goes.
    And remember that whatever you build HAS to be homologuated by FIA.

FORD and CITROEN have spent millions in pushing the boundaries to squeeze every little ounce of performance out of their cars.

This is why they will always reject standardisation..