Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Portland Rose Festival weekend......

Nothing to celebrate anymore........

No smell of turbos....... No Exotics in the parking lot.........

No open session.... Talking with drivers..... and what a beautiful weekend...

sigh
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Welcome to our brave new world. Ain't it grand?

[youtube]praUaqWWLyk[/youtube]
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    What a great tune!. Talking about a time when the politics were second topic of conversation to the racing...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    Nothing to celebrate anymore........

No smell of turbos....... No Exotics in the parking lot.........

No open session.... Talking with drivers..... and what a beautiful weekend...

sigh
    Evolve or face extinction. Life sux. Get over it.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bblocker68
    Evolve or face extinction. Life sux. Get over it.
    That's right NW race fans - get over it! IndyCar doesn't need fans in your neck of the woods. How dare you call yourself a fan and actually want a race near you. Who do you think you are?!?!**

**saracsm alert**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Two alternatives. Number 1 - enough spectators buy tickets and show up so that the promoter can at least break even, or maybe make a buck. Hmm, tried that, didn't work. Number two - the promoter raises the price of tickets to cover his/her costs. How many of those crying about losing the race would dig deep for the enhanced tickets? Oops, got to raise the price again cause the count went even lower.

The bottom line is that in almost every case where a race goes away, it's because of the economic viability of the event. I know some would like the promoters to put on a charity event for their enjoyment, but the real world does NOT work that way.
    True, there are financial reasons why the Portland race no longer takes place. (Though there are plenty of places where corporations sponsor local events as a way of "giving back to the community" - i.e. treating it like a charity.)

However, I'm not going to bash a guy who misses his hometown race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From 1984 until 2007 folks!! I was at a few great races there. Alot of great drivers/racing there. A shame that open wheel isn't there/Cleveland/Road America/Laguna Seca...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_of_Portland

More than worthy of remembering, not to mention it being a great part of the Rose Festival for any open wheel fan.........

Seeing Zanardi there was breathtaking. And some years it was worth it just to see the cars in the parking lot!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimispeed
    From 1984 until 2007 folks!! I was at a few great races there. Alot of great drivers/racing there. A shame that open wheel isn't there/Cleveland/Road America/Laguna Seca...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_of_Portland

More than worthy of remembering, not to mention it being a great part of the Rose Festival for any open wheel fan.........

Seeing Zanardi there was breathtaking. And some years it was worth it just to see the cars in the parking lot!!!
    Zanardi overtaking Herta in the hairpin at Seca - still galls me but what racing they had going on it was a wonderful track. Never went to Portland but heard the same about experiencing it. Back in the day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I feel for you, jimispeed. Early this spring, when the trees here in the northeast were finally starting to bud, I was thinkign about the many champ car races my wife and I attended at Nazareth. It must be a spring phenomenon, because hot summer days do not remind me of the champ car races at New Hampshire. (I hope to see NH on the IndyCar schedule next year!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The soul of Indycar still exists, just needs the right tools. Hopefully the new "Indycar" can expose it again. It's sinking......

Indycar had better become the series it once was, or all we'll remember is, the series it once was.