Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree, the safety crew is usually very good at doing the job but that was terrible. They knew the car was on fire as it was rolling down the track. A safety crew member in that first truck should of had an extinguisher on his lap ready to go and when they got there, jump out and start putting out the fire.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    only 1 guy was actually trying to get her out of there, so but if its a fire, pull me out as fast as you can, how you think they wanted to pull her out, nice and slow, let her roast some more, she might've had a strap get struck to her or something, but I'm pretty sure being in a fire, I'd like to get yanked out as fast as possible. the others should not have a job anymore though
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Fast is slow, slow is quick.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It was a pitiful excuse of an extrication but, The safety crew has done a marvalous job over the years. Remember Alex Zanardi's near fatal crash?
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Yeah, other than him, all of the rest of them would be led out of the track before the race was done. And I'd only leave him alone because at least he was doing something (exactly what, I'm not really sure - but it was something). Put a call out for some volunteer firemen and EMT's and let them complete the race.
    actually he was as bad as the rest as he stood there as though thinking what to do, then failed to get the head restraint removed from the car, when he finally tried, at that point it was probably not possible to remove it due to the fire damage

and until the fire got really hot and she was being engulfed, he did little, but then finally tried to pull her from the side of the car, instead of turning her sideways and then lifting her straight up....

body does not bend too well sideways like he was doing to her

it was pitiful and as bad as when massa had his accident or when Ralf Schuie crashed the front straight at Indy

I have always held both IRL and the old CC safety responses as the prime example for others to follow, but tonight, well.....

only about 35 to 40 seconds to get her out from the time he arrived until he pulled her out.

Nothwithstanding the fire suits, the suits primarily keep the skin from catching fire. They do a poor job of heat insulation
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That was flat embarrassing work by the safety crews.

Very amateurish and very bad for a "supposed" top tier series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    It was a pitiful excuse of an extrication but, The safety crew has done a marvalous job over the years. Remember Alex Zanardi's near fatal crash?
    The old CART/Champ Car safety crew did yes, the ones led by Drs. Steve Olvey and Terry Trammell. And thank god they did for that and many others over the years.

This current version of the Holmatro Safety Team is the same IndyCar crew just now in the Holmatro colors. After the unification in 2008, the old crew was not adopted as part of the transition. If they were, such an abominable situation would have been avoided, IMO.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    Already on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIatXMiyZ6w

Terrible. I though Indycar got the "amazing CART safety team" as part of the merger?
    I think both Terry Trammell and Stephen Olvey left (were forced out of?) AOWR when CCWS took over from CART. I don't know who is involved in the IRL's crew, or if Olvey or Trammell have any input these days or not. Maybe once the safety crew twists & yanks your burned body out of the car, they would still operate on you - but I really don't know what their status is. I don't say this just because I was a major CART fan, but I'd have a hard time believing that these bumbling idiots could have even made it through the first round of cuts to be on the CART safety crew. There were some very screwy things about CART. But the safety crew was always considered to be world class. That was one area where F1 really didn't have a leg up on CART.

Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    Unfortunately, I do. Had it been these goobers there, he would have bled out and died before they got themselves unbuckled and exited the safety truck.

I'm disappointed that the Versus/IRL announce crew didn't make more (anything, really!) of this. Even in NASCAR, DW (or one of the others) will hammer on something stupid, if it's so obvious that people will likely take issue with it after the race. I always thought pretty highly of Jon Beekhuis. Him, especially, I would have expected to say something more about this clownish display of unprofessionalism. And he's also Swiss. You'd think, if anyone would have, he'd have a problem with one of his countrymen(women) getting barbequed.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    That was one area where F1 really didn't have a leg up on CART.

yeah I was at the f1 race and sat in the stands while the joke of the f1 response team prevented a nearby safety crew from doing anything......while his car just sat there for several minutes with no one near and that was the wrost I have seen, in person or tv in 20 years.....tonight's response is the second worst I have seen in 20 years.... the only difference was that this was the F1 bosses dictating that stupid response....

this just seemed to be incompetence in the crew and whoever put them on the track.....

When she was interviewed I expected some danica tears....instead she was like nerves of steel....
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As soon as I saw the first crew pile out of the truck and nobody had a fire extinguisher I thought "this isn't going to be good"

I use to work at a motorsports facility. If our crew had performed as this one did we would have called them into the office after the race and handed them their final paychecks.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    That was absolutely pathetic.