Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Collisions in the battle for the race lead

Considering that such occurrences we saw yesterday are quite rare, it made me thinking, when was the last time we saw a collision in a battle for the race lead. Villeneuve-Schumacher? And if we include the factor of team-mates, Prost-Senna? : It is also worth noting that those collisions took place in the culmination of a championship fight, so there was a suspicion of deliberate moves. Then what was the last "normal" crash? Hill-Schumacher at Silverstone in '95?(iirc they weren't in the lead at Monza) If we include race starts, examples can be found from the first three races of 2002 and Austria 1999.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Wasn't there a collision in erm... 98 or 99 between Hakkinen and Coulthard going into the second corner at Austria.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Remember the Red Bull teammates colliding while racing for the lead in Turkey?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Borderline collsion, but Montoya ran wide and force Schumacher M off the track in Austria 2001 and as I mention before Coulthard punted Hakkinen off in turn 2 in 99 Austria.

M. Schumacher v Villeneuve must be the last epic Championship collision for a Race lead.

I remember Schumacher v Hill obviously too, but I cant remember if they were 1 & 2 at the time.

Then the Prost v Senna battles in 89 & 90.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    In Australia 94 Schumacher was leading with Hill rapidly catching him when they tangled.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Stirling Moss and Peter Collins at Monaco in 1957
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I was at the 1992 Australian GP, where Senna ploughed into Mansell.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    If we go outside of F1 there are quite a few instances of this.
    The most dramatic I saw was the 1989 Indy 500 where Fittipaldi and Unser Jr. touched on the penultimate lap. Fittipaldi took the win, while Unser sportingly gave him the thumbs up from the infield.
    The 1976 Daytona 500 saw David Pearson and Richard Petty collied and wreck on the final corner, Pearson was able to creep across the line for the win. Probably lots more of these in NASCAR, this is just the most dramatic.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    Remember the Red Bull teammates colliding while racing for the lead in Turkey?
    Correct this was in 2010 when Webber was told to move over for Vettel, they collided and Vettel retired, while Webber limped on.

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Correct this was in 2010 when Webber was told to move over for Vettel, they collided and Vettel retired, while Webber limped on.
    Actually Mark was told to turn his car down, then Vettel forced a bad line IMO. Mark held his position leaving room but Vettel moved over into him.

At the time team orders were banned. From what came out later I don't quite understand why RB wasn't investigated.

After the RB incident, Jenson and Lewis almost tangled for the lead as well, under similar suspicious circumstances. After both being told to conserve fuel, Jenson attacked, and Lewis wasn't having it.