What could we see in the future, after the recent running of the Indy 500? Here are a few thoughts and questions to ponder:

1. Why will the next generation of Indy Car likely (in some fashion) have closed wheels? Because of accidents like the Conway one today. Can't afford to have cars launching into the air like that. And it happens way too often with Indy Cars. Have to keep the cars from launching over the tires of another car and out of catch fences/crowd. Indy Car has been very lucky over the years. One day, that luck will run out.

2. Could today's win for Dario mean retirement is near? I think its very likely now. Might have happened even without today's result. But I would guess we have seen Dario's last race at Indy.

3. Could Ganassi be looking at 2 new drivers in 2011? I think its possible. How could it shake out?

-Dario retires
-Dixon goes to deFerren/Dragon
-Chip hires Rahal and Wilson

4. Is Ryan Briscoe in any trouble with The Captain? Briscoe seems way too mistake-prone and has clearly fallen to 3rd on that team. Plus Roger has a former Indy 500 winner down in NASCAR (with no sponsor signed yet for 2011) who may ready for a return to his former #6 car in the Indy Cars. Sam reunited with his old sponsor Pennzoil in Indy Cars?

5. Who could be the hottest free agent for 2011? Simona de Silvestro should be in high demand and a higher level team should come calling. Keep your eye on Panther Racing, and a possible 2nd car there. If Stargate and the rest of her sponsors stay with her, they will no doubt be looking for a move up.