Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Washington About To Reject Nascar

Looks like Washington (State Of) thinks Nascar is just a bunch of rednecks and they are about to reject a Nascar track:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...tory/6379922p-

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-5690592c.html

Chopp was dismissive when asked about Petty, a hugely popular figure known as “the King” in the world of racing.

“You mean the guy who got picked up for DUI?” the House speaker asked. Chopp quickly added that he’d only heard about a drunken driving incident and wasn’t sure if it were true.

Still, the speaker made it clear he wasn’t impressed.

“He’s not a member of the House, last time I checked,” Chopp said.

Chopp has said repeatedly that no House Democrats have pushed him to support the NASCAR track. He says he doesn't hear from anyone about it. At a press availability earlier this month, when asked about NASCAR — as the Longview Daily News reported —

he pulled out a Wall Street Journal article sent to him by a legislator describing the rowdy crowds at the Talledega Speedway in Alabama.
    The article reported that "hard-drinking" fans "whoop it up for days."

"These people are not the kind of people you would want living next door to you," Seaquist said. "They'd be the ones with the junky cars in the front yard and would try to slip around the law."
    "If you can help others, and fail to do so, your time on earth has been wasted" - Roberto Clemente

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Now Chopp is claiming that he didn't mean the NASCAR fans, what he really meant was the people who work at and for ISC... which makes no sense whatsoever. If he's worried that ISC is going to transfer Jessica, the secretary, to Washington State, and she'll bring her single wide trailer and junk cars with her, that's ridiculous. The $30K/year people that ISC would employ would probably be local hires. The ISC executives and managers that would transfer, I somehow don't think these deep six figure guys would bring down property values.

I do not agree with government funding of race tracks or sports complexes, but for a politician (of all things) to rag on the average fan like that, seems very uncalled for. I'd worry more about a politician living near me. I mean, they are known to steal, rob, rape, kill and molest children and animals. Seems like that's the type of person who would make property values go down.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Someone talking about a sport they know nothing about,great.Sooner or later there well be a track in the state of Washington.
    Hail to the Redskins Hail Victory
    Art Monk and Darrell Green 2008 Hall of Fame

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Jslone, actually, no I think there wont be a track. It seems the clueless granola crunchers don't get that at least facilitating the building of a NASCAR class oval in that part of the world is an economic generator. Maybe this is what happens when you let libreal politicians loose with their own power for too long, they forget the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally,
    I'd take a look at bringing Portland up to specs or building a track in BC just above the border east of White rock. There's a nice plot of land there.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Jslone, actually, no I think there wont be a track. It seems the clueless granola crunchers don't get that at least facilitating the building of a NASCAR class oval in that part of the world is an economic generator. Maybe this is what happens when you let libreal politicians loose with their own power for too long, they forget the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them.
    I'll have you know that the same thing happens when conservative politicians stay in power too long.

I think that it's purely people talking out of their asses. We have a track here in Chicago and the atmosphere is totally different from 'Dega. Two different tracks, two different regions, two different fan reactions. I doubt you'll get as much of a party atmosphere in Washington as you get in 'Dega.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

re:stadiums and tracks in WA

The problem is that currently in Washington / Seattle, there is a very poor political climate surrounding private sports facilities built with public money.
    Here is some recent history:
    • In 1995 the public voted down the Mariners Safeco field. The Mariners threatened to leave. The state pushed a tax package through and built it.[/*:m:j4mkalqf]
    • Later, they tore down the recently renovated Kingdome...a renovation which is still to this day being paid for.[/*:m:j4mkalqf]
    • In 1994-95, the public financed the rebuild of the Sonics Keyarena. They now say after 11 years that this (nice, but smaller than optimal) facility is obsolete and the Sonics new owners are threatening to move unless the State pitches 200+ million in for a new arena somewhere in Western WA. (Seattle voters passed an initiative last year banning new public facilities built for private for-profit sports leagues...so there is no way the Sonics will stay in the city.)[/*:m:j4mkalqf]
    • The Seahawks pushed an unpopular stadium tax deal through a few years ago, leading to the construction of Qwest field, 70% of which is being paid for by the public.[/*:m:j4mkalqf]
    So, I guess you could say that there is a very unfavorable condition in Western Washington right now for private sports franchises seeking public money to build their facilities.

That said, I favor a track, and this will go up for a public vote in a 3-county area to see if there is a public backing.

(I would actually love to see a Bristol-style .5 to .75 mile track built just over the mountains (1.5 hours from Seattle) in the much drier Ellensburg area of Eastern Washington.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know why they're considering a race in the northwest anyway. Doesn't it rain 9 outta 10 days up there?... Sounds like they have some politicians that don't really research something very well before they stick their foots in their mouths as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ms0362
    I don't know why they're considering a race in the northwest anyway. Doesn't it rain 9 outta 10 days up there?...
    Actually, Florida gets more annual rainfall than Western Washington. the problem is that ours comes down in a steady drizzle instead of all at once.

Eastern Washington is very dry.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's because it's what's what's referred to as a rain shadow desert.