Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cars in 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did the SX4 actually look like a crossover when it entered WRC, did it? I dont think the center of gravity will be the problem....
    Never give up...

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFL
    Did the SX4 actually look like a crossover when it entered WRC, did it? I dont think the center of gravity will be the problem....
    I don't know, but the SX4 and the identical Fiat Sedeci are referred to as 'crossovers'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Almost nothing on a Wrc car is the same as a roadgoing car, so it's no reason to compare.. If so, Subaru or Mitsubishi would easily win the WRC, many times in a row..
    Never give up...

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    I don't know, but the SX4 and the identical Fiat Sedeci are referred to as 'crossovers'.
    Have you seen Citroen DS3 road car?. It looks very similar height as Mini crossover.
    Don´t play any cars down before building. I can say that for sure, Hummer is not very good base to build S1600T WRC :-) But I dont dare to say it about Mini.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    Have you seen Citroen DS3 road car?. It looks very similar height as Mini crossover.
    But a Citroen DS3 is not a crossover car, so there is no criticism over it's predicted performance.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The WRC-edition will not be a crossover.. Crossover=Normal car with higher rideheight, due to different suspension, and ****, and maybe som small bodywork change..
    Non of the things underneath the bodywork, will be used in a wrc car..
    Never give up...

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    A Mini crossover is just a marketing trick, it`s a pitty you can`t recognise it your self. It`s actualy a hatcback, just like Ds3 or Fiesta - it`s called a crossover because that`s what sell cars right now, just look which car are high in demand right now (Qashqai, Rav4, Outlander, etc.). There`s as much crossover in it, as a sports coupe in a 2dr Defender.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All I know is what N.O.T said a few weeks ago
    this is the only true statement you've made in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with the Countryman, and it's not going to be a failure just because it's been called a 'crossover'. To me it seems like a better choice than the regular Mini, but either could be made into a good rally car.

If you're going to comment on shoddy aerodynamics, provide sources. I don't mean to sound insulting but I seriously doubt you have even a slight grasp of automobile aerodynamics because it's a very complicated subject.

Last I checked the regular Mini had a drag coefficient of about 0.33, which is average, and I doubt the Countryman's body is significantly different.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    But a Citroen DS3 is not a crossover car, so there is no criticism over it's predicted performance.
    The DS3 could very easily be bulit as a crossover model if Citroen wants to do that.

Just put bigger wheels and higher suspension and you´ve got the change.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serial jeff
    Last I checked the regular Mini had a drag coefficient of about 0.33, which is average, and I doubt the Countryman's body is significantly different.
    It may be even better since countryman is longer and that counts. Short hatchback is in fact very bad kind of body in terms of aerodynamics.

On the other hand we shouldn't forget front area as the aerodynamics depends on multiplication of drag coefficient and front area. So in the end let's say that if countryman have 0,01 better drag coefficient, it may have some 3% bigger front area and still same aerodynamics.

But in the end such math is a bit pointless since they will destroy drag coefficient anyway by using spoilers and big rear wing. And I also think that "outside" aerodynamics are not that important in rallying because of significantly lower speeds than on circuits. In my opinion the most important aerodynamics in WRC car is inside - air fluid through engine compartment and cooling of brakes, differentials etc.

Logically "normal" Mini looks like better choice than Countryman but since it's very small car there might be problem with good balance. You simply may have problem to fit everything inside in correct order. What I want to say is that with bigger car You can achieve better center of gravity, better weight balance etc. Of course it's always a question of "how much bigger" is better and vice versa.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump