Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
Just what Gulfport needs. They damn near get wiped off the map and then they can spend some money on putting in an IRL race? Last time I heard, a lot of people in that part of the world were still trying to put their lives back together, but maybe something like this would do something for the area. I guess I would have to remain a skeptic...
Actually the thinking here on the Gulf Coast is it's a no-brainer for the city government. Gulfport needs the tourist dollars badly. The south Mississippi area needs something to rally around. And the media spotlight, frankly, has been on New Orleans and Katrina. This event would VISUALLY show the world that Katrina cleanup isn't anywhere near over yet. This event could bring in a LOT of money directly and indirectly to south Mississippi. Although i do remain skeptical that it will happen this fall, i'm hoping that it will, for Gulfport's sake. Plus, this part of the country don't get too many big league motorsports. I'd be hanging out there all weekend anyway.