Thread: Toyota

MJW

Toyota

Its being reported in the British motorsport press that representatives from Toyota are attending a WTCC race and the pre Rally Portugal "superspecial" in Lisbon. Toyota are keen to downplay the significance of these visits, but coupled with a criticism from Toyota that F1 is too eliteist and doent connect with Toyota's customer base (why did they waste a decade in F1?) could we see a return to what I think is Toyota's real home of WRC and LeMans?
    I reckon that if any manufacturer is to challenge Citroen its Toyota with its all or nothing approach, and I guess the resources available at Koln could even get a rally car ready for 2011 if they decide.
    I for one am hoping for a TTE return to WRC.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Its being reported in the British motorsport press that representatives from Toyota are attending a WTCC race and the pre Rally Portugal "superspecial" in Lisbon. Toyota are keen to downplay the significance of these visits, but coupled with a criticism from Toyota that F1 is too eliteist and doent connect with Toyota's customer base (why did they waste a decade in F1?) could we see a return to what I think is Toyota's real home of WRC and LeMans?
    I reckon that if any manufacturer is to challenge Citroen its Toyota with its all or nothing approach, and I guess the resources available at Koln could even get a rally car ready for 2011 if they decide.
    I for one am hoping for a TTE return to WRC.
    Being selfish, I hope they give the WTCC a miss. Come back to their 'natural home', i;e the WRC. On the Midweek Motorsport podcast a few weeks ago, Allan McNish, the ex Toyota driver was of the opinion that Le Mans is very much a priority/ unfinished business for them - so I would expect them there.
    The F1 program was a huge mistake - and didn't suit their image.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love to see Toyota back in WRC but I think Le Mans program is more realistic.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by koko0703
    I love to see Toyota back in WRC but I think Le Mans program is more realistic.
    Why not both? Compared to the obscene amount of Yen spent on the FI fiasco.........

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    I don't believe in a return of Toyota neither in WRC nor at Le Mans soon...

MJW
    In gpweek.com (online magazine) out today a senior person in Toyota says that future Toyota motorsports programme should be in line with the mainstream Toyota product that the general public buy. I read this as a road car based motorsport - WRC, or as Toyota is heavily into hybrids, maybe the new engine Le Mans effort. Olivier Quensel still refuses to say what the new Peugeot engine will be, petrol, petrol-hybrid, or diesel. My guess is that Peugeot in Le Mans will be petrol hybrid, and that allows Toyota a chance to compete and showcase their new technology engine. As for rallying, well you can see that Toyota as a company have not had it good of late, firstly the failure of the F1 project, all the roadcar recalls, the lawsuits in the USA etc.What better way of re-establishing a motor manufacturers credibility but a succesful WRC and LeMans programe? - I would love to see K AM 2011 number plate on a futue WRC car.
    And I'm sure Mr Andersson would be pleased and proud if TTE came back.
    RIP Paven

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    I think it is pathetic that Toyota left WRC and went to F1, because it was a massive waste of money....

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Rationale behind the F1 decision was sound enough but execution of the actual programme has not quite produced expected results. Which is pretty interesting, considering the resources they should have.

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    As far as I understand Toyota had really long chain of decision makers. So, when the leading teams decided to develop new innovative technology they took it in use very quickly. In terms of Toyota many upgrades were already yesterday before they were finally installed to the car.

In WRC it was not such a big problem because the speed of development is not so rapid and you cannot homologate new parts too often.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas