Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I suppose its an unsensitive place to put a Mosque but I dont see any other legitimate reason's why a mosque shouldn't be built near there. If someone wants to build a mosque I can only assume there are enough muslim people who would want to worship there to warrant the cost and hassle of trying to build one in that particular area.

Just becuase a small number of whacko muslims committed a terrorist attatck doesn't mean you have to condem an entire faith! The normal law abiding muslims of the world must far outnumber the nutcases. It's just a shame that the nutcases get all the attention.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    The normal law abiding muslims of the world must far outnumber the nutcases. It's just a shame that the nutcases get all the attention.
    True. There are over 1 billion Muslims in the world. Think if they were all nutcases and suicide bombers. We wouldn't be sitting here.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    We don't have a human right not to be offended.
    I guess that's why Muslim protesters were allowed to chant slogans against dead UK soldiers along Wootton Bassett. Oh, wait. They (Islam4UK) were barred from doing so because many soldier's family members found that to be offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    True. There are over 1 billion Muslims in the world. Think if they were all nutcases and suicide bombers. We wouldn't be sitting here.
    Speak for yourself. I don't care how much they have in numbers.
    I'll still defend myself, just as should the victim's family members, from hostilities.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Speak for yourself. I don't care how much they have in numbers.
    I'll still defend myself, just as should the victim's family members, from hostilities.
    Sitting at your computer?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's clear that apart from the people who died, the image of Islam suffered greatly as a result of the 9/11 attacks. So in that sense I can understand why Muslims would have an interest in trying to disassociate the Muslim religion from the 2001 terrorist attacks, which is the reason they want to build this Islamic centre, and build it in that place.

However, it seems to me that building it at or near Ground Zero in NYC will actually achieve quite the opposite effect, and tie the two ideas together more strongly.

So putting aside the wishes and feelings of the victims' relatives for a moment, I think the whole thing is a bad idea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    It's clear that apart from the people who died, the image of Islam suffered greatly as a result of the 9/11 attacks. So in that sense I can understand why Muslims would have an interest in trying to disassociate the Muslim religion from the 2001 terrorist attacks, which is the reason they want to build this Islamic centre, and build it in that place.

However, it seems to me that building it at or near Ground Zero in NYC will actually achieve quite the opposite effect, and tie the two ideas together more strongly.

So putting aside the wishes and feelings of the victims' relatives for a moment, I think the whole thing is a bad idea.
    Gracias amigo. Bien dicho.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sitting at your computer?
    Let's not go there Eki. I'm doing my part for America.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Let's not go there Eki. I'm doing my part for America.
    I said "We wouldn't be sitting here". You said you would.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I guess that's why Muslim protesters were allowed to chant slogans against dead UK soldiers along Wootton Bassett. Oh, wait. They (Islam4UK) were barred from doing so because many soldier's family members found that to be offensive.
    No.

Specifically they were declared terrorists under the Terrorism Act 2000 :
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/uksi_20100034_en_1
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_...a/10127563.stm

No thanks! Stirring the emotions of 9/11 victim's families is not fair play.
    Unless you want trouble, then build it somewhere else.
    GloomyDay, your initial post pointed to you not wanting to build a mosque near ground zero. But the tone of your other posts kind of makes me think you'd be against building a mosque anywhere. Would you be bothered if a mosque was to be build in your town, city neighbourhood or where ever you live?
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    GloomyDay, your initial post pointed to you not wanting to build a mosque near ground zero. But the tone of your other posts kind of makes me think you'd be against building a mosque anywhere. Would you be bothered if a mosque was to be build in your town, city neighbourhood or where ever you live?
    Not at all. I live in a city named Tustin and if you Google my city you'll see that there are many mosques in my vicinity. I'm not afraid of Muslims or care about their religion either, but I feel the same when it comes to other religions as well.

The problem I have with a mosque being built near Ground Zero is that the victim's families have to swallow a bitter pill. This is like a slap in the face to the 2750 people that died on 9/11 and I for one won't stand for such an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    No.

Specifically they were declared terrorists under the Terrorism Act 2000 :
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/uksi_20100034_en_1
    What a cop out!

First there is a debate about whether or not Muslims should be allowed to protest on Wootten Bassett. Then, the UK government decides to wave the magic "terrorist wand" and now Muslims are not allowed to protest. I'm not sure why it's right for your country to protect the soldier's families from being slandered by Muslims, but it is not right for people to be against a mosque being built a hop-skip-jump from Ground Zero.

I said "We wouldn't be sitting here". You said you would.
    Oh, I misread your statement.

You're right. We wouldn't be sitting around.....