Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mosque being built near Ground Zero?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_...a/10127563.stm

No thanks! Stirring the emotions of 9/11 victim's families is not fair play.

Unless you want trouble, then build it somewhere else.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Can I make a distinction here?

"Muslims" did not cause 9/11 - murderers did.

Although I really hate Islam and a lot of the teachings of the Quran, it doesn't mean that people don't have the right to believe anything they wish.

Furthermore, the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution says that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Provided the people set up the Mosque within the civil confines of the law, then really no-one can stop them.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo

No....Muslims did commit the 9/11 atrocities. They were Muslims and they did in because they were Muslim.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although I really hate Islam and a lot of the teachings of the Quran, it doesn't mean that people don't have the right to believe anything they wish.

Furthermore, the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution says that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Provided the people set up the Mosque within the civil confines of the law, then really no-one can stop them.
    Are you sure about that buddy? This is like rubbing salt in fresh wounds.

Seems highly inappropriate to build a Mosque where the teachings of the Koran lead to 2750 deaths.
    Those "murderers" were Muslim and they committed that act against America because of Islam.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The perpretrators were Islamists and yes Muslims.
    But the vast majority of Muslims want no part of the fanatical Islamists.
    I do agree that building a Mosque there is not very smart though for PR reasons.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Big woop.

Texas v. Johnson (1989)
    "if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable."
    Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.

I understand the concern and the upset. But as I previously posted, I think it's more important to examine the issues of militancy, fanaticism, brainwashing, delusion etc.

I don't particularly like seeing lads mags next to the newspaper at newsstands, but do I have any right to make newsstands remove them? Of course not.

We don't have a human right not to be offended.

On the other side of the street from the Mosque should sit a gay bar, and next door a cartoonist building crowned by a picture of the "prophet' Muhammad...
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    No....Muslims did commit the 9/11 atrocities. They were Muslims and they did in because they were Muslim.
    No, they did it because of what the US has been doing in the Middle East.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY

Seems highly inappropriate to build a Mosque where the teachings of the Koran lead to 2750 deaths.
    Those "murderers" were Muslim and they committed that act against America because of Islam.
    Quran and teachings of Islam don't even mention America.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    NO. They did it because they were idiot Muslims, the same as there are many idiot Christians and idiot Jews. You can't blame a whole religion just because some tosser interpreted a book in a stupid way.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Big woop.

Texas v. Johnson (1989)
    "if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable."
    Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.

I understand the concern and the upset. But as I previously posted, I think it's more important to examine the issues of militancy, fanaticism, brainwashing, delusion etc.

I don't particularly like seeing lads mags next to the newspaper at newsstands, but do I have any right to make newsstands remove them? Of course not.

We don't have a human right not to be offended.

On the other side of the street from the Mosque should sit a gay bar, and next door a cartoonist building crowned by a picture of the "prophet' Muhammad...
    I agree. Paise be to the prophet pedo

We should all be like the "good Germans" in the 1930's, who welcomed the nazis to do whatever they want....there were plenty of SS oficers who never shot one jew, russian and so on, so we should not condemn all nazis, and if they want to build memorials to Hitler right next to concentration camps, "We don't have a human right not to offended"....whatever that means

btw, brennan was an old liberal fool, whose droppings on the american flag and other of his rulings should be dumped, and he lucked out with his 5-4 decisions where the cowardly kennedy would concur
    by Brennan's own logic, laws outlawing "hate crimes" are also unconstitutional, because of crimes are a form of political expression...

(okay, now eki can start arguing about how/ why jews are in Isreal, etc..)
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: