Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J.

...and another.
    I am not a pessimist, I just agree with N.O.T's post, because new teams normally struggle for 1 -2 years then they walk away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What a place this is...

People have been crying to get more manu's into series for years. Now that one might be coming, what is the reaction? "They will fail, not going to happen, it'll take 1-2 years for them etc..."

If you have nothing to say, then shut up?

Welcome to WRC Mini and Prodrive.
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    What a place this is...

People have been crying to get more manu's into series for years. Now that one might be coming, what is the reaction? "They will fail, not going to happen, it'll take 1-2 years for them etc..."

Hurrah for common sense!

Totally agree with everyone apart from the few pessimists on this forum. Nothing wrong with a manufacturer entering. Mini will be a great marketing tool for the WRC. Those who think it will fail, have you noticed the state the WRC is in. Its not like the cream of the crop are driving is it? Its those who can pay. Hopefully we can see a return to skillful drivers.

For those who don't believe a new team cannot be competitive and will just fail.

Citroen in 2002, plagued by issues in their first real season whether it be management or the car. 2003 they had a really competitive package.
    2004 Mitsubishi returned to the WRC and had a horrid year. Who can forget Gilles Panizzi in 2005 standing on the Monte podium, and Galli fighting with Loeb in Turkey, then privateer Mitsubishis of Carlsson and Galli fighting for podium.
    Suzuki. Did one year, but we started to see real potential in that car in Japan.
    Toyota. Their Celica and Corolla programs had differing amounts of success in the early days, but look what they became.
    Ford in 1999, talk about a woeful year with a new car, but they grew on that over time and are now one of the last remaining power houses.
    My favourite is a German manufacturer called Audi. Everyone wrote them off saying the car was too heavy due to the 4WD system. As they say the rest is history.

Hopefully this announcement from another heavyweight (Richards) will entice others to come back or join up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    I am not a pessimist, I just agree with N.O.T's post, because new teams normally struggle for 1 -2 years then they walk away.
    Usually?
    Which manufacturers were you thinking of that struggled for 1-2 years then walked away? I can think of just one in recent times.

Subaru / Prodrive however entered the WRC in 1990 and went on to win three manufacturer titles and three drivers titles before bowing out in 2008.
    Personally, I think if anyone can make a sucess of the Mini WRC, Prodrive can. And I am really pleased another manufacturer is entering the WRC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What a place this is...

Mouth shut.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh
    Usually?
    Which manufacturers were you thinking of that struggled for 1-2 years then walked away? I can think of just one in recent times.
    Suzuki of course...

What a place this is...

Of course, it is always a good thing to have a new manufacture in the sport, but remember; "a pessamist is never dissapointed".

There is nothing wrong with being a pessamist. And BTW, I am not a pessamist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is some hope with mini. They have all prodrive experience behind them (skoda, seat, suzuki, and others that failed, didn't had such experience). The new rules for sure will make things easier for mini.

(hope I'm not burned for giving this example)
    Last year, on a sport called F1, a new team - Brawn - based on a previous, slow team - honda - was able to dominate the events against the big name of McLaren and Ferrari. Why is that? Because meanwhile the other team were competing the 2008 championship, brawn done his homework and got ready for the new rules introduced on 2009.
    mdesign 0_o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdesign
    There is some hope with mini. They have all prodrive experience behind them (skoda, seat, suzuki, and others that failed, didn't had such experience). The new rules for sure will make things easier for mini.
    If Colin had been alive today and Skoda had stuck with WRC then I'm sure that car would of been a winner as he proved by driving that car made others sit up and take notice

Good luck to Prodrive and the Mini
    Despite what it looks like a lot of road cars look horrible but the rally versions are different

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
    Glad they join the series but Marketing wise, what for ?

I'm no expert but the drivers of Mini in my area are exclusively Brunette and Blonde "drivettes" on high heel shoes.

Kinda hot crowd generally hanging around the Monaco F1 Grand Prix a few Kms away.

They might be horrified to see their toys being covered with snow, dust and mud... except if BMW's decision to jump in the WRC is to correct this tendancy and target male drivers... tare:
    Markku Alén, 1978 World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    Peugeot, Citroen, anyone?
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...