Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFan
    All four times you highlighted were in fact too slow to make the field....
    So then you agree with me, all those PRACTICE times are irrelavent. Thank you for seeing the point.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    So then you agree with me, all those PRACTICE times are irrelavent. Thank you for seeing the point.
    Then why practice at all....
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If practice were irrelevant they wouldn't do it....

I understand that there is sandbagging and piecing together laps, working on sectors separately etc. but I have to agree with Ken, I mean SarahFan... Paul had a bunch more slower laps than faster ones... It seems to me you need to piece together a reasonable number of fast practice laps to be able to contend for a good starting position with a strong degree of confidence that you will succeed....

That being said - comparing Paul to Milka is just plain absurd - you aren't gonna get many racing fans to see your point of view if you do silly thing like that!! Paul not making the race had a lot more to do with bad luck than Milka not making the race...... - in that sense practice is irrelevant - Milka had no chance of doing better - Paul did and his faster practice laps proved that....

however, at the end of the day neither will be drinking the milk in victory lane..... and really, in the big scheme of things the whole sport is pretty low on the relevance scale - it is just fun.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A word on practice times.

Again for those who are not at the track, every day, talking with drivers and engineers (or working with them) I would be careful with some observations made from your living room.

Practice times:

Practice is practice. Comparing times from one team to another is a foolsih game, UNLESS you know what each team's practice stratedgy, how the car is set up is and weather they were running alone or in the draft. It is kind of like going to the gym, and looking at how much weight each person puts up and trying to compare who is the strongest guy. It means nothing, unless you know what they are training for.

Some teams are working on race setup, others on qualifying setup. Also, when the time was posted, was the driver alone, or were they getting a tow? Were they towed by one, two or more cars. Even then, you can have two teams working on race setups, but one team might be looking at half tank runs, while another might be going with full tank runs. Some might be running sticker tires, others scrubbed, etc, etc.

There are times when you run at set speed to check certain things (the Honda engine guy might want you to stay in 5th or 6th gear, to check the soft/hard limiter, etc) the driver might be checking for a wheel vibration to go away, or the wind may have shifted. They might be checking dash warngin lights, or spotter checks, etc.

We actually make notes in our lap times on how many cars were we following and ensure that when we are working on qual set ups, we run alone. We throw out the times where we kow a driver was getting a pull, even our own.

From our notes, Milka's fastest lap came after being passed by a group of four-five cars, so she had a pretty good tow.

If someone is dumb enough to compare Milka to anyone else who did not make the race, remember race control called her in at least four times! Al Jr. was sent down twice to "advise" her twice or more. I think only two other drivers were called in by race control this month, both rookies. Of course, there were times I did not have my radio on so those who were there can chime in.

Let the madness continue.
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lets be perfectly clear.....No one.... Certainly not me is Compairing Paul to milka

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Indeed no one has done that merely stated he wasn't quick enough to make the field. That's a fact because he isn't there!
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    clearly super fans like like you and hoop know something I dont....perhaps YOUR in fact the one who knows more than Barry
    I know Paul himself said he was not working on qualifying setups at that time so what he was doing then had nothing to do with his qualifying effort.

And I know it was not me who was second guessing what Barry should have been doing during that session. Look to your own posts, two of them in fact, for that little gem. You won't find a single instance in mine where I am suggesting what the team SHOULD have been doing. But as usual, you want to try to put words in other folks mouths to divert from your own.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I know Paul himself said he was not working on qualifying setups at that time so what he was doing then had nothing to do with his qualifying effort.

And I know it was not me who was second guessing what Barry should have been doing during that session. Look to your own posts, two of them in fact, for that little gem. You won't find a single instance in mine where I am suggesting what the team SHOULD have been doing. But as usual, you want to try to put words in other folks mouths to divert from your own.

Gary
    not sure what to tell ya gary..

its rather clear Paul rolled off the hauler slow.... then failed to qualify

seems to me there might just be some relevance there

have a nice day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not sure what to tell ya gary..

its rather clear Paul rolled off the hauler slow.... then failed to qualify

seems to me there might just be some relevance there

have a nice day

This is pathetic. What does ANY of that have to do with the original question about the time sheet in question and if there was any relevance to Paul being slower than Milka on that day? Now you want to make this into something completely different. Why does that not surprise me? We're done.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why so confusing Gary..... It's the very heart of the discussion

Paul was slow off the truck .... And while it was pointed out early on that it was irrellevant ... I like you and most agreed

well he failed to qualify .... I'd suggest that makes that early speed relevant

Clearly you disagree .... But your a super fan so clearly you k ow more