Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Maybe Pirelli didn't win because the Subaru Impreza was such a poorly performing car.
    That could be a point, because after Subaru had switched to BF Goodrichs for 2007 like everyone else, their performance really didn't improve.

I'm in two minds about tyre wars. Firstly, it could offer interesting performance variables and enable some underdog teams to put in some real surprises (well, various races in the 1997 season could be a good example here). But then again it must be mentioned that if the gap in tyre performances is huge (like Hungary '06), it will be annoying. But a similar or little difference with different tyre characteristics (some perform better on some circuits, other on others) could end up in a nice mix. On the other hand I'm not sure a tyre war can be afforded in the era of cost-cutting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well more news from ITV F1 on the Topic

Cooper Avon has also expressed its interest, but Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali said the teams were most seriously considered Michelin and Pirelli - which were last present in F1 in 2006 and 1990 respectively.

"In my view, and not only my view, there are still only two possibilities: Michelin or Pirelli," said Domenicali.

The Formula One Teams Association had hoped to make a final decision in a meeting in Monte Carlo yesterday, but failed to reach agreement.

"We had another meeting but no decision," Domenicali admitted.

"Maybe next weekend we won't be able to see each other all together but hopefully we will be able to find a solution."

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn acknowledged that time was getting tight to choose the 2011 tyre supply.

"I think both the tyre companies and car designers want to get on and start doing things now, otherwise there are going to be compromises, it's going to be expensive, and worst of all someone might get lucky and find they've designed their car around a tyre and get it right, and others don't through no fault of their own, just a lack of time," he said.

But he argued that it was a good sign that in-depth deliberations were required, as it meant there was plenty of interest in F1 from the tyre firms.

"We're in a better position than we were a few months ago because Formula 1 has now got some serious proposals - whereas a few months ago we had nothing," said Brawn.

"So we're greatly encouraged by the interest."

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=48462

Could well be Pirelli as I cant see Michelin after their cock up at Indy
    Mystery strikes again!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The question has to be, if it is a matter of Michelin or Pirelli, is Michelin's proposal still based around the 18 inch wheels (in which case it will probably be Pirelli), or are Michelin willing to come back under the current tyre regulations? If that is the case, then the teams and FIA should stop messing about and let both in, for the sake of the sport.