Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    I could see Danica getting the oval champion this year.
    seriously?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    welcome to todays PC age, does everyone get a trophy for participating too
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes Turn3 and Ken, she can do it. I would take wagers on that.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

I can see recognizing the exploits of drivers on both types of tracks, as long as only one driver is recognized as the season champion....or 10 years from now we'll have Bob Jenkins making the ridiculous statement that there's a record "12 former champions in the field for this race" or one driver will be a "record 9 time champion" spitting in the face of all the season champions before him.
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quick tabulation of oval standings from last year:

Dixon 1st, Dario 2nd, Briscoe 3rd, Helio 4th, the "Danica" 5th, Rahal 6th, TK 7th, Wheldon 8th, Ed 9th, Hideki 10th, Marco 11th. 5th through 11th separated by 40 points (or less than a race worth of points). Interesting that each of the drivers from 6th on back had "mechanical" failures in at least 1 race. In particular TK at Indy with the suspension breaking and Graham at Texas. I believe each of the top 11 drivers had at least 1 crash (whether their fault or not) except Dixon, Danica, and Ed. In other words DFan your girl finished a distant 5th yet barely ahead of 5 drivers that didn't finish at least 1 race due to no fault of their own. Drivers 6th thru 11th each did not finish multiple races and still finished within 8 to 40 points of 5th. Make your own analysis.

This year, obviously Rahal and Ed are both out of this particular equeation. I think you automatically put Will in there with the Penske car so 5 of the top positions are taken. I fully expect TK not to have cars catching on fire and snapping in half on him this year so that is 6. You would think RHR will certainly be a consistent challenger for top 5's and the way Marco is driving this year we can assume that his resurgence carries over to the ovals. Questions: how will D&R's oval cars be by comparison to AA, same question for KV with Moraes and Viso. Sato won't fair well consistently on ovals. Predictions everybody!!?

Mine are that Dixon and Franchitti stay at the top because both Briscoe and Helio have a tendency to crash or make mistakes coming out of the pits in Japan ( ). I think Will will be the most consistent of the Penske drivers but athough has finished well on ovals still needs to prove something on them, he finishes 6th between TK in 5th and RHR (assuming FT) in 7th. Marco will be 8th with Wilson in 9th. Danica should be 10th considering Conway, Moraes, and Viso will crash as many races as they challenge for top 5's. That is pretty much how it'll happen...book it, I'll take bets!!
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    Yes Turn3 and Ken, she can do it. I would take wagers on that.
    Think of how much $$ you already admitted you lose to your friends. Have they ever tried an intervention for you?
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzcam
    I have a better idea. Just eliminate the ovals altogether and then there is no need for the dichotomous podium.

In a true auto race, drivers turn left AND right.

BZ
    in a true auto race people race in autos against competitors, and In a true auto championship, drivers should come across unique tracks and unique challenges-high speed tracks, slow speed tracks, tight courses, flowing courses, undulating courses, flat courses etc, whether it turn left, right or both.

The indycar series has the best mixture of track challenges of any series IMO, it has everything. that's it's biggest plus, whether it be a floundering series or not.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a better idea. Just eliminate the ovals altogether and then there is no need for the dichotomous podium.

BZ

The war is over. In a true diverse series real drivers have to learn both disciplines. The have this other series that might be more suited to your tastes (although you might have to hold your nose to avoid the political stench, it's called Formula One.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Or we could just eliminate ridiculous "podiums" and the Euro-centric form of racing/culture that has made most of America yawn and turn the channel (if they even get the channel).

In a true American auto race, drivers turn left. Only in American club racing do they turn right too.
    The war is over. In a true diverse series real drivers have to learn both disciplines. The have this other series that might be more suited to your tastes it's called World of Outlaws Sprint Cars.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BZ
    You mean to shut down the 500 and close the garage doors for good? Or maybe "LongBeachCar" has the ring that will really save the series. Without the 500 - there is no IndyCar - and no podiums at all...