Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    I doubt such a lawsuit would work. If it did, it would have been done decades ago against newspapers or tv networks and cars would now have disclaimers on them.
    What, like this?

Which appears all over the car, team clothing, overalls and merchandise for the 07 Jack Daniels NASCAR of Richard Childress Racing/Clint Bowyer

Pace Yourself. Drink Responsibly.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've got it! One car in each team could carry the tobacco branding and the second car could be covered with the disclaimers! Park them side-by-side and the legal people would be happy.

Better yet, bring back the BAR "zipper" livery - half a car tobacco ads and half disclaimers!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    I wonder what are the people working in the tobacco industry like. They are after all, indirectly killing other people. Or making it more likely to put it more PC.
    just like the gun companies, the bullet manufacturers, the weapons industry, the liquor and beverage companies, the sun tan lotion folks, the computer monitor industry, all food restaurants and pizza joints that over saturated foods with trans fats, glue companies, paint companies, Johnson & Johnson, Proctor& Gamble for all their chemical based products, soda companies with their high fructose beverages, etc, etc, etc, it will never end all these companies produce some sort of product that might cause cancer or be detrimental to your health, with the exception of the multi billion dollar weapons industry, all these companies offer products by consumers choice, yes advertising plays a role, but not in the sense of car liveries and association to a particular vehicle.

I think cigarette companies don't advertise during the telecast, don't run constant images of happy people sitting around smoking ( ala Joe Camel days) and most people simply look at the cars as some sort of fancy livery than affirmations and seductions for them to go smoke. To me it was a huge waste of money by the cigarette companies that the F1 teams were only too happy to oblige. I don't see a huge swell of Panasonics being sold, new ING accounts opened, more PETRONAS oil being consumed, Royal Bank of Scotland assets going through the roof. These livery advertising were about a companies own vanity nothing more.

I am by no means a cigarette smoker and find the practice foolhardy. But they are a convenient lynch pin for politicians. Drunk driving and Alcohol related deaths, murders, sickness far far out way cigarette smoking. But yet you would see their products branded everywhere and running highly suggestive ads on TV and primarily during sporting events. Heck, they are even being sold at the sporting events, from high school football. to the super bowl and every major sporting event. I guess their lobbying group is more influential than the cigarette consortium. .. and let's not talk about the pharmaceutical industry.

The argument holds true in general society, but in terms of motorsports, that kind of vanity advertising has a minimal impact on their bottom line.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well put
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)