Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage
    Right now she's another back marker - and we haven't gotten to an oval yet - so let's wait to annoint her as our savior.
    Quote Originally Posted by bzcam
    Give it up Vintage, the personality worship on this board transcends any interest in the actual racing that takes place on the track. Simona will be the new hero of the message boards after the first time she poses in a bikini for Maxxim or does some lame commercial for Go Daddy.

BZ

Are both of you that jaded that you think that just because someone shows interest in an new up and coming driver who has show some real talent that they think this new driver is a "savior" or its "personality worship". Please site a post from this board that even comes close to that sort of ridiculousness. Much of the discussion of Simona here has actually been about her abilities as a racer.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now she's another backmarker - and we haven't gotten to an oval yet - so let's wait to annoint her as our savior.
    shes not really in the best equipment also with the likes of the others, shes with a first year team as well

I'd say shes been doing well but has made several rookie mistakes.
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    shes not really in the best equipment also with the likes of the others, shes with a first year team as well

I'd say shes been doing well but has made several rookie mistakes.
    She's really only made 1 signifcant rookie mistake, at Barber. I don't know what her pit in and pit out times are but she loses multiple places on every single pit stop. As for on track, she is regularly easily able to keep pace with her group. She's never held up a pack or anything like that. By all accounts, including Dario's, she has been super impressive. She's a rookie on the 2nd or 3rd lowest budget team with 1 car. Her ability in a racecar is very impressive and I would suggest she'll be getting calls from higher level teams in the future. This is no novelty act, this is a pure race car driver.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Are both of you that jaded that you think that just because someone shows interest in an new up and coming driver who has show some real talent that they think this new driver is a "savior" or its "personality worship". Please site a post from this board that even comes close to that sort of ridiculousness. Much of the discussion of Simona here has actually been about her abilities as a racer.

Gary

Really? OK, so where is the Bertrand Baguette thread? the Mike Conway thread? the Alex Lloyd thread? Or, better yet, where is the Graham Rahal needs a full time ride thread? Milka has had her own, everyone loves Sarah, everyone (well almost everyone) loves to hate Danica, now the new chick comes along and gets her own as well. I have no dobut that it Ana Beatriz gets another ride she'll be on the radar here too. Tell me its about the driving.

And, I'm actually not jaded at all. I like indycar enough to watch it every race without fail and even to come here to see what people are saying about it.

BZ

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzcam
    Really? OK, so where is the Bertrand Baguette thread? the Mike Conway thread? the Alex Lloyd thread? Or, better yet, where is the Graham Rahal needs a full time ride thread? Milka has had her own, everyone loves Sarah, everyone (well almost everyone) loves to hate Danica, now the new chick comes along and gets her own as well. I have no dobut that it Ana Beatriz gets another ride she'll be on the radar here too. Tell me its about the driving.

And, I'm actually not jaded at all. I like indycar enough to watch it every race without fail and even to come here to see what people are saying about it.

BZ
    BZ, I guess you missed the Rahal needs a ride thread. As for Conway and Lloyd, I know we talked about Lloyd last year. Maybe Conway needs some love. I think he is a lot better than we have talked about.

That said, Simona gets attention on this board because of all the BS and Sizzle without steak that is Danica.

That video of Simone with the marker shows you just how well her spatial functioning and memory is. THAT was scary impressive.....

Either that...or she had a hole in the blindfold...lol

Simona has done alright. She has the right attitude and isn't about the sizzle.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Simona is the real deal. I have followed her for years since I first met her at a F-BMW test.
    I Talked with her again earlier this year at HMS where the IRL made her run a Lites car to get some oval seat time. She quickly came up to speed and actually posted better times than other Lites drivers who had oval experience.

She is smart and very personable. She is also soft spoken and demure. Don't expect her in Maxim anytime soon. Too bad. I personally find her more attractive than Danica.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Right now she's another backmarker -
    That 'backmarker' legitimately lead the pack & held off a challenge from Dario in her first ever race.

That 'backmarker' was inline for a top 10 finish until she was spun round by Rahal.

That backmarker has consistanly posted top 5 runs in practice sessions, including a number of P1's.

Whilst reserving overall judgement, it is unquestionable that Simona brings to indy car something that several other drivers do not.. besides multiple race wins in her rise, she brings a genuinely pleasant personality with few airs & graces. She is eloquent & engaging. I also highly doubt she'll lower herself to scantily clad glamour shots in order to get publicity, heck judging from the rising press she has already started to garner for her ontrack actions, she wouldn't really need to. She'll let her racing grab the attention.

She has already shown an ability to set up her car, converse with her engineer, accept 'bad luck' with dignity, was gracious when she made the rookie error, & most of all hangs it out there & is unafraid or intimidated by the established old guard.

I have been impressed with her in her first races in the big cars, as I was in Atlantics.

Her results belie the actual picture.. she isn't a backmarker driver by any stretch of the imagination.. She's still a young rookie, but is a very exciting & promising one, imho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    She has only been in the front because of pit strategy - never on speed. Both Brazil and Barber were because a large bunch of cars pitted and she didn't.

I am not saying she isn't talented, but that overall, that remains to be seem until we see how she does on the ovals.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    She has only been in the front because of pit strategy - never on speed. Both Brazil and Barber were because a large bunch of cars pitted and she didn't.
    *sigh* Wow, someone will always find some reason to slate a driver & deny any credit when it is due... So answer this then Sherlock, she has consistantly been up top in practice & desperately close to advancing in qualis.. le'me guess, that was only through strategy?, raw speed & ability to keep it on the island had nothing to do with it? *raising eyebrow*

The driver has speed & talent. If you either cannot, nor want to see that, then that's fine, that's your choice.. but I'm with the majority on this one, including the other drivers, team personnel & racing media who think differently than you

BTW, nice quick amendment at the bottom of your initial post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    That video of Simone with the marker shows you just how well her spatial functioning and memory is. THAT was scary impressive.....
    Tags did a pretty good job with that too - too bad he had a crappy car for the race.

BZ