Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The future of the WRC (my vision)

Lets face it, the WRC has seen better years. This is my idea of making things good again.

In my view, WRC cars should be bigger(around the same size as an Audi Quattro), 2.5 litre engine, generating around 380-400 bhp. Control specification sequential gearbox, no electronic driving aids and an open tyre formula. Only 10 examples of the car used would have to be produced, encouraging more innovate designs. This effectively makes the car a combination of Group B, Group S and Super 2000. With car safety more sophisticated than back in the 80's, cars would be more exciting to watch and as safe as today's current WRC cars

I would have around 10 events, 2 of which would be 2 week long cross country raids.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    you have some very good ideas there....very cheap also.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cheers for your response. I would also ditch the useless and greedy North One sport as promoter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech3
    Lets face it, the WRC has seen better years. This is my idea of making things good again.

In my view, WRC cars should be bigger(around the same size as an Audi Quattro), 2.5 litre engine, generating around 380-400 bhp. Control specification sequential gearbox, no electronic driving aids and an open tyre formula. Only 10 examples of the car used would have to be produced, encouraging more innovate designs. This effectively makes the car a combination of Group B, Group S and Super 2000. With car safety more sophisticated than back in the 80's, cars would be more exciting to watch and as safe as today's current WRC cars

I would have around 10 events, 2 of which would be 2 week long cross country raids.
    looks to me like a formula, that would not attract a single manufacturer.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    I like it.. What about greedy guys who wants to sell their cars for 500 000GBP + vat (10 is not enough for them)?

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    Nice ideas but you cant limit it to making 10 cars because by that you would kill priveteer competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Visually and technically I like it but I dont think manufacturers will go for it.

Personally, Id like a formula that is basically Group N.
    Ie. Take any car, turbo charge the stock engine, add a front mount inter cooler, use a control ECU (ie. Motec/Autronic), add roll cage, add dampers and bolt on suspension modifications and add required safety gear.
    As for drive line teams can choose to use a mixture of stock components, off the shelf after market parts, and or an array specifically developed parts as described by the FIA (like how S2000 cars use a common drive line).

One thing to emphasize that the strength of components can only be increased by re-enforcing a stock component rather than redesigning a new component specifically for rallying. The trade off is extra weight from reinforced components adds weight to the car and lessens performance.
    The end result is a battle for teams to find a balance between reliability and outright speed.

I dont see how any manufacturer could not have a competative car for under AU $200,000, if not less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grugsticles
    Personally, Id like a formula that is basically Group N.
    Ie. Take any car, turbo charge the stock engine, add a front mount inter cooler, use a control ECU (ie. Motec/Autronic), add roll cage, add dampers and bolt on suspension modifications and add required safety gear.
    I dont see how any manufacturer could not have a competative car for under AU $200,000, if not less.
    That's exactly the direction I'd like best... I want to see production derived vehicles, not purpose-built cars. What is the point of calling it a Focus or C4 if its nothing remotely like the actual vehicle?

If they were cheaper and closer to production vehicles we could see a lot more competitive privateers in the WRC. Mostly running in a wrx or evo, but maybe even a TTS quattro, or a 997 on tarmac.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serial jeff
    That's exactly the direction I'd like best... I want to see production derived vehicles, not purpose-built cars. What is the point of calling it a Focus or C4 if its nothing remotely like the actual vehicle?

If they were cheaper and closer to production vehicles we could see a lot more competitive privateers in the WRC. Mostly running in a wrx or evo, but maybe even a TTS quattro, or a 997 on tarmac.
    actually i'd like the opposite. This is the WRC the pinnacle championship
    of rallying. If i want to see some standard cars i'll go watch a local rally.

For the world championship i would like to see purpose built cars
    like Grp A or WRC cars. They are appealing to me because they are advanced cars that are fast and powerful without being as extreme as the GrpB cars.

If i would put the effort, time and money on attending a wrc rally i would like to get good value in return.
    And grp N (and to some extent <=S2k) cars alone wont give me that value.

IMO all this simplification and cost saving just devaluates the
    World Rally Championship from a pinnacle to some standard b-series.

Its like FIA would transform F1 to GP2/3 standards.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of the disappointing things I see about the WRC is that the cars are so fragile these days.

Once upon a time, drivers could have a rollover, push the car back on it's wheels and keep going.

I have a photo on my wall of Sainz's car on it's side (from 2004?) - the text below it says that he finished the event on the podium. Compare that to Hirvonen's experience in Jordan rally.

Longer, harder stages and more robust cars would make the competition more interesting (but less close).