Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts

Single engine per season

New idea by Morrie Chandler to save costs
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82349

"There's no point in us saying every engine has a one-year life, we can't police this outside of the WRC. The solution in my mind is that we have to make the World Rally Championship so affordable that that's where people go and those who don't care about money can go elsewhere and have a new engine for every rally. That way, they're not going to damage our sport, and our sport will be available to those who have more limited funds, but they have the skills."
    "Everything is possible with an engine," said Loriaux. "The engine in your road car will last 200,000 miles, so, yes, we can make a competition engine that will last a season. But the costs will be very high.
    Huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1st impression = very bad idea.
    I can understand the idea in wanting to reduce costs, but forcing competitors to use a single engine will leave non manufacturer entires struggling with the reliability/power balance more so than the do now.

Also, what happens in a freak situation where an object might either enter the air intake and cause internal damage or a rock through the sump/block?

IMO, engine's shouldn't be the specialized build they are now.
    You should take a standard block, and then spend a pre-defined amount to get power out of it.
    Let say, $30,000 Australian Dollars.
    If I were to be given $30,000 to build an engine with a car I know (Subaru) I could quite happy churn out something capable of producing 400kw atw (assuming I had the supporting hardware to suit).
    Obviously things like reliability then come into the equation so Id be quite comfortable that said engine could withstand 300kw atw day in, day out which is more than enough power for a WRC car.
    So, if a backyard mechanic could do it, why couldn't a professional racing/rallying team?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From what I've read in Autosport Mr C is fighting a losing battle agianst the FIA who appear to be undermining him. Perhaps Citroen have the ear of JT?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    imo this cost saving things is starting to get ridiculous.

Look at the WTCC which have been running the cheap S2k cars for many seasons now, how many factory teams are there in WTCC?
    There's Chevrolet and BMW and ???

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    There is a a difference between value for money and costs...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    RS makes a good point. Why don't we cut costs by just not having rallies?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    What is the point in that?

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    RS makes a good point. Why don't we cut costs by just not having rallies?
    Hey, there's an idea........

I mean with only 2 Manufacturers and 4 works seats - it's hardly worth winning, is it??

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One engine?!

Oh, wait. Chandler was being serious.

Sure, let's cut costs, by increasing costs to conduct the proper research on making an engine last 1 whole season. At the same time we can add snipers to different stages to see if they can shoot out the cars' tires and make rallying more interesting.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Let's back the truck up a little.

Firstly, nowhere in the report does it say that this was Chandler's idea, only that he believes it to be feasible. And it is certainly that.

Whether it is entirely practical or workable I guess is something that they'll workout.
    With the advent of the new motor for WRC, and the development that'll be necessary, there's no better time to explore such a concept.

We all agree that the way to get more manufacturers into the championship is to reduce cost. In the quest to find ways to lessen cost many ideas, some radical and even ridiculous, will be offered and discussed.

Without ideas we get no progress.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.