Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    What has Cotman to say? He isn't with the IRL anymore.

It will be interesting to see who will be the other committee members. I wonder how they can ever form a committee that is unbiased. There is at least one member who will vote for the Delta Wing no matter what. The other members could be chosen in a way to "steer" the decision in favour or against the DW.
    You really think Cotman's opinion won't be taken? You think he has NO say in anything? He isn't on the payroll, but believe me, his opinion will be courted in an informal way because he is in the loop of what is going on.

I think all the committee members will have an idea on where everyone is coming from but when things are hashed out, aired and discussed, the truth will be evident for all but the blind to see on what they need to do. I know that in the end, the only way to satisfy most of the goals they have set out will involve writing a set of rules that can allow for numerous options. The company that jumps in first likely will sew up a lot of business and make money and THAT will probably force the other companies to make some decisions that may not make them money for a while. That said, if you want to compete, the IRL will be open.

I think we may end up with maybe one chassis for a while even under the new rules, but as long as that door is never shut or even put on the hinges, then other companies and other options are always available, and teams would be allowed to develop the car within the rules to a degree they are NOT now. I think THAT option is what we are missing in today's rules regime.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Seriously the more I hear about Randy Bernard the more I'm impressed. I think he is poised to take the sport forward in ways Tony George never could.
    That is low hanging fruit MDS...Tony didn't understand marketing. He hired Gene Simmons, who the last I looked, was a legend in his own mind, and the only thing he has marketed really successfully was KISS and himself.

Bernard took a politically incorrect rodeo offshoot and put it on ESPN and drove it's audience into places never conteplated in less than 10 years. If he can do that with bull riding, he can do some good with the IRL. How good is the question we have to wait on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    General Looney is chairing the 'advisory' committee. He's not making any decisions but merely making recommendations to Bernard once all parties have made their case. I too am liking what I've seen from Bernard in his very brief tenure. If he can do just a fraction for the IICS as he's done with the PBR things are definitely going to be getting better. For the first time since about 1997 I actually have some faith in the leadership of open-wheel racing.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wish him well but i have heard or seen nothing different from Bernard that I haven't seen or heard before by the head of either series.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Give the man a chance and the General too.
    Hopefully the General can wade through the inevitable BS and the committee will make an informed decision. The General's job will be to keep everyone on track and open minded. To get where he is indicates he probably can do that. His actual knowledge of IC racing is immaterial.
    Bernard's choice there shows some 'out of the box' thinking.
    I would hope Bernard is smart enough, and indications are he is, he will look at previous failures and try and figure out where they went wrong.
    Talking to people like Bernie Ecclestone, Scott Atheron, Humpty Wheeler and the NASCAR powers that be would be smart. People like Tony Stewart are also good promoters as well.
    Note talking to. Then sort out the BS from good advice.
    The mess that is Indy Car is not going to be fixed overnight or even in just a year or two.
    Steer clear of Gentalozi and SCCA!
    I think most of us agree that Indy Car needs a better TV package but that is almost the chicken and egg discussion. You need a good package to get network coverage but you almost need network coverage to get a good package.
    From a Cdn. point of view the IC deal with TSN sucks. Almost all races are on TSN2 with very limited viewers. Yet IC probably has a better per capita interest in Canada than in the US. There just ain't that many of us up here in the frozen north!!!!!
    The man has only been in charge for a few weeks. He will still be, and for some time, assessing the people running IC based on his knowledge of what works and what doesn't.
    A year from now we may be able to see if he is succeeding.
    Remember it took years for the France's and Bernie to build their empires.
    It also took several years for Tony to put us in this mess!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I wish him well but i have heard or seen nothing different from Bernard that I haven't seen or heard before by the head of either series.
    It is your boundless optimism I so admire....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Of course not. We wouldn't expect anything less from such a self-important guy like yourself.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well of course you haven't. I don't believe anyone here expects anything credibly informative or positive from you any way.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan
    Well of course you haven't. I don't believe anyone here expects anything credibly informative or positive from you any way.
    I use to offer suggestions for improving the sport but tired of listening to those who worship at the doors of the IMS call me every name in the book.

I have a question for those who are so excited.

What has he done or utter to make you think that the series will turn around? Aside from forming a committee(Which many of his predecessors had done they just didn't announce it with huge fanfare) what decisions or ideas has he expressed that makes you so positive?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I use to offer suggestions for improving the sport but tired of listening to those who worship at the doors of the IMS call me every name in the book.
    Funny how you get called every name in the book so often, isn't it?