Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts

General Looney on the chassis committee

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...-chassis-jury/

Looney equates the role more as unbiased facilitator, which is why Indy Racing League CEO Randy Bernard sought him out to chair the committee that will be comprised of a league representative, a team owner elected by vote of all owners, an engine expert, a marketer/promoter and a racing engineer.
    So what do you think about this idea?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada

I like what I've read of it. Glad that sort of an outsider has been appointed to head the committee. Especially somebody of the logic required to become a general. My only hope is that the manufacturers all submit proposals allowing multiple entities to supply. I think we all want that to a man as fans.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    I like what I've read of it. Glad that sort of an outsider has been appointed to head the committee. Especially somebody of the logic required to become a general. My only hope is that the manufacturers all submit proposals allowing multiple entities to supply. I think we all want that to a man as fans.

Well the man being a former fighter pilot and involved in the procurement system for fighters, he has a technical background. Unlike Bernard, he will grasp a lot of the reasons why things are done in the industry from a knowledge base. HE however seems very dedicated to Bernard.

Interesting, on that link, I followed the link to Bernard's interview with the St. Pete's Times. More confirmation in my mind that Randy Bernard doesn't make decisions based on anything but adding value for the fans, and listening to the customer. He is talking of dumping the two bottom events and putting more onus on promoters to provide value. That may be a bad idea in the eyes of some, but lets see how it shakes out.

All in all, Bernard so far seems to understand his limitations without letting them stifle him. Looney's appointment to head the tech committee gets around his lack of experience with the technical side. Creative problem solving eh?
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    All in all, Bernard so far seems to understand his limitations without letting them stifle him. Looney's appointment to head the tech committee gets around his lack of experience with the technical side. Creative problem solving eh?
    I do appreciate Bernard and realizing his limits. He is delegating as he needs to until he learns more about the sport.

He is doing more in less then a month than was done in the last couple years.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So the future of the IRL is in the hands of a Looney?

You can't make this stuff up!

Ok Jokes aside. With all due respect to the General but the head of the committee is somebody who has ZERO experience in the entertainment industry, achieved an upper management position in an organization that never had to turn a profit and is notorious for budget overruns.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada

I thinks its "looney"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop

Ok Jokes aside. With all due respect to the General but the head of the committee is somebody who has ZERO experience in the entertainment industry, achieved an upper management position in an organization that never had to turn a profit and is notorious for budget overruns.

General LOONEY has the perfect name to be involved in Indy Car Racing.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop

For picking a race car, I don't want a guy looking at the entertainment industry. As for your criticism's about cost overruns and the like, remember, as a military man, what it cost wasn't his dept. THAT was the civilians in the Pentagon and Congress screwing that up. What Looney will do is listen to people, be intelligent enough and versed enough on safety and production issues to know when he is being BSed or not, and make sure all options are explored. HE is an advisor and chair...the committee from the sounds of it will be team owners, drivers, and other stakeholders. He is chairing it, and reporting back to Bernard. When you get right down to it, Barnhart and Cotman will probably have as much if not more say anyhow...that isn't going to change.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    For picking a race car, I don't want a guy looking at the entertainment industry. As for your criticism's about cost overruns and the like, remember, as a military man, what it cost wasn't his dept. THAT was the civilians in the Pentagon and Congress screwing that up. What Looney will do is listen to people, be intelligent enough and versed enough on safety and production issues to know when he is being BSed or not, and make sure all options are explored. HE is an advisor and chair...the committee from the sounds of it will be team owners, drivers, and other stakeholders. He is chairing it, and reporting back to Bernard. When you get right down to it, Barnhart and Cotman will probably have as much if not more say anyhow...that isn't going to change.
    What has Cotman to say? He isn't with the IRL anymore.

It will be interesting to see who will be the other committee members. I wonder how they can ever form a committee that is unbiased. There is at least one member who will vote for the Delta Wing no matter what. The other members could be chosen in a way to "steer" the decision in favour or against the DW.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seriously the more I hear about Randy Bernard the more I'm impressed. I think he is poised to take the sport forward in ways Tony George never could.