Page 92 of 102 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Can't believe Mikko is contracted to 2012, they should leave the contact open. Givehim some incentive to drive!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think that we should eb too quick to write off Mikko and Jari-Matti. If Ford ditch them in 2013, who would they use to replace them on the current grid? I think that if they put Tanak in too early it could ruin his career as he may not have the maturity yet (as Jari has shown in previous years). I read Prokop also has a similar deal to Tanak but I don't think he is ready yet either. It only leaves Sordo, Ostberg and maybe Haninnen. I don't think any of them are likley possibilities. Mikko has won 13 rallies with Ford and I think that fact does at least deserve some respect.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9
    I don't think that we should eb too quick to write off Mikko and Jari-Matti. If Ford ditch them in 2013, who would they use to replace them on the current grid? I think that if they put Tanak in too early it could ruin his career as he may not have the maturity yet (as Jari has shown in previous years). I read Prokop also has a similar deal to Tanak but I don't think he is ready yet either. It only leaves Sordo, Ostberg and maybe Haninnen. I don't think any of them are likley possibilities. Mikko has won 13 rallies with Ford and I think that fact does at least deserve some respect.
    Good points there. I think that Ford just don't have any better choices for their line-up. J-M is the only driver around who can match Loeb and Ogier's speed quite consistently. Petter could be a choice but goddammit, he hasn't won a event almost in 6 years! True that he has been with Subaru and with privateer teams in recent years but he hasn't convinced me anymore. In every rally "something always comes up" what lacks his speed.

Some young-gun deal would have been too risky for Ford because there isn't actually any privateers who has showed some very good speed at the top level consistently. Ostberg did it in Sweden, but that's a very unique event. One must remember what Hirvonen did in 2005 that led partly to his factory-seat in 2006. He showed some serious speed with a privateer car (ex- Jari Viita, was it 03-spec Focus?) in Sardinia and Greece, where he led the event briefly, and finally good speed at Catalunya on tarmac. And the competition was much more fierce back then because of the number of the drivers and teams. I recent years there hasn't been that kind of performance from any privateer (except Petter).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by julkki
    Good points there. I think that Ford just don't have any better choices for their line-up. J-M is the only driver around who can match Loeb and Ogier's speed quite consistently. Petter could be a choice but goddammit, he hasn't won a event almost in 6 years! True that he has been with Subaru and with privateer teams in recent years but he hasn't convinced me anymore. In every rally "something always comes up" what lacks his speed.

Some young-gun deal would have been too risky for Ford because there isn't actually any privateers who has showed some very good speed at the top level consistently. Ostberg did it in Sweden, but that's a very unique event. One must remember what Hirvonen did in 2005 that led partly to his factory-seat in 2006. He showed some serious speed with a privateer car (ex- Jari Viita, was it 03-spec Focus?) in Sardinia and Greece, where he led the event briefly, and finally good speed at Catalunya on tarmac. And the competition was much more fierce back then because of the number of the drivers and teams. I recent years there hasn't been that kind of performance from any privateer (except Petter).
    +1 I agree.

With Petter I think that there may be some bad blood with Ford's management regarding his exit there are entry into the Subaru team. I'm not sure Wilson has forgiven him for that.

I am sure JML will be champion very soon and actually would have been last year if Loeb was not there. I see a similarity between Hirvonen and Burns, they are both smooth drivers that did not get a title until the dominant drivers moved on. As Burns didnt get a title until McRae and Makkinen went off the pace a bit, so it will be for Hirvonen when Loeb moves on.

What do you think of Ford's performace in the WRC overall? I am shocked that they have not had a title since 1979!!! I remeber thinking McRae or Sainz, Martin would get them as they had fast cars but it never seemed to work out for them.

Liked 1,254 Times in 682 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9
    +1 I agree.

What do you think of Ford's performace in the WRC overall? I am shocked that they have not had a title since 1979!!! I remember thinking McRae or Sainz, Martin would get them as they had fast cars but it never seemed to work out for them.
    Pretty poor, if you're being honest! Okay, so they've had 2 Manufacturers Title - but for not one single drivers Title, well draw your own conclusions. However, if Ford are happy - well, that maybe somes up their attitude to Motorsport.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Pretty poor, if you're being honest! Okay, so they've had 2 Manufacturers Title - but for not one single drivers Title, well draw your own conclusions. However, if Ford are happy - well, that maybe somes up their attitude to Motorsport.
    Malcolm Wilson has said many times that Manufacturers title is their primary goal and the drivers seems to adapt that mentality. But I don't know which is better for the manufacturer in the end...I think that driver's title gives more publicity to the manufacturer than the manufacturers title.

Liked 846 Times in 391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by julkki
    Malcolm Wilson has said many times that Manufacturers title is their primary goal and the drivers seems to adapt that mentality. But I don't know which is better for the manufacturer in the end...I think that driver's title gives more publicity to the manufacturer than the manufacturers title.
    I think that the major goal for a team is (and should be) the manufacturers title, not the driver title... when Ford won the title in 2006 and 2007 I saw their commercial on TV, same thing about Peugeot winning the IRC title. I don't think they'll never say "world driver champion" about a car, because someone could think "ok, driver champion but not manufacturers champion, so it's not the best car"

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    What the hell kinda crap is that?! That's the most stupid thing i've seen.

"Hey, lets make a comp for roof design, hey guys what's your favourite food? We'll put it on the roofs!"
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1
    What the hell kinda crap is that?! That's the most stupid thing i've seen.

"Hey, lets make a comp for roof design, hey guys what's your favourite food? We'll put it on the roofs!"
    They did it here some years ago in Belgium for the Ypres rally. Classes of +- 10 year olds entered a competition to make the niciest livery for Freddy Loix half of the car would be in the best livery of the Dutch part of Belgium and the other of the French Part.