Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Certainly couldn't hurt.

But I think what PT has said is that the sponsors he has or has talked to, would rather be on ABC. So, this deal means nothing to them.

Plus its going to have to be a big improvement in ratings, whether its Versus or ABC, to get sponsors interested. The ratings were horrible, even when Versus was on Direct TV last year.
    Actually, PT told me they were scared of the DirecTV problem. He said if DirecTV got sorted out in time, he could probably get a sponsor he was chasing to sign on.

This was about 3 months ago, so I doubt it will still happen for PT.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree VS still has significant rating hurdles to overcome, but getting Direct TV back was more than just a hurdle, it was a basic requirement to even have a chance at future ratings success. And I wouldn't pat IndyCar on the back too much for this agreement. Who knows what's been happening behind the scenes, but I don't think it's a coincidence that for the first time ever this weekend UFC will be live on VS. Normally the fights are a $40+ PPV event. UFC and VS want to maximize that events ratings potential, it may very well be the biggest event in the channel's history. Regardless of the reason though, it's good that this deal was finally made.

The card for anyone interested:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Even....home&eid=2766

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    I agree VS still has significant rating hurdles to overcome, but getting Direct TV back was more than just a hurdle, it was a basic requirement to even have a chance at future ratings success. And I wouldn't pat IndyCar on the back too much for this agreement. Who knows what's been happening behind the scenes, but I don't think it's a coincidence that for the first time ever this weekend UFC will be live on VS. Normally the fights are a $40+ PPV event. UFC and VS want to maximize that events ratings potential, it may very well be the biggest event in the channel's history. Regardless of the reason though, it's good that this deal was finally made.

The card for anyone interested:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Even....home&eid=2766
    It is too bad we couldn't use this as a lead in or we could be the lead in for it.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Scott, as I said to Ken last year, we all know the ratings are going to suck. All we can hope for is to have the best racing on the track and slowly rebuild the brand. An exciting race or two when they are on ABC/ESPN would be nice, and an unusual Indy 500 would help as well.

The IRL is now like the NHL is with hockey. They have a brand following in a sport dominated by "Foreigners" that is loved selectively by a small but vocal band of fans and it is looking for network love and acceptance. One event a year gets ratings attention, and the rest suffer.

It is an ugly place, but survival will be the watch word.
    With all due respect Mark, that's not a completely accurate analogy. Unlike IRL teams, NHL teams do have a source of revenue- ticket sales (and probably concessions), local TV and sponsorship. I think the whole of the IRL would kill for the kind of revenue that top NHL franchises have. So I don't think the NHL on Versus is as big of a "problem" for them as it is for the IRL.

The IRL's biggest (and IMO most pressing) problem is getting new fans. This seems to be a shrinking base in North America. The NHL definitely does not have that problem. Many kids take up the sport each year. Those are new and instant fans (if not already) that will have a lifelong affinity for the sport. Having the US and Canadian teams in the gold medal games are huge plus for the NHL.

What does the IRL have to grow it's fan base? Not much at the moment.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I almost crapped myself when I went into my DVR list and THE RACE WAS BEING RECORDED, WOOO!!!!!!!!

Thank God I kept Versus IndyCar races on my recording list
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, it's a problem "solved", the IRL can't say that very often these days. Now, we go work on the rest of the..... challenges.
    There is no substitute...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seriously the ICS is gaining some momentum, it looks like we have a minimum 20 full time cars, a series sponsor, the television deal is the best it can get for the moment, and Danica has reached new heights of popularity/name recognition. All that has to happen now is for people to watch, because right now everything that could be going right is going right.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And Bernard's hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Seriously the ICS is gaining some momentum, it looks like we have a minimum 20 full time cars, a series sponsor, the television deal is the best it can get for the moment, and Danica has reached new heights of popularity/name recognition. All that has to happen now is for people to watch, because right now everything that could be going right is going right.
    I was not so keen on the guy, but he has been impressive. There is a lot less snobbery and politics, and he has the "just get it done" attitude.

Aside from KK's rent-a-ride team, some impressive things going on. Now lets get those ratings up!

Bernard gets the fact that the fans are smarter than they have been given credit. Interesting discussion by one team owner about Milka paying to be the starting QB for the Colts, and the backlash that would create though Irsay would never let it happen. Many of the teams have been told to "up the ante", so to speak.

He certainly gets some credit and deserves support. He still has some hurdles ahead, and I believe he has the energy to get things done.
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    A day late, but back on the air today.
    Duly noted,and I watched the re-air last night. A little choppy looking, but racing none the less
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ