Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    because we dont have a moderator that checks the forums from time to time
    Harv, c'mon....Cut him some slack, OK? If it was any other mod around here doing that I would agree 1000000% .....But he's been sick as a dog caught in post experimental hell for a long time now, on top of having periodic computer problems.

Heck...I'll be honest...even if I had the power to lock the thread, I wouldn't have. I made my feelings clear with my first post,then moved on.....

I had hoped others would have followed me back to the orginal thread (some did, some didn't)
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley

1. So when a car gets into the crowd because of some stupid on track rivalry - what then? Seriously, if Keselowski's car had made it into the crowd would that still have been an acceptable move on Edwards' part?

2. It's so sad that a NASCAR drivers' skill set has to include bumping drivers out of the way.

1. Not defending Edwards actions at all. He was wrong in this deal. He certainly wasn't intending to get BK into the catch fence. He was just trying to turn him and spin him into the infield. If he would have, the other 40 drivers in the race would have probably gotten out of their cars and applauded.

Maybe in hindsight, he should have just waited until Bristol and punted him there. But I think the fact that BK was on his way (most likely) to a top 5 finish, helped make Carl's mind up for him.

Nobody wants to see cars get into the air and yes, it could have been a bad, bad deal for a lot of folks today. But the retaliation from Carl today, was very justified. BK had gotten Carl more then a few times the past few years and today, BK got his. The way things are done in NASCAR, that will probably be the end of this thing. Both have made their points and this dispute should end (for a while). No whining in the press or stomping down the pit lane to put on a show for the fans and pretend to fight. Take care of your business on the track and be done with it.

2. That "skill set" only applies at a few tracks. You touch in NASCAR at most places, and big wrecks happen (like today at the end of the race). Bumping and grinding has always been a part of stock car racing and always will. Its part of the reason (along with having drivers people care about) stock car racing is so popular.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So when a car gets into the crowd because of some stupid on track rivalry - what then? Seriously, if Keselowski's car had made it into the crowd would that still have been an acceptable move on Edwards' part? I just don't get it I'm afraid. In my old fasioned book, teaching a lesson would involve being faster than the other driver. What a quaint notion. I know I don't have to watch (and I don't generally, except the road races) but do you guys really think this is the way to go motor racing? It's so sad that a NASCAR drivers' skill set has to include bumping drivers out of the way. Anyone can do that. I'd rather finish second in fair fight that first by pushing my way to a win. Sportsmanship is not in the NASCAR vocabulary. How's that for a thread locker? - NASCAR want this kind of behaviour as it improves the 'show'. It's a soap opera every weekend. That's all it is.
    Boo hoo hoo
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If a car gets in to the crowd, it is the fault of the sanctioning body, and track ownership.

When you build tracks where 190 to 200mph is reachable, and then put an upside down airplane wing on the back of the cars, it follows that cars are going to get airborne.

As to Carl punting Brad.....Punts have been part and parcel of stock car racing since it's inception, as have paybacks. If you don't like it, I don't have a problem with that in and of itself. But please don't try to turn stock car racing in to a gentlemen's sport. It's not and never has been.
    "He had the talent to be a champion, if only he weren't so stubborn." Harry Hyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only thing I'm disgusted by is the fact that people are actually defending Edwards here. The guy is a jerk and in any other race series his license would have been ripped up long before now. The only thing Keslowski is guilty of is planting his wheels on the yellow line and then refusing to give way when someone else moves down on him. Obviously Edwards didn't expect him to go airborn but the fact remains that someone of his experience should know better than to turn someone around at 190mph+ Nascar need to come down on him and come down hard before someone gets killed or seriously injured.
    "Inside every fat person is a thin person dying for some chocolate."

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    What an idiot. NASCAR should come down on him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    LOL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, so I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I just caught the accident between Edwards and Keselowski. I have to say I'm totally disgusted by this kind of driving. It seems that this is acceptable in this branch of motor sport and I'm at a total loss to understand why. How long do we have to wait before a driver is killed, or even worse spectators? If this behavior is allowed to continue then I'm afraid it is just a matter of time. Making the excuse that one driver did this or that to justify wrecking another car is never acceptable.

What is equally worrying to me is that this crass driving is making its way down to the lower levels, and young kids starting out in, for example Legends cars start to believe that the front bumper is a substitute for talent.

This is one of the reasons why this series is 'entertainment' and not motor sport. Very Sad.
    Hush, I think you will find Formula 1 has more guilt when it comes to spectators being hurt and killed. Watch a whole race, not just one talking point.
    - :spinhead: Oh he turned him !!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Weird. I thought the drivers settling themselves was the way to go. So now Carl does it, and he gets a trip to the wood shed. First off, Brad is obviously a jerk out there, although when it was just Denny Hamlin spinning him out, everyone had a big laugh about it. When one of the "good guys" goes postal and puts him on his lid, now all the sudden it is a BIG deal....

NASCAR loves this, because we are talking about it, and Bruton Smith loves it because it was a wild day at one his tracks. The only two guys not liking it are Keselowski and Edwards. I am sure Carl would rather be on the lead lap, and not in the NASCAR hauler for for putting Brad on his lid. Should have waited for Bristol or Martinsville Carl. 190mph is too fast to be spinning people out.....

NASCAR wanted guys to settle stuff on their own. Said, "We will let the drivers settle it". Well that lasted...what..4 races? It cannot be done because like hockey fights or beaning batters in baseball, it escalates and to a point that is fine, but we had a 3400 lb. race car going a good clip into the fence. NASCAR's lawyers and insurance types probably all clutched their hearts when they saw that....

I dunno. I am torn....I think Brad is a good driver who just knows how to tick guys off, but I figure Carl isn't known for dumping guys in retaliation. That said, Carl's act has worn thin, and he should have come right out and said "Damn right I dumped him, and while I didn't like him hitting the fence like that, this punk has had everyone ticked off. Now NASCAR, put your money where your mouth is...we settled it ON the track."

The sad reality is, NASCAR cant let them always settle it ...because one day a settling of accounts will end up with a fatality in the stands or in the car. Carl just proved that a hot head will not use judgement. Doing this at Atlanta was just stupid.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The payback was always on the cards, the bad blood is there for all to watch. But not when your 100 laps down, and not when the other guy is in 4th.

The timing was bad, the result was bad, and Edwards knew it.

It's not over, I just hope they don't involve an Earnhardt or a Johnson in their silly lovers tiff, then NASCAR will be upset.
    - :spinhead: Oh he turned him !!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Oh, and for those people who dislike NASCAR because of stuff like this, it is a) the exception, and b) stock car racing. No room for wimps out there...on occasion people are going to lean on each other. Last I looked, that is why the cars have fenders!
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".