Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts

Block's Co Driver??

I just finished watching the day two highlights, and I noticed when they were showing the on-board footage, they just had captions saying "Ken Block", while for all other drivers they also had the codriver's name there...

Any idea why this would be so for him?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Alex Gelsomino, from Palermo (ITA).

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    they just had captions saying "Ken Block", while for all other drivers they also had the codriver's name there...
    Because they wait for us, the viewers to let Motors TV know who rally drivers, co drivers and their pronunciation are!!

haha

:P
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsportfun
    Alex Gelsomino, from Palermo (ITA).
    According the entry list Alex is from USA. Does any have an idea what is for real? Both nationalities maybe?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well he has a rich accent, so maybe from Little Italy, Chicago, USA

Lulz
    Yeah, americans love rallying too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    According the entry list Alex is from USA. Does any have an idea what is for real? Both nationalities maybe?
    Alex has lived in the US for sometime. I believe is he a US citizen.

He was born in and grew up in Italy.

With the Monster deal his personal website is "being redesigned" however internet archive came up with this:

Name: Alessandro Gelsomino
    Place of Birth: Palermo, Italy
    Date of Birth: 3/21/1973
    Residence: Los Angeles, California.
    First Rally: 1992
    Marital status: Married
    Daily driver: Subaru WRX
    Hobbies: Mountain Biking, Running, Reading, R/C cars, Riding his Motorbike.

Alex was born and raised in Italy, where Rallies are more than a tradition. He has a College degree in accounting and business administration, and speaks three languages fluently.
    Alex started competing in 1992 when, just 17 years old, applied for the Rally license the same day he obtained his driving permit. His first years were spent competing in the very popular "one make series" in the Italian Championship, with Opel, Peugeots, and Renaults.
    Those early years, spent learning the proper use of pace notes, were an important boost when Alex moved to USA, in the mid nineties and resumed his Rally career in the California Rally Championship.
    Alex has actively competed in the major North American Rally championships since 1998, always sitting in "Open" and "Group N" cars.
    After co-driving for several privateer teams, Alex joined Arizona based AVSport for the 2002 season. The opportunity resulted in sitting with a couple of the team's customers and collecting several important results. Notably a third place in class at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, second in Group N at the Oregon Trails Rally as well as competing at the International Rally of Wales, in the British Championship.
    The end of the 2002 season brought Alex's first international outright victory, when he and American driver Mark Nelson put an AVSport-prepared Subaru Impreza on top of the podium at the FIA Laughlin International Rally, in front of the factory backed Mitsubishi Team.
    Soon after his victory at the Nevada Rally, Alex was hired to codrive for veteran U.S. driver Tim O'Neil in the 2003 ProRally season with the Air Force Reserve sponsored Ford Focus SVT. That partnership resulted in first place privateer and fourth overall in one of the most competitive seasons recorded in North American Rally history.

That is about 4 years old but gives you some idea about his background.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Plus, he is a real nice person.
    Doug Woods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the bio post!
    Yeah, americans love rallying too.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1
    Because they wait for us, the viewers to let Motors TV know who rally drivers, co drivers and their pronunciation are!!

haha

:P
    That makes perfect sense...

Thanks L5.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Woods
    Plus, he is a real nice person.

People with personalities that include positive, helpful attitudes (yet focused, professional, and manage thier time well) like Alex and Ken in the US and the international rally scene is, for me, make the sport so enjoyable. It also makes it very hard to explain to my non-rally friends.

That's just coming from a naive spectator such as myself!

I think what we saw this weekend was a positive impact and outreach from the Americans to the world stage, and that outreach was accepted graciously.

I never thought this day would come, and in this fashion, so quickly. I'm super excited about R-A/WRC this year.
    Ken & Alex in WRC? Awesome!http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com