Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Massa: New teams are bad for F1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81892

Maybe the bang to the head last year did effect Felipe or maybe he is towing the Ferrari line? All teams have to start somewhere!

I guess he and Ferrari are grumpy because they wanted to run 3 cars so they could have had Michael back (or sell their chassis to a customer team)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81892

Maybe the bang to the head last year did effect Felipe or maybe he is towing the Ferrari line? All teams have to start somewhere!

I guess he and Ferrari are grumpy because they wanted to run 3 cars so they could have had Michael back (or sell their chassis to a customer team)
    Taking what Webber said to the LdM level of WTF?!?

Come on Felipe, surely you're a better man than to come out with this.
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Strange!
    A danger. Has Felipe not seen F1 pre 2002. Its not the 1st time cars have gone around 4 seconds off the pace. You would think Massa had never raced amongst tail enders but surely he remembers the early rounds of 2005 I remember the Minardi's a bit off the pace.

I am sure most of the fans around the world would rather see a full 26 cars (24 this year) rather than only the 16 or 18 existing cars.
    We understand that the 3 new teams may (MAY) struggle a bit to start with but with more cars comes more racing and hopefully more action.
    F1 has a history of team diversity and I personally don't want to have only 8 odd teams being competative and there being no chance of new teams working their way up.

Can't agree Felipe.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    The FIA used to agree with him. They had this thing called the 107% qualifying rule to stop painfully slow cars from getting in the way during races. For some reason they don't think it necesary anymore.

Good for Hispania as I doubt they'll be within 117% of pole let alone 107% when they turn up for the 1st race without turning a wheel first.

New teams are good for F1 but the days of throwing a car togther and turning up at the first race are gone. The FIA should have brought back the 107% rule when it opened up the grid. That way we would have new teams and races less likely to be blighted by mobile chicanes.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Ok let's stop the new boy bashing now Ferrari. These guys have joined the F1 club now, and whatever the rights and/or wrongs of their arrival on the grid they are here now - hopefully for good.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Ok let's stop the new boy bashing now Ferrari. These guys have joined the F1 club now, and whatever the rights and/or wrongs of their arrival on the grid they are here now - hopefully for good.
    Too true.

Also with 1 more to come.

With the exeption of 1995 no really slow cars made the grid from 1988 to 2003 when the 107% Rule was stopped.
    This was because on the whole in late 80's and early 90's the amount of entries mean't the ridiculously slow cars didn't make it past Quali or Pre Quali.
    Then by 95 there were only 26 cars so Forti's for example were guarenteed a grid slot.
    So on the back of their lack of pace early on that season the 107% was introduced in 96 to again cut out any really slow cars until 2002.
    So we are looking at a car 8,9 or 10 seconds of the pace for the 1st time since Forti's 95 or back to the 80's before that.

I may be wrong but thats how it looks to me.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    this is a load of ffffen bull

read http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/...Felipinho.aspx

The new teams are having problems: also on the track?
    "I hope they won't be a danger. There are 6-7 teams one second apart while those teams are 4 seconds behind. It's not good for the sport and not good for them: it's like two different series. They'll suffer. And we'll suffer too, when we have them in front of us during qualifying".
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Looks like Ferrari expect every new team to enter and immediatley be within 1 second!

Pretty unlikley.

Of course Ferrari would never bring up the rear of the field would they. They would rather withdraw than be a tail ender.

hmmmm.. LUCA! obviously disagreed with Ferrari's official policy last year.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Good for Hispania as I doubt they'll be within 117% of pole let alone 107% when they turn up for the 1st race without turning a wheel first.
    No, they're 1sec faster than Virgin and Lotus according to Dallara

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    To those who share the absurd, in my opinion, view that it's possible to remove every conceivable danger from F1 — it isn't, short of not running races at all — Massa's view might seem sensible. To the rest of us, it isn't. It is a shame that when a driver such as Massa dares to offer an opinion that isn't bland PR puffery, they are invariably ill-informed, crass and lacking in any historical perspective. Maybe he should be reminded, because, like most modern F1 drivers he will surely have no interest in the sport's history, that there have been times when his current employer's cars were trailing round near the back some way off the pace.