Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    good to see 22 cars testing, plus panther to make 23.
    not too bad, we have seen worse in the past - particular with some champcar pre season tests when 10 or 11 cars show up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite9185
    Cavins twitter post:

As there is 3 cars listed for KV with TBA as the driver i guess it could be either Rossiter or PT in the car.
    It will be Rossiter. KVRT are referring to him as a test driver right now as he will be in the third car for KVRT this week.

They are simply waiting for his cheque to clear before signing him.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From his twitter, PT is pissed.

Can't say I blame him and I agree with him on this issue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes he is. And Oriol has his back...haven't followed Graham for awhile to get his take. I did send an email with my displeasure to Indycar media relations today.

I'm fine with all these no names and uninteresting drivers getting rides. The problem I have is that it should be in addition to talent and personality. Instead of being the back bone of the series I'd rather see them as role players. Even in baseball you have the Pirates and Royals...if you had no Yankees and Red Sox the interest level goes way down.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The problem is no one wants to pay to put PT behind the wheel, or Graham Rahal. It is NOT the IRL's job to tell sponsors who to sponsor, nor team owners to NOT take money to have PT drive while VISO stands there with a 6 million dollar check.

The fact is this sport is living on bread crumbs, so when the dull Euro or Brazilian has money, they give him the ride.

Is it stupid? OH ya, they will not have the attraction by way of personalities if this continues but the sad truth is something has to change in the economics of this sport. I cant blame Carl Haas for selling the seat if he wants to keep the doors open or ditto for Vasser and Kalkoven. If the IRL has the power and muscle to get PT into a car, or Graham Into a car, then they need the cash. As we saw this last year, we are living in the era where the bottom line is king now at the IRL, and if Spending money on putting drivers Americans like was the key, then TG is an idiot because he had the opportunity and chose to put his unknown son in a car 2 years ago. I don't believe Tony is a total idiot, but the fact is the IRL had the opportunity to put drivers people LIKED into rides if they wanted to spend the money while they still had ratings and didn't do it and THAT is because this sport HAS to survive on its merits. IT cannot be a socialized welfare plan for American or Canadian Drivers.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    The problem is no one wants to pay to put PT behind the wheel, or Graham Rahal. It is NOT the IRL's job to tell sponsors who to sponsor, nor team owners to NOT take money to have PT drive while VISO stands there with a 6 million dollar check.

The fact is this sport is living on bread crumbs, so when the dull Euro or Brazilian has money, they give him the ride.

Is it stupid? OH ya, they will not have the attraction by way of personalities if this continues but the sad truth is something has to change in the economics of this sport. I cant blame Carl Haas for selling the seat if he wants to keep the doors open or ditto for Vasser and Kalkoven. If the IRL has the power and muscle to get PT into a car, or Graham Into a car, then they need the cash. As we saw this last year, we are living in the era where the bottom line is king now at the IRL, and if Spending money on putting drivers Americans like was the key, then TG is an idiot because he had the opportunity and chose to put his unknown son in a car 2 years ago. I don't believe Tony is a total idiot, but the fact is the IRL had the opportunity to put drivers people LIKED into rides if they wanted to spend the money while they still had ratings and didn't do it and THAT is because this sport HAS to survive on its merits. IT cannot be a socialized welfare plan for American or Canadian Drivers.
    You are correct. You are carrying on my point in a way that makes sense. It isn't the Indycar's job to tell sponsors who to sponsor. I know the policy has gone away from subsidizing drivers and teams but frankly if they don't put some drivers in seats, Indycar cannot survive. Let the ride buyers come as they have but now as a business you can see where you have holes. A giant hole is Rahal, obviously. The league should step in and say, wait, we cannot sell our product without these missing ingredients. Ditto for Tracy...he's been out of a full time ride for 2 years and he's probably the 2nd most popular active driver to The Danica. I think under these circumstances, the league needs to see it is in their best interest to put what the fans want to see into the mix...a handful of them not just Rahal and Tracy...there has to be enough ROI to run 4 or 5 legit drivers on various teams. I cannot believe the revenues wouldn't increase. Just looking at the races Tracy was in last year, the ratings spiked over same race previous year without him. He in particular puts fans in seats and I think if Rahal isn't in a ride there will be fans that don't show up this year. I know I'm not wrong, so why is it so hard for the league to invest in? Hope I'm making some sense of my point.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    TG is an idiot because he had the opportunity and chose to put his unknown son in a car 2 years ago. I don't believe Tony is a total idiot, but the fact is the IRL had the opportunity to put drivers people LIKED into rides if they wanted to spend the money while they still had ratings and didn't do it and THAT is because this sport HAS to survive on its merits.

TG at least put drivers like Townsend Bell, Tomas Scheckter, AJ Foyt IV, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Davey Hamilton in cars in the past few years. And helped countless others (who shall remain nameless, but we can probably guess who they were) race for other teams.

That is a hell of a lot more then most of these owners have done.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    TG at least put drivers like Townsend Bell, Tomas Scheckter, AJ Foyt IV, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Davey Hamilton in cars in the past few years. And helped countless others (who shall remain nameless, but we can probably guess who they were) race for other teams.
    He did do that, and unfortunately in this economy, it needs to be done again. If IMS doesn't really understand this, they are to realize they won't have a series much longer.

Personally, I would had loved to see Izod go to their parent company PVH and try to get Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Bass, and some of their license brands to piece together 2 or 3 full time drives for guys like Graham Rahal, Paul Tracy, J.R. Hildebrand and finish off the RHR ride at AA.

I wonder if this was something that was attempted. I would think it would be a win-win for PVH to demand their brands sponsor an Indycar. It would help Izod grow the Izod Indycar Series with what is essentially PVH funds, and the brands that did sponsor would get pretty good treatment and a decent ROI.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    He did do that, and unfortunately in this economy, it needs to be done again. If IMS doesn't really understand this, they are to realize they won't have a series much longer.

Personally, I would had loved to see Izod go to their parent company PVH and try to get Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Bass, and some of their license brands to piece together 2 or 3 full time drives for guys like Graham Rahal, Paul Tracy, J.R. Hildebrand and finish off the RHR ride at AA.

I wonder if this was something that was attempted. I would think it would be a win-win for PVH to demand their brands sponsor an Indycar. It would help Izod grow the Izod Indycar Series with what is essentially PVH funds, and the brands that did sponsor would get pretty good treatment and a decent ROI.
    Seems we are on the same page. Nice way of justifying this too...with the various brand names. Excellent idea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.

That is a hell of a lot more then most of these owners have done.
    However let's be clear here, he did so as a series owner using his families reserves as much as he did this as a team owner.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.