Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

Happy Birthday Niki

Feb 22nd is the 61st birthday of one of my favorite people. THREE times world champion Niki Lauda.

He pioneered the Schumacher approach to racing and just like the German driver, made a comeback too. He won his third title.

This grest driver ranks with the bravest and the best - I could easily pciture him racing in the 30's or the 50's.

Never someone to tolerate bs, he always spoke his mind and acted with determination that matched his great self-esteem.

A driver that never took himself too seriously [and prevented this poster and a friend from being thrown out of the Ferrari pits by di Montezemolo when as kids we ended up in the Ferrari garage immediately after one of Niki's wins], gave away all his trophies, colored his helmet red because he thought it would be easily seen if he crashed into the trees and down the hills at the Nurburgring, wanted to punch the priest that gave him the last rites, was back in a Ferrari at Monza six weeks after his accident, really disliked Enzo Ferrari because of how he acted towards people, and told a fan when they saw him at Bergwerk that he was "looking for his ear", the Austrian driver was a wonderful experience to watch when he drove.

Anyone that saw Lauda dominate a race from pole and watched him lap after lap drive without error hitting the same points on the track will understand how much rubbish the "no overtaking moan" is.

So we celebrate "The Rats" birthday, twice Monaco Grand Prix winner, and I consider myself so very fortunate to have watched him race.

Happy birthday Niki Lauda and many more
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Niki

Happy Birthday Niki,as said above a differant F1 driver.
    After those horrific injuries,where due to fire he sustained so much visible damage ,he returned to the cockpit in such a short time ,a "True Legend"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Best wishes to my fellow Austrian. A great racer, a brave soul, a frank speaker, and a remarkable businessman. May he live long and be happy.