Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's probably still accurate for a few countries...

At least this one certainly is:
    Portugal - Sport TV
    Those *******s get everything (F1, WRC, MotoGP)... even if the open channels had any major interest, they don't have money to compete. The problem with this? SportTV is cable... locked/paid... premium TV... w/ crappy commentators... 26€/month... want HD? That will be 29€/month.
    Burn in hell.

A single Le Mans weekend, Live and HD, on Eurosport worths ten times that, and we get it for "free", with top commentators and excellent guests.

Back in late 90's I remember video tapping WRC recaps on open TV on Sunday mornings, those were the days... and when Rally Portugal was on, Live coverage/proper footage, WRC was treated like the World Cup.
    On Youtube: ...v=hMQf6-Yi4w8
    Tommi Mäkinen: "There was no option with Mitsubishi... the car was built to go flat out.... was very very difficult to drive if you drive slowly..."

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    That list is quite old, Sporttv showed the highlights when the production was still under North One Sport, after that they stopped showing WRC and I dont think they will show it anytime soon. I think Motors will show it again this year.

Liked 69 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend
    I note there's been a few changes to WRC.com in recent days.

Seems to be a new video player, and a new sponsor in Certina - obviously replacing Edox.

Any reason to think this isn't the current list of broadcasters?

World Rally Championship - Fanzone - WRC TV Guide
    That's the part of the problem: look at the official site as a central thing.

The site is a tool, but the main promotion must be the TV channels, because is the TV that put the WRC in front of big generalistic audiences. And about TV we have nothing. Let's hope that Red Bull don'ty create (one more) mess on the WRC,
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    That's the part of the problem: look at the official site as a central thing.

The site is a tool, but the main promotion must be the TV channels, because is the TV that put the WRC in front of big generalistic audiences. And about TV we have nothing. Let's hope that Red Bull don'ty create (one more) mess on the WRC,
    Agreed, although these things like the website will also be essential nowadays to get younger audience involved and giving back more reputation to the sport. I mean, even considering the 30min TV recaps at the end of each day, people would like to follow the events more closely and having a solid/well designed website with several key features it's very important.

This is specially true considering the current low state of WRC's popularity... a big effort has to be made to elevate it, not only on TV, but several other types of services... WSBK a few years ago had free and live streaming, the same with GT1/GT3 championships... it would help.
    I hope services like live timings direct to our mobile phones (or Android Apps), can return and provide a bridge to those who are unable to follow the rally at home.
    Sure, those things require money and manpower, but if those platforms are provided with quality, people will get along with it and will keep close to the events... not interruptedly, by the 2 or 3 TV recaps at the end of the day (maybe not even that, if the recap is shown at late hours)...
    Of course, let's not forget Rally Radio to those who want to follow every detail of the events.

Plus, why not providing some photos directly from the stages (you can upload images from everywhere nowadays)... and later some videos taking advantage of some of the current media resources like Youtube...

Why not getting the fans involved by encouraging them to share their best photos/videos taken during their event, and publishing them on their official site/facebook? I know, people shouldn't be holding their phones and cameras but cheering and enjoying the rally, but there's always people taking photos/recording thanks to nowadays common smartphone high capabilities.

Maybe even creating some merchandise giveaway contests? Powered by the teams/sponsors or WRC partners themselves? I doubt some of them wouldn't gladly provide some stuff to get a bit of public attention... specially the new/smaller ones like DMack that would actually gain a lot from spreading the brand out there to the regular guy...

All I see is potential to raise WRC from the ground... and with Loeb out of the picture the championship will certainly be more unpredictable and exciting... would be a great mistake not to take advantage of that. All this combined with the return of proper TV coverage, would seriously give WRC a great and necessary boost... one that would give constructors and sponsors a moment to think about the marketing opportunities.
    Tommi Mäkinen: "There was no option with Mitsubishi... the car was built to go flat out.... was very very difficult to drive if you drive slowly..."

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    On one note, having fans submit photos of their own straight away and from stages creates the issue of photographed such as my self not to have work or get clients in the WRC.

Also, photographers can submit photos straight away. ie agencies who supply to the WRC, to Citroen Racing, M-Sport, MINI and other privateer teams in each category but it takes time to edit process and upload the photos. It's a stressful time and you'd be surprised how many photos are taken and how many people do the work as the market has gone down, it kind of sucks.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I cannot believe it! WRC - to me, and other motorsport fans - a major championship - is nowhere to be found in the TV schedules! Pathetic! And, slightly off-topic, but what happened to ESPN's other motorsport - the only other one found on their motorsport page is DTM!

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Basically on the subject of adding pictures direct from the stages, it would be best if the Twitter and Instagram et al pictures from stage end reporters, such as Julian Porter and Colin Clark, could be collated into one place on the WRC.com site. It should not be a place for instantly uploaded photos from the general public, as GigiGalliNo1 puts it, you do not want to dilute the market for the band of professional photographers who already struggle with increasing competition despite a decreasing market.

However a mean for photographers to share their pictures on the site, maybe a week afterwards, could generate interest between events. Maybe even hosting competitions for professionals and amateurs alike? That would allow the professionals time to present their picture to the time critical media outlets and allow an outlet for fans to share their views and passions with other passionate fans.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1
    On one note, having fans submit photos of their own straight away and from stages creates the issue of photographed such as my self not to have work or get clients in the WRC.

Also, photographers can submit photos straight away. ie agencies who supply to the WRC, to Citroen Racing, M-Sport, MINI and other privateer teams in each category but it takes time to edit process and upload the photos. It's a stressful time and you'd be surprised how many photos are taken and how many people do the work as the market has gone down, it kind of sucks.
    I don't think it would overlap that work. Fan images and videos taken on smartphones or modest cameras don't have much quality in the first place... it would be more of a complement to show key moments from a different angle, some shots of the spectators enjoying the rally, etc...

I mean, (semi-)professionals will always choose the best places to take the photos and make them the best they can later with software editing... those will continue to be the ones used for official entities. Fan photos/videos can actually capture moments where photographers aren't usually placed... we see that all the time along the years, fan videos/photos of crashes and extreme situations being included on official media recaps/highlights.

A typical situation would be this: in the middle of the stage (with no photographers near), some driver clips a stone or something and a fan captures the moment. With current smartphones you can share images/videos immediately, and the fan would upload that to WRC's facebook/youtube/website or whatever... being even an useful font of information to organizers/WRC media/fans... even the teams could find it useful to evaluate the level of damage taken by the car (on general, of course, quality wouldn't be that great).
    I'm not saying they should re-publish everything the fans sent their way in their official general page (facebook speaking, for example), but some of it would be useful not only as an information point of view, but to establish a connection between the sport and the fans.

Another example: in Fafe Rally Sprint 2012 event, Michelle Mouton and the organizers went along the stage to contemplate all the public and wave at them. I've seen maybe 1 image of that moment in the media... but on Youtube there's a fan video showing that moment and the enthusiastic reaction of thousands of fans. It's not a very big deal per say, but it's an interesting situation otherwise we probably wouldn't see.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Well I asked VW about UK coverage through their WRC Facebook page and they have just got back to me saying that "opinion varies" on who will be showing it!! So that obviously means that nobody has a bloody clue!! Really pissed off about this whole situation, its a complete joke and bad (if it could get worse) for the WRC...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    Well I asked VW about UK coverage through their WRC Facebook page and they have just got back to me saying that "opinion varies" on who will be showing it!! So that obviously means that nobody has a bloody clue!! Really pissed off about this whole situation, its a complete joke and bad (if it could get worse) for the WRC...
    This could bring the entire future of the sport in jeopardy, as it is very doubtful whether constructors as Citroen or VW, let alone their sponsors, will keep going on for long investing money in a series that has almost no media coverage.