Page 18 of 104 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Watched Day 1 coverage from Eurosport... so far so good. Julian Porter is doing the commentary similar to how he use to do a LIVE Power Stage but with a bit more script. A few hiccups with him but it's his first time doing it. Kinda like the guy from IRC but better haha.
    Production wise, new graphics and the way the show is put together. Few panning shots of scenery are duplicated but what can you do. Heli-cam is pretty good and enough coverage of cars on stages including Ogier and mentioning the S2000 cars in the days review.
    There are awkward silences when Julian isn't talking as well as the background noise you can hear... I heard a phone ring!
    When they're doing service park shots or interviews, it takes a second to kick in, service coverage it's very quiet so that'll improve.
    Simulcam is something new when they've filmed one part of a stage from a distance and put two films on top of each other, two cars on each other and compared! Pretty neat!

On another note, I don't think the teams or drivers are paying anyone (Production company) to broadcast coverage of their cars like they did in the past.... There is plenty of drivers talked about and shown including the Skoda guys and Delecour so things have changed. I only recall seeing Henning or Wilson once on the show... perhaps they're not doing well.... (Sorry couldn't follow the rally properly last night)
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1
    Watched Day 1 coverage from Eurosport... so far so good. Julian Porter is doing the commentary similar to how he use to do a LIVE Power Stage but with a bit more script. A few hiccups with him but it's his first time doing it. Kinda like the guy from IRC but better haha.
    Production wise, new graphics and the way the show is put together. Few panning shots of scenery are duplicated but what can you do. Heli-cam is pretty good and enough coverage of cars on stages including Ogier and mentioning the S2000 cars in the days review.
    There are awkward silences when Julian isn't talking as well as the background noise you can hear... I heard a phone ring!
    When they're doing service park shots or interviews, it takes a second to kick in, service coverage it's very quiet so that'll improve.
    Simulcam is something new when they've filmed one part of a stage from a distance and put two films on top of each other, two cars on each other and compared! Pretty neat!

On another note, I don't think the teams or drivers are paying anyone (Production company) to broadcast coverage of their cars like they did in the past.... There is plenty of drivers talked about and shown including the Skoda guys and Delecour so things have changed. I only recall seeing Henning or Wilson once on the show... perhaps they're not doing well.... (Sorry couldn't follow the rally properly last night)
    +1

I just posted similar on the Good Riddance NOS thread: I liked the Eurosport coverage. It is a nice refreshing change, especially when compared with the Paul King/NOS sh*te we have had to endure for the last few years. Long live Eurosport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just watching the motors tv coverage. Also with Julian Porter. Is it exactly the same as Eurosport?

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Motors was exactly the same as Eurosport (except fuzzier, like it was with NOS)

Nice to hear Julien Porter doing the commentary. I thought the footage was very good, especially considering how little time they had to put this together. Lots of helicopter shots, good onboards, simulcam that we first saw in IRC is good (much better than old virtual spectator) and like others have said nice to see them showing a proper variety of cars.

The screening delay is frustrating but live sports have to take precedence. I started watching on Motors but when Eurosport programme started I switched over to watch it in HD. If screening time is a big issue then at least we have Motors too which should be more reliable with the timings.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    Motors was exactly the same as Eurosport (except fuzzier, like it was with NOS)

Nice to hear Julien Porter doing the commentary. I thought the footage was very good, especially considering how little time they had to put this together. Lots of helicopter shots, good onboards, simulcam that we first saw in IRC is good (much better than old virtual spectator) and like others have said nice to see them showing a proper variety of cars.

The screening delay is frustrating but live sports have to take precedence. I started watching on Motors but when Eurosport programme started I switched over to watch it in HD. If screening time is a big issue then at least we have Motors too which should be more reliable with the timings.
    Sorry but it simply wasn't good enough.

Eurosport did again what it always does - fails to keep to schedule, lets down viewers, so no surprise it isn't holding audiences or attracting advertisers.

Quality of coverage was poor - no narrative or story of the day, just a disjointed stage-by-stage top six or seven cars; meaningless gaps in commentary and scripting; nothing to explain the story of Sordo's recovery from his incident.

After watching this, it's easy to see why some of the teams are concerned about Eurosport's capabilites for the whole season.

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    I totally agree with milly. The script and commentary was pretty bad and even though I like Julian I really miss Paul King. Guess we'll have to give Eurosport some time to get their **** together so we'll see after Sweden how things are. Besides the many missteps and hickups from Julian the biggest problem is that there was no stories from behind the stagetimes at all. They totally missed reactions from Ford to Latvalas crash (besides from Latvala himself), they missed the part about how Petter made Ford go with the diagonal tire strategy, only to be phoned up by Malcolm and told NOT to run his own idea on the stage. That cost him a lot of time. Time he really needs now that he's in second overall and the only factory Ford left. There was no comment at all, and only one shot from the satellite Ford team. No words about how Hennings Ford fell to pieces (like it always does).

All in all, a pretty bad first day. How RAS007 can say it's better is beyond me, but I guess Paul King stole his girlfriend or something..

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I can understand people's comments about the commentary not being very slick but on the whole the quality of footage was good.

Surprising to see some Paul King fans coming out the closet, I couldn't stand that over-produced bland cheesy crap so much I haven't bothered watching any WRC stuff since Finland last year before last nights programme, even though I have Motors TV.

Pretty useless criticising Eurosport at this stage, especially considering that if this was still an IRC event or if they had been given more time the entire rally probably would have been televised live.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    I actually had no problems with any commentators from the late 90's to now. They've been fine but I didn't like when they did the review 60min show and the power stage was "Scripted" LIVE unless they use edited the Live coverage into the 60 min special... sorry.

I've enjoyed all commentary and Porter has plenty of time to work on it if he continues! We have to give Eurosport time as well. How long did they have to do all this? You give it a shot last minute! (That saying they have done Monte IRC... so no one can win this argument! hah)
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Looks as though Paul King has signed up here under an alias......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    I can understand people's comments about the commentary not being very slick but on the whole the quality of footage was good.

Surprising to see some Paul King fans coming out the closet, I couldn't stand that over-produced bland cheesy crap so much I haven't bothered watching any WRC stuff since Finland last year before last nights programme, even though I have Motors TV.

Pretty useless criticising Eurosport at this stage, especially considering that if this was still an IRC event or if they had been given more time the entire rally probably would have been televised live.
    +1