Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

De Ferran back in the game

Glad to see you back in IndyCar, Gil (In whatever form)!!

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15764

Steve Luczo and Jay Penske, co-owners of Luczo Dragon Racing, have welcomed a partner.

Gil de Ferran, owner of de Ferran Motorsports and the 2003 Indianapolis 500 winner, will serve as co-owner, president and managing partner of Luczo Dragon Racing/de Ferran Motorsports in the IZOD IndyCar Series.

After spending the past two years as driver and team owner of de Ferran Motorsports in the American Le Mans Series, de Ferran has been focused on bringing his championship experience to the IZOD IndyCar Series. The decision to join forces with Luczo Dragon Racing is based on a desire from both teams to build one of the most advanced and high technology motorsports operations in North America.

"We have been talking to Gil about this for some time and we felt this was the perfect opportunity to combine our resources," Luczo said. "Gil has the experience of working with major manufacturers and leading racing teams all over the world and we feel we can bring the essential business acumen and managerial expertise to the operation. Our skills are highly complementary and we all have the same vision and ambitions. We're very excited about the direction of our team."

The combined skills of the three partners will create a formidable framework around which to operate. Penske, the youngest son of Roger Penske, has built an impressive media and publishing firm while maintaining a close interest in the sport. Luczo is chairman and CEO of Seagate Technologies, while de Ferran's successes are well documented in the world of motorsport as a driver and more recently a team owner.

"Gil and I have known each other for 10 years - when he started racing for my father," Penske said. "Gil has always had ambitions outside of the car and Steve and I have been talking to him about working together for some time. Luczo Dragon Racing and de Ferran Motorsports will live together. We all share the same vision for the future in this industry and with our combined skills we are confident that we can make a real success story of this new venture. We have the resources and the knowledge to build a great motorsport organization together."

Said de Ferran: "This is a hugely exciting announcement. Our aim is to put together a state-of-the-art motorsports operation with a sharp focus in high technology and developing the science of performance. We have a very talented driver in Raphael Matos who has been a winner at every level he raced and showed great potential already last year, becoming rookie of the year. The foundation is set and with our collective resources and leadership we hope to break new ground and become one of the most competitive teams in the IZOD IndyCar Series."

Luczo Dragon Racing was formed in 2007 with Ryan Briscoe finishing fifth in the Indianapolis 500, the team's initial race. After a limited schedule in 2008, Luczo Dragon ran a full season in 2009 and claimed the Apex-Brasil Rookie of the Year title Award with Matos behind the wheel.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome back Gil!!!

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Good to see Gil back in the game....and Jay Penske is an excellent partner....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome back

Great to see Gil back in Indy car! Class act.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is good news indeed.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    This is good news indeed.
    Is it?

I see a big name former driver and a big name team owner having to merge in order to make the grid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Is it?

I see a big name former driver and a big name team owner having to merge in order to make the grid.

As always, YOUR glass is half empty.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is good news in the sense the De Ferran will be actively part of the IRL in 2010. This is not so great news in that the expected 2 teams (Gil's and young Penske's) will now just be a single team. Possible upside is that this merged team MAY have 2 cars. If it's just a 1 car, then count me underwhelmed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First thing that needs to be done is come up with a better name for this team.

Luzco-Dragon/deFerren Motorsports doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    This is good news in the sense the De Ferran will be actively part of the IRL in 2010. This is not so great news in that the expected 2 teams (Gil's and young Penske's) will now just be a single team. Possible upside is that this merged team MAY have 2 cars. If it's just a 1 car, then count me underwhelmed.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can see 2 cars on the grid with this merger.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion