Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    They can work with the NFL. The owner of the Texans can be I am sure asked for a weekend they book with the NFL as an away game. Cities with teams work around other events all the time. There is no CANT if you don't believe in it. If the promotors of this race in Houston go to the Texan's and work out a deal of some sort, you can bet one weekend a year the race will be booked and the Texan's are on the road. If the Detroit Lions can keep having their home date on Thanksgiving every year, it isn't that hard for the NFL to ensure that the Texans are on the road the 3 rd weekend of September every year...
    It could be that they have a deal in place with the Texans and the NFL, and if that's the case the deal is probably more advanced than what they're letting on. The NFL is beyond having to do favors for anyone else, and probably doesn't want an event during their season that's competition for tickets, but maybe they've signed on, if that's the case who knows what their level of involvement might be.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    That's precisely why one of my recommendations for the new formula is to not only make them more competetive through chassis competition, but actually make the cars physically smaller and more nimble, so there is simply more room on a lot of tight tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    how do you make them smaller and maintain safety at 230mph into the wall at indy or texas?

or in an accident similar to Micheal andrettis or kathrine legs at RA?

*I dont disagree.....just not sure it can be done?
    I think the issue with tracks like Mid-Ohio and RA is not so much with the size and nimbleness (is that even a word???). I think it is one of being unable to run side by side safely without the fear of launching. That's why I keep harping on the need for protection of that by having body work in front of each wheel. I was there when Michael did the end-over-end at the end of the back straight. I don't ever want to sit through that again and I am sure no driver does even more so! We can still have "open-wheel" and protect against launches. Do that and these sorts of tracks will become VERY exciting.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    That's precisely why one of my recommendations for the new formula is to not only make them more competetive through chassis competition, but actually make the cars physically smaller and more nimble, so there is simply more room on a lot of tight tracks.
    Ummm that would be F1..and the last time I looked, they didn't often provide great RACES with side by side action. They cost a lot. Lets face it, to have a cheaper OW formula (which will be required until this sport can make a comeback IF it does) then you wont get lighter and nimbler. Furthermore, what I LOVED about classic Indy/Champ Cars from the 80's and 90's was the longer wheelbase and nasty power of them. They never put on a good show at places like Mid-Ohio because they are hard to drive and FAST in a straight line.

I do know that Houston can come back but they have to start designing street courses with a bit more room to pass. St. Pete's works in this sense, Toronto has 2 good spots, Long Beach ditto. If we are going to have street races (and even tho I don't mind them, I don't want to see more than 5 of them) then spend the time and get the course design into something that provides a spectacle AND a great race.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hmm, same materials, physically smaller engine, smaller car= lighter car. There's plenty of examples to choose from. F1 has failed to address the real reason their races aren't competetive- their brakes work too damn well. It's shocking how quickly an F1 car accelerates, but more shocking is how quickly they stop the first time you see a modern F1 car in person. Outlaw carbon brakes and greatly extend braking distances. Do Atlantics have these problems? Why not look at a 3/4 or 7/8 size indycar that retains similar proportions or are we trying to accomodate the Top Gear Stereotype of an american driver?
    Same room between the white lines + smaller cars= more room between tires, etc. more room to race. MidOhio and many street courses are simply too narrow for current Indycars. I agree though as I already have stated, they need to re-think the design of temporary road courses, especially when there IS more room to pull back corners and widen not only the racing line, but the view for spectators. Cleveland, Edmonton, St Pete. I realise they have to cover curbs, storm drains etc, but Move the walls back where they can. Do teh walls HAVE to be the edge of the race course, especially when they are racing through a damn parking lot???

IMHO of course.......
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    how do you make them smaller and maintain safety at 230mph into the wall at indy or texas?

or in an accident similar to Micheal andrettis or kathrine legs at RA?

*I dont disagree.....just not sure it can be done?
    Do they have to run 230 at Indy or Texas? Don't get me wrong, I still long for 241.425. NASCAR, to their credit did prove the racing doesn't have to suffer when the cars are slowed, but it definitely takes something special out of the INDY tradition. Sadly, that tradition is already long gone IMHO.
    Kat's accident had absolutely nothing to do with contact, that was a structural failure of the wing. Michael would have spun even in a closed wheel car the way he clipped PJ Jones. Thankfully they both were in a safe car, but it doesn't HAVE to be a car of that width and length to remain safe.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MidOhio and many street courses are simply too narrow for current Indycars.
    Only because of the concerns about launching a car if the wheels intertwine. Prevent that and the width is no longer an issue. I don't think an IRL car is much wider than an ALMS car. But I don't have any numbers to back that up. Where the hell is Hoop when we need him??? I'll dig around on google and see what I can find.

Gary

P.S. The Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 had a width/track of 78.7 inches. The IRL car has a width/track of max of 78.5 inches.
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Do they have to run 230 at Indy or Texas? Don't get me wrong, I still long for 241.425. NASCAR, to their credit did prove the racing doesn't have to suffer when the cars are slowed, but it definitely takes something special out of the INDY tradition. Sadly, that tradition is already long gone IMHO.
    Kat's accident had absolutely nothing to do with contact, that was a structural failure of the wing. Michael would have spun even in a closed wheel car the way he clipped PJ Jones. Thankfully they both were in a safe car, but it doesn't HAVE to be a car of that width and length to remain safe.
    Indycar PR people say that the no.1 reason people watch Indycar is the speed. This is of course a red herring, because you need to know what people who are NOT watching care about if you want to grow. But until they figure that out, they can't afford to alienate the remaining fans.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    Indycar PR people say that the no.1 reason people watch Indycar is the speed. This is of course a red herring, because you need to know what people who are NOT watching care about if you want to grow. But until they figure that out, they can't afford to alienate the remaining fans.
    The Indycar PR people couldn't find their @ss with both hands. If they knew why people tuned in, they wouldn't have the dismal TV ratings on a cable network. It isn't speed that attracts people, it is tradition. The only people left enthused about the sport do it because they are the hard core that are left. People may go to an event in their backyard, such as Houston or the streets of Toronto, but the hardcore faithful are watching because they are fans of racing, and while we would love to see speed records fall at Indy, we go for the racing do we not? THE RACING. REAL racing, not faux foot to the floor drafting matches at Texas or Chicago too.....We need these cars to be beside each other.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    The Indycar PR people couldn't find their @ss with both hands.

Oh they now how to find it. They just have to reach for their neck and slide their hand up.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds to me like Lanigan should be spending his time looking for sponsorship for his team.