Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Goody! Another street festival!

Maybe we can add Baltimore and Gillette Stadium too! That's just what America is hankering for....more street racing!

At this rate, there will be about 4 ovals left by 2011.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Goody! Another street festival!

Maybe we can add Baltimore and Gillette Stadium too! That's just what America is hankering for....more street racing!

At this rate, there will be about 4 ovals left by 2011.
    Show me which oval wants the IRL and I am all for them going Scott. I think and said so in a thread earlier they should be in New Hampshire...but that was when Tony was still running the IRL that they turned down New Hampshire....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not gonna happen...downtown told me so
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    It says in the article the race is planned for October 2011. I don't know how MDS comes up with a May race.
    Well, if its going to be in October it it won't be around Reliant Stadium, because the Houston Texans have football games that month. Also, I didn't say that it would be a May race, just that the move to shorten the Month of May made me some make some calls

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Well, if its going to be in October it it won't be around Reliant Stadium, because the Houston Texans have football games that month. Also, I didn't say that it would be a May race, just that the move to shorten the Month of May made me some make some calls
    They could race in the fall. The property and land around a stadium isn't so tiny that there wouldn't be room for both. The CNE grounds in Toronto where the race is held has trade shows and the Toronto FC soccer stadium in use while the set up and tear down for the race is going on. Both can be accomodated. That said, First week in May makes more SENSE to me....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    They could race in the fall. The property and land around a stadium isn't so tiny that there wouldn't be room for both. The CNE grounds in Toronto where the race is held has trade shows and the Toronto FC soccer stadium in use while the set up and tear down for the race is going on. Both can be accomodated. That said, First week in May makes more SENSE to me....
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the reporter got it wrong, at least according to the two guys I spoke with in Houston. I work in public relations in the south and have some contacts in Houston who work for companies who used to sponsor the race there. They both said they'd been approached about reviving the May race, but couldn't say for certain that it meant it would be revived in May.

When the merger happened in 2008 there was a lot of talk about how Houston could not be accommodated into the 2008 schedule because Kansas couldn't be moved, Indy's schedule couldn't be clipped and The race only has a narrow window because of the cattle show in early April and conflicts with the football schedule in the fall. While it might be possible to have the race while the Texans are playing an away game, or a bye, those things move every year, and the NFL owners more than likely wouldn't allow it.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the reporter got it wrong, at least according to the two guys I spoke with in Houston. I work in public relations in the south and have some contacts in Houston who work for companies who used to sponsor the race there. They both said they'd been approached about reviving the May race, but couldn't say for certain that it meant it would be revived in May.

When the merger happened in 2008 there was a lot of talk about how Houston could not be accommodated into the 2008 schedule because Kansas couldn't be moved, Indy's schedule couldn't be clipped and The race only has a narrow window because of the cattle show in early April and conflicts with the football schedule in the fall. While it might be possible to have the race while the Texans are playing an away game, or a bye, those things move every year, and the NFL owners more than likely wouldn't allow it.
    They can work with the NFL. The owner of the Texans can be I am sure asked for a weekend they book with the NFL as an away game. Cities with teams work around other events all the time. There is no CANT if you don't believe in it. If the promotors of this race in Houston go to the Texan's and work out a deal of some sort, you can bet one weekend a year the race will be booked and the Texan's are on the road. If the Detroit Lions can keep having their home date on Thanksgiving every year, it isn't that hard for the NFL to ensure that the Texans are on the road the 3 rd weekend of September every year...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Do whatever it takes to get Cleveland back on the schedule. It's the best street race there is, by far. If you criticize it, then you never say a race there. Too many epic battles were waged on that course.

Mid-O and Laguna Seca are beautiful venues with challenging tracks and the most famous sets of turns in America, but they do not make for good racing with the Indy cars.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bblocker68
    Do whatever it takes to get Cleveland back on the schedule. It's the best street race there is, by far. If you criticize it, then you never say a race there. Too many epic battles were waged on that course.

Mid-O and Laguna Seca are beautiful venues with challenging tracks and the most famous sets of turns in America, but they do not make for good racing with the Indy cars.
    That's precisely why one of my recommendations for the new formula is to not only make them more competetive through chassis competition, but actually make the cars physically smaller and more nimble, so there is simply more room on a lot of tight tracks.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    That's precisely why one of my recommendations for the new formula is to not only make them more competetive through chassis competition, but actually make the cars physically smaller and more nimble, so there is simply more room on a lot of tight tracks.

how do you make them smaller and maintain safety at 230mph into the wall at indy or texas?

or in an accident similar to Micheal andrettis or kathrine legs at RA?

*I dont disagree.....just not sure it can be done?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!