Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would love to see what would really happen if the cars had the "wheel protectors" and they touched at 225mph in turn three of chicago...I have a hard time being convinced that the briscoe incident would not be repeated. I am not a mechanical genius, or even that smart...but that is a piece of body work that would probably break off.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    If you want rubbing watch Nascar...it's called open wheel racing for a reason.
    Incidental contact shouldn' t mean someone is in the fence at 230mph flying like a frisbee.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The new Swift chassis looks sexy. I like the diffuser implementation to enable a trailing car to retain good downforce levels.

The Dallara chassis....................looks like a Dallara. The red versions looked like concepts that were drawn up in the 90's.

Looking forward to seeing the Delta Wing.
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bblocker68
    The new Swift chassis looks sexy. I like the diffuser implementation to enable a trailing car to retain good downforce levels.

The Dallara chassis....................looks like a Dallara. The red versions looked like concepts that were drawn up in the 90's.

Looking forward to seeing the Delta Wing.
    Pretty much what I was thinking. If the series remains a spec series though, I'm not going to care which design is chosen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Chassis

A couple years ago there was an interview with Brian Barnhardt in Race Car Engineering about this subject with renderings of proposals from various parties. Some had bodywork in front of the tires. I remember one looked a lot like the sportscar noses some F1 cars sported in the late '70's. A comment of Barnhardt's I remember about them was that tires increased overall drag a lot. Adopting bodywork that would shroud the tires would means they'd have to find ways to reduce speed.

Andy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like it. Soooo much better than the current car. It's almost ALMS-esque. Looks good. Build it. Today.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like the one that looks more traditional in photos 2 and 12. I just don't like the whole speed racer look.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Swift is the best option for OWR in America, unfortunately, it will not be chosen by the morons who run the IRL. Instead they're either going to opt for something fat, hideous, shaped like a dildo, or a combination of the three.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Traxel
    A couple years ago there was an interview with Brian Barnhardt in Race Car Engineering about this subject with renderings of proposals from various parties. Some had bodywork in front of the tires. I remember one looked a lot like the sportscar noses some F1 cars sported in the late '70's. A comment of Barnhardt's I remember about them was that tires increased overall drag a lot. Adopting bodywork that would shroud the tires would means they'd have to find ways to reduce speed.

Andy
    This one?

If the engines are only going to have 500 hp or so, maybe they won't really need to find ways to reduce speeds (on ovals). Lighter, sleeker and lower horsepower might put them in the sweet spot.

BTW, I think the Swift "Batmobile" design is pretty interesting. With some tweaks (designs seldom look exactly like the finished product), they could certainly distinguish that from all the other generic formula car designs.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    At one time F1 had body work in front of the front wheels and folks had no trouble still calling them open wheel. So what is so different with this concept?

Gary
    Nobody called them open wheel cars. They called F1 what it is. Formula Car racing.