Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Thumbs up Whaling in Faroe Islands

Just seen this, an annual session of whaling on Faroe Islands. Looks pretty horrifying. It is all the more disgusting given the fact that this is not being done for profit. It is some kind of sports or something.

http://seventeenyears-gone.blogspot....-dolphins.html

I am not a softie, but this meaningless murder looks really bad to me. It would be nice to get some more insight into this and comments from all the Nordic people here.
    Llibertat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I am against whaling. There is very little purpose for it really. That said, we all eat cows, pigs, sheep, chickens and damn near anything else we can lay our hands on, so it is kind of hypocritcal to say Whales are on a higher level than the others....or are they? See, we really have no idea, but I notice we don't eat other primates, so I guess if we truly do believe in the inate intellegence of Whales and the like, then we should ban whaling.

The problem is, some aborginal groups using the traditional way of life need to do whaling. In the Arctic, a whale might save some coastal villages or did in the past.

It is a dirty and ugly thing to do, but I do think we have to draw the line at whales....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I find whaling to be repulsive and horrifying. There are very few of them left and for me their killers are monsters. I am ashamed that I am in the same species as them.
    Formula 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If small numbers of whales are being killed for food by a culture which has a tradition of doing it and it's sustainable then I don't see the problem. Japan on the other hand, I have a problem with that.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    If small numbers of whales are being killed for food by a culture which has a tradition of doing it and it's sustainable then I don't see the problem. Japan on the other hand, I have a problem with that.
    agree, its the commersial killing of whales that pisses off.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    agree, its the commersial killing of whales that pisses off.
    No no Tomi, they're researching
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes they are, but for some reason the research results ends up in restaurants, lol
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    Yes they are, but for some reason the research results ends up in restaurants, lol
    Yeah, you know the stupid thing? Apparently most of the meat never even gets eaten and is just sitting there piling up in freezers.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Taste-testing is research.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Guys, you don't get it. This is NOT commercial. This is some kind of a local feast. They celebrate something by killing whales. This is what I have problems with.
    Llibertat